Thread: Question for those who co-sleep

Default Question for those who co-sleep

Hi there. It wasn't until the birth of my 3rd bubba that I finally attempted co-sleeping. All the positives I had read about happened... we both slept better, bubs woke less frequently, I was finally waking up refreshed during that early newborn phase when I had previously felt like a zombie. And... I had a very contented baby.

However, in the early weeks it was easy enough to co-sleep at night and put DS down to sleep in his cradle by day whilst I attended to housework and my other kids. But as time went on and DS became more alert, he became increasingly unsettled during the day and distressed at the prospect of being placed in his cradle for day sleeps. I was able to wear him in my wrap for short periods, but with lower back problems & a small frame, housework and other children to attend to - this was simply not a viable option long-term. It got to the point where I really felt I had created a massive problem for myself, as my previous 2 children had never been so upset at the prospect of being without me at nap time. So as fond as I was of the night-time co-sleeping, I ended up calling it quits :-(

So, long story short - here I am with baby #4 ... again feeling the lure of co-sleeping (we kinda alternate and 'accidentally' end up co-sleeping at the moment). But I am afraid of creating that 'nap time separation anxiety syndrome' during the daytime. It's even harder for me to waltz around baby wearing this time, as I have nerve damage to my lower spine, am living in the sweaty tropics, have a very demanding 18 month old and am homeschooling my eldest. In short - baby needs to sleep without me during day.

Any advice ladies?? If not, it felt good to complain about this issue, at least.

I have been nursing my daughter to sleep. Before she could roll and once we worked out nursing laying down, we'd both lay in bed, she'd fall asleep and I would escape. Then when she started rolling I created a bit of a pillow fort but now she's definitely on the move so I will nurse her to sleep then once she's asleep, transfer her to the cot. With babywearing, have you tried a high back carry? You may still have issues, but I find that even with a lower back injury, I can back carry literally all day. And have done on many occasions. Front and hip carries I can only get away with for a very short time though. Another suggestion could be (assuming baby #4 won't go down in the cot for day sleeps) trying the pram?

hammock for baby so you can rock him/her through next sleep cycle.

feed bub to sleep and then leave them on your bed/mattress on the floor.

I don't know that cosleeping is the cause of your #3 unsettledness, i largely coslept (alternated between bedsharing and using a hammock for baby), and both kids were different in their sleep patterns. DD was only ever a short napper, but DS got to a 3 hour nap for awhile.
    Last edited by HotI; July 29th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks for the responses ladies.
    I was feeding DS to sleep during the day until a couple of weeks ago when he became more wakeful during the day. Now he still seems quite alert after feeds which is making things harder. I have also tried wearing him in my sling until he passes out, then transferred him to the cradle, which also worked for awhile but is becoming less successful as he becomes more aware. (Plus the noise from the other kids doesn't help!)

Miss Dee - which carrier do you have? I am just using one of those material wrap hugabub style things (which I love), but am unable to configure it so bubs is on the back. Would like to try this.

Thanks for suggestion of Hammock HotI - I will look into this one.

i too would be hesitant to think that it was the cosleeping that created the separation sleep issues with your DS3....

i coslept with my last two kids and they are such different sleepers to eachother. i really think that sleep is a human to human thing...its different for each and everyone of us ITMS.

i have found that DD3 will on most days go down ok with a boob to her bed during the day. but there are days when i can see that she just needs me to be there and i try to do that for her and we cuddle up and boob it up in bed for that sleep. it does mean a bit of TV for the older kids if need be. but we generally then are all ready for fun once that nap is done.