Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone check out this book...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs up Everyone check out this book...

... as a thank-you for helping out at Pinky's workshops, Pinky gave me a book I was DYING to read for such a long time - 'The Science of Parenting' by Margot Sunderland - I am IN LOVE with this book! Seriously, I can't stress enough how great this book is for everyone to read. It's not a cheapie, $40-$45 but worth every bloomin' cent. Easy to read, hits home and even after the first chapter I swear you will change how you feel about parenting. It will also dig up some of your own cobwebs and I found it very emotional too, it hit home for me.

So do yourself and your bubba or bubbas to be a HUGE favour and get onto it asap. You will be glad you did. Not only does it explain everything about sleep, behaviour probs, tantrums, crying etc... but it gives you real solutions, you can use right away... I am seriously going to read this book until I have finished it. Can't put it down. Don't agree with the discipline section but the rest are so informative!
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 27th, 2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

is it avail at major bookstores .. or do i have to order it ... sounds like something right up my alley

It's now in the BB online store: http://bellybelly.cart.net.au/store/...underland.html for $39.95 - I am not sure about major bookstores.

This book is not airy fairy by the way - it's based on 700 studies and will appeal to all. LOVE IT.

If anyone has read it, or does as a result of this, please post in here and let everyone know what you think. This has the ability to completely change how you parent and understand your children. It makes things alot easier and pleasant for all too - no guilt trips involved - just sudden clarity, even for me.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 27th, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

That sounds amazing Kelly, I am definitely interested... I wonder if Borders has it, cause I have a voucher...

Gotta see if they have it over here in South Africa!!!! I'm excited now....
    ETA - just bought it last night so guess what I will be doing today if DD allows...
    Last edited by Boo Boo; August 26th, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: ETA

My local Booby Club leader recommended this one, too! We're getting it into our group library soon enough...and then I would love to be the first to read it! Sounds like it could be a natural follow up to reading The Vital Touch

This book is fantastic!!
    Too often my DH would say "can't we just leave her to cry a bit" when our DD was crying in her cradle, and I've always flatly refused to do any such thing ... Then I found this book, which is scientific and not airy-fairy, and I said to DH "if there is one book you should read, it's this one" (I have borrowed loads of other baby books too!!) He read the first few chapters and was hooked. Now he understands everything so much better, we're on the same wavelength, and I am happy that we wont have to argue about parenting methods for all eternity Phew. Its a saviour. It puts in to print scientific proof that our mummy-insticts are the right thing to follow

All should read it....

The Science of Parenting is soooo good. I've only just started reading it but I'm enthralled! Always loved human biology at school and all the info on brain chemicals makes so much sense! It's a fairly easy read too. Not rocket science. I have changed my parenting approach immediately... mainly in the way that I speak to my children. it has given me SUCH an incentive not to rant and rave and yell at my kids! Gotta avoid using that Reptilian brain of mine and turning into Dragon Mummy! LOL

Sounds good. Am still trying to read Parenting for a peaceful world (where does the time go?!?) so once I am through that I will look it out.
    Thanks Kelly!

Based on your recommendation (back when I was pregnant) I have finally grabbed a copy of this book. Snagged a deal on Ebay - should arrive next week. Very curious to start reading.

Enchanted Guest

I think I might have to get myself a copy of this....

haydies- i was bidding on this book and you must have beat me!!! how funny!

Oh serious? Wow small world lol!

LOL glad everyone is reading it even if you have to fight over a copy :P
    Kelly xx

yes, i bid $22.35 and you outbid me by 50c! oh well, hopefully i'll get the next one lol!

Hehe if I see another one I'll let you know! Or even, if Savannah lets me read quick, we can share this one =p

FluffyLaRue Guest

I'll have to get a copy of this for my rellies who question my AP style.

Newsflash girls - I bought this book NEW on Amazon for $28 INCLUDING POSTAGE from the US. It costs $45 new at Dymocks/Borders. Admitedly I bought it when the Aussie dollar bought 96 cents US but still you might be able to get a new copy on line for udner $30 if you hunt around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast