Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

Default How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

With my first we shared a room for 6 months before moving him into his own room, many reasons but mostly I thought that was the done thing

This time around, am hoping to keep Buster in with us for as long as we can but am curious as to how this works as they get older? Was there a point where you had to creep around and not make much noise? What age did your kids go into their very own room?

Did they move in with a sibling? How did this work? Hoping the boys might be able to share a room if Buster continues to sleep well.

With DS it was an on/off thing as we tried not to co-sleep - he was in his own bed by 2
    DD is still in with me at 16 months

Ds is 17 months and in our room. We have a double bed that dh and ds co sleep in and a single that I sleep in.

We are in the process of transitioning ds into the single and then hopefully into his own room at around Christmas.

DD is 10 months and in with me, also in my bed. No idea when she'll move. Maybe when the baby comes, but maybe not. I have no clue, haven't thought that far ahead yet

Thanks for the replies girls, no one I know IRL co sleeps at all so feeling like the odd one out! I'd like him in with us for at least a year, lucky we have a king but don't think I could squeeze a single in here unfortunately!

PZ - you made me lol, I have an awful habit of thinking way too far ahead.

My first part coslept and part in cot in my room till 18months, second same as first but more often my bed her dad left when she was 6 months. Booth own rooms at around 2. Third dd coslept or in hammock/cot in our room till 20 months then her too. When we moved house, she still came into our bed every night till close on three when she stopped bf.

DD1 slept in our room, initially in our bed, later in her cot till she was 18 months old. We just followed her lead. She made it quite clear that she no longer wanted to co-sleep in bed with me at around 6 months. When we transferred her to her own room at 18 months, she was absolutely fine from the first night and I've been using any excuse to try and get her to sleep with me ever since

It's really been musical beds with DD2 (both DP and I have co-slept with her but in different rooms) but now she is in her 'own' room so I start the night in my bedroom then go into her room if she wakes up (which she usually does at some point during the night). I have a double bed in there so transfer her from her cot to the bed and co-sleep with her if and when she wakes. She's 20 months old. DD1 thinks she's missing out and is now insisting on sleeping in the cot with DD2 which, after my initial hesitation, I'm cool with. DD1 could sleep for Australia so I'm hoping that she'll teach DD2 how to sleep. DD2 has been sleeping better (and sometimes right through) with DD1 in with her.

We're still bedsharing at 13 months, I don't think that'll ever stop

My parents bedshared with all three of us early on, and I think we had our own beds from about 3ish, but we were always welcome in their bed (with fair warning!) until we grew out of needing help to sleep My mum used to lay next to both my brothers in their beds until they was asleep up until about five or six. She probably did that with me too but I don't remember.

Reading that, it seems like my parents are super-duper AP parents lol - they're not, really, my mum's just a big softy and loves us to death

DS slept in our room until 7 or so months (in a portacot or our bed) when he started waking up and deciding if he could see us we should all get up and play... we then moved him to his own room and the proper cot. this time around i think we will do the same, when we start disturbing each other we will put bub in with DS (mainly cos our spare room is DH workshop :LOL bubs in the cot and DS hopefully have already been transitioned into a single....

First one 4 months. Second probably 4 weeks. Both my kids were anti co-sleepers no matter how hard we tried LOL!

But they come in for cuddles now, and both of the kids will happily snuggle up to each other when they can't sleep which is equally cute. So it's all good.

Miss G was in the bassinet next to our bed for about 3 weeks, and her sleep patterns were terrible. Moved her into her cot in her own room and she slept great. Now she sleeps in the portacot next to my bed when dh is on nights or has mates over late but otherwise she has always been happier in her own room! I initially thought 3 weeks was way too young for her to be on her own but that's how she liked it

DD1 was in my bed until 2 and then in her own bed in our room until almost 3 when she got her own bedroom. We never felt we had to creep around, especially when she was in her own bed. Now DD2 is in bed with us and there was a brief overlap of all 4 of us in the bedroom! We moved her to her own bedroom when she started regularly sleeping through and because we wanted to avoid the baby's night stirring, waking up the toddler. Worked brilliantly for us.

We plan to move DD2 in with DD1 when she is sleeping through regularly. I imagine it will go well, DD1 already asks when they can share a room often and I think DD2 will find having DD1 close comforting. I think she will sleep through sooner than DD1 did (already does 7hr stretches which DD1 didn't do till around 2 lol) but still thinking it will be in a year or two.

Default How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

DS still doesn't sleep in his own room (he's 4). We co-slept for about 3 years and now he likes to sleep on the lounge.. He really doesn't like his room at all (think I know why) but can't change anything around without it being too much of a PITA (SO much stuff in his room and the other room). He may not even sleep in there if we did change it all around anyway so

We're hoping to move this year anyway so once we move, he'll hopefully sleep in his room..

Ds cosleeps with us at 9mo. We have no plans to stop yet, and no set time in the future when we want to either. I would like to read his cues and move him when he's ready, but I also want that to be after this winter at the very earliest. We live in an old style house with no insulation and it gets very cold. We have a fireplace but I just don't know if he would be warm enough all on his own. We bought a beautiful cot when I was pregnant and have it set up as a super fun play area that ds can go to if we need to leave him for a few minutes.

Excuse my sucky spelling, I'm on my iPhone

DS is 2 and 9 months and sil in our room (because we only have one room.) and climbs in with us every night around 3am.
    We're hopefully moving soon, then he'll have his own room. Not sure how that will go...

Ds was in his own room from 9 months but i still coslept with him until he was about 21 months. He got croup just after he turned 2 & then slept with us for a few more weeks before deciding he wanted to go back to his own bed. He goes through phases where he'll jump in with us during the night.

Dd is in a bassinet next to our bed at the moment. After ds' horrendous sleeping, im keen to set the cot up as a sidecar to the bed but dp isnt keen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

DD co slept on and off until she was 3, DS1 until he was 2 1/2ish and DS2 is still co sleeping full time with me. The bigger kids do still come in to me or DH (we sleep in different beds because he doesn't like to co sleep with the baby! Plus he needs to sleep so he can work). But it's not every night anymore. DS1 will come in maybe 3ish times a week, and DD maybe 1-2 times a week. Sometimes I have all 3 kids in the bed, more often I end up with just DS2 in there. They all start out in their own beds. I'm hoping one morning I might wake up to discover all 3 of them stayed int heir own beds!

With DD it was under 1, because like you, that what we thought people did. It sucked.
    DS was 2 but he still comes in regularly at 3.
    DD2 has her cradle next to the bed and that's the way it will stay....even though her 'room' is my study that is directly off my room and her cradle would only be maybe 1 metre further away lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast