Thread: What inspires and informs your parenting?

Default What inspires and informs your parenting?

It's been awfully quiet in here lately. And I've noticed that where I used to come to BB more to get information and inspiration, I've been reading more blogs and articles. Some Aus stuff, but mostly from the US.

I've read some amazing articles (and a few questionable ones) and have collected a long list of links that I can refer back to and share. I've also liked a few pages on FB so I get regular links to things on my newsfeed. And, even in my time-poor, exhausted state a short article is often enough to give me a little glimmer of inspiration to hold my nerve, be more patient, creative or compassionate that day or to give me a new take on how to handle sibling conflict, toddler defiance or whatever.

I'm keen to bring some of what I'm reading 'out there', on to the forum for discussion and to know what inspires you.

So...
    What articles/blogs/books about parenting do you read?
    Who do you talk to about parenting?
    Is there anyone who you admire, seek guidance from or emulate?
    Do you follow a particular style or theory?

And... here's my bid to get the gentle parenting conversation going a bit more...

If there's a topic that's inspired you, an issue that you're stuck on in your own parenting, an article that could inspire healthy discussion... I dare you to start a thread about it. I promise I'll do my best to comment on it!

I read:
    Core Parenting
    Elevating Childcare
    Handsfree Mama
    Parenting beyond punishment
    Evolutionary parenting
    Linda Knost
    Barefoot Barn
    ... all semi-regularly and then read other things that they link to.

Happy to send you my link-list or articles on particular topics if anyone is interested. xo

Default Re: What inspires and informs your parenting?

Good ideas :-)
    I'll come back and comment when I've had some sleep.

I have a few friends, who generally FB link the exact same style as our parenting, so I use them as a guide of what to read.

What articles/blogs/books about parenting do you read? - there is nothing I really make a point of reading about of parenting, but I do read all sorts of things that pop up on my News feed. I suppose I am most interested in articles about resilience and independence. I like Bren? Brown links, although most are not about parenting - but I think about the ideas in those in terms of parenting. I occasionally read Elevating Childcare

Who do you talk to about parenting? Friends a bit, and my parents.

Is there anyone who you admire, seek guidance from or emulate? Mainly my parents (but they didn't really 'think' alot about parenting, so is difficult to extrapolate from that, but I do try and emulate them somewhat by going with my gut instinct somewhat and thinking of how I would like to be dealt with in a situation)

Do you follow a particular style or theory? No. I just don't think I am much of a theory person.