Thread: Help with hitting

Default Help with hitting

My son is 2 years old and is going through a phase (a very long phase) of hitting or swiping at people. He's quite shy but very confident which I think people find confusing as they thing he's comfortable with them talking or touching him. He's ok with me and my mum, we escape the hitting but my oh gets he brunt of it when he wants me to do things like wipe his face or even get him a drink! And he's now getting worse with strangers, today he swiped at a woman in the supermarket just because she looked at him.

We always tell him that it hurts people when he hits them and makes them feel sad. We tell him he can say no (which he does but while hitting) if he doesn't want somebody to touch him/talk to him and we try to enforce his 'no's' if we're with family that think touching a child is their right. It's just getting worse however and now I'm at a loss at what to do as it's becoming more a problem.

I'd love to hear some suggestions?

Default Re: Help with hitting

Sounds hard. I would hold hands while he practices saying no, maybe try a carrier for outside so he can snuggle into you rather than looking around. Hth.

My DS is also going through this stage however its me that copes it. He does not do it at daycare thank goodness. Just this morning I got a slap for trying to brush his teeth. Most times I can catch his arm and say No, however this morning my hands were busy. Its such an annoying stage. With DH he throws things. Whatever he is holding or can grab he will throw if frustrated or not wanting to do as he is asked. I know its a stage and one I look forward to ending.

I have tried telling him how much it hurts me, but by that stage he is too upset to listen. Sometimes if I can see its a deliberate one he is sent to his time out chair. He is distraught when he does it so I guess its good he has empathy. I know its his under developed brain and so know we just have to ride it out.

Sorry I dont have any suggestions but am keen for what others have tried also

Quote Originally Posted by vic261 View Post
    I have tried telling him how much it hurts me, but by that stage he is too upset to listen. Sometimes if I can see its a deliberate one he is sent to his time out chair. He is distraught when he does it so I guess its good he has empathy. I know its his under developed brain and so know we just have to ride it out.
    Time-outs are not effective and may be the cause of the frustration he is feeling. Gentle parenting, if I understand it correctly, is about neither rewards, nor punishments. A time-out is a form of punishment. I'm a father of a one-year-old, so I might be wrong about this, but what I would try to do is understand why he's hitting, then help him get over whatever it is.