Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

Still in with me in my bed (king size) at 2 years old. No idea when that will change...but bound to one day!

Still in our room at almost 3. Day sleeps in her room. But overnight in ours. She sometimes wakes, and our house us very long between our room and hers, do its easier having her with us. We thought about trying to move her but meh, it works for us.

We don't exactly creep around. We always have music on, we talk in hushed tones. But we do that when she isn't there too cos we deem the bedroom a quiet relaxing place...
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; April 14th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Our first son we had his cot in our room and he started the night in there, then came into our bed. At about 14 months we moved house and couldn't fit the cot so we put him in the room across the hall and had both doors open but technically he wasn't in our room anymore. He still came into our bed when he woke up. He started sleeping though at about 19 months old so he was in his room full time from then on. Now if he wakes we resettle him back in his bed.

Youngest baby has had the same drill and is now 16 months old with his cot in our room but spends most the night in bed with us.

We totally creep around and whisper and keep the lights off.

DD slept in her bassinet in our room until she was 4 months old, then converted into the portacot and she stayed there until she was 7 months old. She wasn't waking for feeds, just waking up restless and I realised DH's snoring was waking her up, so we put her in her own room. For a few weeks she slept through, but then started wanting to come into bed with us, so she'd start in her own bed and then come in with us later. This kept going until January this year and now she sleeps through in her own room.

DD has been in and out of my room/bed but it's usually been dependent on living situation

She is 6 now and has her own room but often sleeps in with me (especially when her diabetes is playing up as then I just roll over to sort her out)

This little one has a corner in my room set up but were only in a 2 bedroom house, so again it's due to living situation. I we end up here for years I may put them both in my room as its bigger and have the smaller room (DD is all for this as well!)

First one - 10 days. We weren't sleeping well, newborn grunty noises keeping us awake. DS's bedroom was right next door so just kept both doors open. No regrets at all!

This one, probably the night we get home from hospital and then he/she will go into its own room.

I don't know how you mamas do it!!!

With DD we co-slept for ages (months but can't remember how many). Funny thing is I didn't even know it was a "concept". I just did it because I liked the snuggling. She then went into a cot in my room. She stayed there until my ex and I split. Then it was back in mummy's bed. She was two. I think we both needed it. I met DP six weeks or so later...
    Then she moved into her own room gradually because...uuummmm...well, you know....

DD was in out of the bassinet and into her cot in her room at around 3 months..
    Its only been in the last 12 months or so that every now and then she'll end up in our bed at some stage through the night..
    but when i broke my arm 2 months ago, she would sleep in my bed (for a few reasons) and now that my arms better and eveything is back to "normal" we are in the process of getting her back in her own bed..

let me add, when DH is away (works FIFO) i LOVE having her in my bed, but when hes home there just isnt enough room lol, plus its hard to have "our" time with a toddler sprawled across your bed..

oh and to answer about lights etc.. no, we have lamps on either side of the bed, will turn one on if we have to (im a master at walking around in the dark.. DH on the other hand though...) we dont yahoo and carry on, its pretty much like normal.. probably used a little more hushed tones than normal, but no lip reading or anything LOL. shes a pretty heavy sleeper like her father..
    Last edited by Stevie; April 14th, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added stuffs

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

DS was in our room and we used varying degrees of co-sleeping for 12 months (in our bed/side-cot thingy), now he's in his own room but we co-sleep in our bed from the first/second wake up. It works for us, cos we still get to read in bed at the beginning of the night, and still get family snuggles in the morning

DD1 was in a cradle next to our bed for probably 2 months. Then we moved her out into the family room (next door room to ours). She moved upstairs to her own bedroom around a month later. She was sleeping really well through the night and her noises were waking me.

DD2 slept on me in our bed for probably 7 months. Not what I wanted but the only way she, and therefore I, could get any sleep.

This baby we'll play by ear. I plan on having her in a hammock next to our bed for a while at least. I like having them right next to me in the beginning and also want to minimise middle of the night disruptions for DDs 1 and 2. That's the plan anyway - which probably means none of it will happen!

DD slept in our room in her bassinet until about 6 months when we couldn't possibly squeeze her in anymore (it wouldn't have lasted anywhere near that long if her arms weren't kept inside her sleeping bag lol). She then went into her cot in her own room. She was totally fine with it but it took a bit of adjusting for me as I was sooo used to having her right next to me.

Default How long did you share a room with your baby/child?

All these mamas & babies sleeping together makes me happy ((^_^)) we also fell into it & for a while it felt like we were the odd ones out for doing it. We transition from bed to bedside cot to kids bedroom by about 6-8 mths. Also we Used a tea tree snuggle bed for DD but DS is too chunky for it

14 weeks in the bassinett next to us but I thought she'd sleep better in her own room, still in the bassinette. Now DD is 4.5 yo and still comes into bed with us most nights. She starts in her room but ends up walking down on her own anytime from midnight. Most times she sleeps through without a problem unless she is unwell then she is a nightmare to sleep with!

With DS we first had him in a bassinett next to our bed, then his cot in our room. At 6.5 months we moved him into his own room. He wasn't sleeping well, and for some reason I thought moving him to his own room would help. Couldn't have been more wrong! DS was a horrid sleeper and I lost a lot of sleep by having him in a separate room. He is in his own room now though, and sleeps through almost every night.

Having learnt what I did from DS, I decided to co-sleep with DD. First she was in a bassinet next to our bed, but she didn't always sleep in it - she often ended up in bed with us. When she got too big for the bassinet we turned the cot into a sidecar cot and it has been wonderful. DD doesn't actually sleep in the cot very much, but it gives us that little bit of extra room and I don't have to worry about DH rolling onto her. DD turns one in a couple of weeks and I can't see her moving into her own room anytime soon. Co-sleeping has saved me a lot of sleep, and until DD is sleeping through (or at least sleeping longer than 3 hour stretches) she'll be staying snuggly close next to me .

Quote Originally Posted by TeniBear View Post
    my mum's just a big softy and loves us to death
    Teni - what a gorgeous way to describe your mum

DS2 - turned 2 last week & still snuggling up every night. He loses it if I'm not there, even if I am there but not holding/feeding him he loses it. I'm just keeping the faith that most 15yo's aren't still snuggling with mum and eventually he'll want his own space. DS1 is with us most nights, and he's going to be 5 soon. DS1 only started to do the co-sleeping thing since DS2 was born though. And now DH has decamped to DS1's bed, to get a better night's sleep. Which secretly works for all of us, cos he can snore like a freight train

We still end up with the 3 youngest DD's in the bed with us most nights. We bought a king size bed but DF still ends up smooshed on the edge of the bed DD4 is nearly 1 and sleeps with us every night

bumping this thread.

Spock is 16months, and sleeps in a single bed next to our bed. I'm thinking of moving her into her own room. but I plan on moving the single bed too, so not sure if 16 months is too young to be in a bed... how do you know if they are ready?

bumping this thread.

Spock is 16months, and sleeps in a single bed next to our bed. I'm thinking of moving her into her own room. but I plan on moving the single bed too, so not sure if 16 months is too young to be in a bed... how do you know if they are ready?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast