Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

Dd stayed on our room til 4y1m ish, in toddler bed, until she moved to her own room and get double bed so I'm not much help.

I would think if you're planning on moving her, keeping "her" bed with her would be a good move so at least some things are familiar kwim?

thats what i though BG, better than going 'backwards' and moving her into the cot...

from the rest of this thread it seems 16months is about average. I thought it would have been at the young end. (your girl BG obviously pulling the average up =) )

We ended up moving DD1 into her own room at about 15 months, we took the cot off the side of our bed and had it with one side off like a toddler bed. Then at around 17 months we bought her a double bed she still wakes through the night, but DH will go in to her and will end up cosleeping with her in there.

DD2 is 9.5 months and is in bed with us. We're hoping to transition her into DD1's bed anywhere between 16-24 months (basically when she and DD1 are ready).

dd moved to a king single bed in her own room at 18 months. ds got his single bed (in room with dd) at 12 months, but still visits us most nights at 20 months. Hope to have ds more consistent in his bed by 2 years when #3 is due.

DD was in her own room around 9 months. Her cot had been in our room until then and we just moved the cot. I am going against the grain here but I was glad to have my own space back to be honest! I stirred every time she stirred and she was a noisy, grunty sleeper so I never slept well with her in our room.

DS was in our room in a cot till about 6 months, then into his own room.
    It worked fine at first but around 6 months he started to get disturbed by our noises when we'd come to bed, especially my DH who would often work late and then come in and read for a while in bed around 2am or so.
    But due to travel he's been in our room for several months at a time since then. Now he's nearing 4 and will often come into our bed for a bit at night.

Ds has always slept in our bed. He has always had his own for when he or we need some space, but he is always welcome to sleep with us. He tells us that he gets lonely sleeping in his own room and bed. He is almost 6.

DD originally moved into her own room at 6 months, then when I was pg with DS she wanted to be back with us. So we put a mattress on floor. Then DS was born and they both slept in our room. We moved them out into a shared room when DS was 12 months and Dd was almost 3. They still share 3 years on.

I moved mine to their own rooms at different ages. Dd1 5 months, dd2 9 months, DS 6 or so months, dd3 was about 14 months before she finally was moved out.
    All of them came into my bed though the older girls were in our bed on occasion til 3 or 4. DS is 5 & in my bed 2 or 3 nights a week. Dd3 starts out in hers, & comes into mine every night. She's 3 next week

2 years for the first two! And that's the plan for dd2 as well. Both the older ones have been happy to go into their own beds then so I'm hoping it's the same for her.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by ~TT40~ View Post
    Spock is 16months, and sleeps in a single bed next to our bed. I'm thinking of moving her into her own room. but I plan on moving the single bed too, so not sure if 16 months is too young to be in a bed... how do you know if they are ready?
    I go by when they are sleeping through the night OR when they are old enough to get out of bed and come to me if they wake. i don't want to move them only for me to be up and down all night.

Quote Originally Posted by ~TT40~ View Post
    from the rest of this thread it seems 16months is about average. I thought it would have been at the young end. (your girl BG obviously pulling the average up =) )
    Among my 'real life' friends it is rare for kids to still be sharing with their parents at 12 months, or even 6 months.

there are only 3 of us in this house and we have musical beds constantly. DD has her own room which she rarely uses! She has moved into her own room many times, only to end up back in ours. Tonight DD and DH are sleeping in the lounge and I am in my bed. I don't think it is important where we sleep as long as we get a good night's sleep.

My kids have all been around the age of 2 when they started sleeping in their own rooms. All my kids co-slept. DD3 co-sleeps with us probably 5 nights in a week now.

Around 2 years for both. But they were both having day sleeps in their big bed in their room from about 18 months. Never had any problems with them getting out or anything.

We still cosleep with dd almost 5 and ds 2.5.

Dd did start to sleep in her own bed at two but when I had ds I found it easier to lie down and feed him in my bed and have her fall asleep next to me: two kids asleep easily then! Now I am expecting number 3 we will trial 3 kids in the bed with us, but if it doesn't work we will get a double for the older two.

I'm in no rush. They will let me know when they're ready.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123