Thread: Confused by BGLs

Default Confused by BGLs

I've been testing my levels and they are all within normal range..... However I'm confused
    (I did pass the 1 hour but because they automatically take 2 hour tests at my hospital I had 3 lots of blood taken).....

Now today, I pushed the limits a bit and bought chocolate. I ate lunch 45 minutes later and tested as per usual 2 hours later - bgl was 5.9, higher than usual for me (average is 5.1 after food) then another 2 hours later I had a pounding headache so out of interest I took my bgl again and it was 6.3. My bgl had risen still after 2 hours and higher 4 hours after a meal (4.5 hours after chocolate).

Is this normal?? It's like my body starts off fine but stops or slows down after awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a bit of fat in the meal? Fat slows digestion down so can delay blood sugar rises, hence chocolate being quite fatty has a delayed effect and other foods as well......pizza is a huge one for doing that!

I've finally found some research on it, must have been using the wrong words.

And yes it was possibly fat content, other than the chocolate I only had a cooked ham and cheese sandwich for lunch (and ate my dds single left over party pie). I'm still learning (and today pushed limits because my levels had been soooooo good, slap on the wrist for me)

I just read about the pizza effect too thank you!!

I think I've just obsessed a little prior to getting my monitor (really limiting carbs, sugar, bought foods) that I decided I would "test" my one vice!! I'm sure that pie didn't help either - it's not what I'd normally eat anyway.

6 is still a good number! good luck with keeping them down

Ok no I still don't understand..... If I get two readings of 6.5 or above I'm on insulin, if I get 1 of 8 or higher I'm on insulin....... So 6.3 was kind of pushing it in my mind (however for a non pregnant person it is good)

But we had a function tonight, I finally had to ask for a salad sandwich when all the food came out it was fried finger foods.

So salad sandwich it was - no butter no mayo just lettuce carrot cucumber and onion on multi grain bread. Only drank water all day and actually exercised. my reading 2 hours after dinner was 5.9 which was fine but another hour and a half later and my bgl had risen to 6.5. I hadn't had anything else in that time :/

I technically don't need to report it but think I might just call on Monday and see what the diabetes educator says. My levels for the full day were good, 3.9 fasting, 4.7 after breakfast (2 weetbix - not the best but all we had left before shopping tomorrow) 5.5 after lunch (1/4 cup pasta with chicken, corn peas and carrot) then went for a walk (including 4 flights of stairs which almost killed me lol - I've done those stairs for 7 years its funny how much harder they are at the moment) then a late dinner (salad sandwich - not the usual type of dinner for me). I had an apple at morning tea and mandarin at afternoon tea.

Without cutting certain carbs (like bread - although at home i use a low gi bread and ive been fine) severely I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?? Any pointers??

Thanks

Default Confused by BGLs

I would think those readings would of been good? I was always told that under 6 was what we wanted to achieve, When I had gestational diabetes with my son I had to go on insulin but my readings where routinely between 6.5 to 8.9 even up to 11.9 and I used to think yikes I ate healthy too but then mine was more an immune system problem the worst thing is thinking about everything that goes in your mouth...sounds like your eating healthy though good luck

The protocols for "safe sugar levels" in GD has just changed. They have lowered the "acceptable" sugar level limit before they give you insulin. So that's why you're being asked to keep it lower MD. I don't understand the reason for the protocol change and am not saying its right or wrong - I just know its recently changed.

Thanks girls.

Had my first "bad" reading after switching to Special K (as per what the dietitian said) which had me in tears. 7.2, it wasn't a large bowl either. This morning was 6.4 on Special K too.

I had the failing feeling I think more than anything!! Like I should be able to control it and one bad reading or borderline readings make me feel like I'm doing something wrong!!

I can tell myself all I like its in the hands of the hormones and placenta but it just doesn't make me feel better.

It was funny a friend on Friday said "oh I thought only overweight people got it" hmmmm no lol

Your levels are actually pretty good. My gd doc said anything under 6 fasting and under 7 2hr after food was great. He also said if I was going to be norty then do it after my after dinner level was taken.
    Hope you don't have to do insulin but if you do it's not as bad as it seems

Thanks bubba, like MG said the acceptable levels have been reduced which doesn't help.

It's under 5.3 fasting, 2 readings of 6.5 and over in 48 hours or 1 reading of 8 and its onto insulin.

I think I'm just worried because my insulin needs haven't even peaked yet (around 35 weeks I've read??) and what's worse, the higher readings aren't even when I've been naughty making me too scared to even have a chocolate or cake (when our bdays finally get here)

^^ Don't worry too much about that. My levels didn't change at all during my pg. In actual fact they stayed consistent even though I was being told constantly that it was going to be harder to manage as I went further along in my pg.
    One of the ladies in my bb group (on here) has GD and she seems to have sorted out her levels and she is 35 weeks now.
    It really is trial and error with foods though. Some things would set me off and others that I thought would (like hot chips) wouldn't. If Special K is giving you grief, I'd not eat it or weigh it out each day to make sure it is the Special K that is playing around with your levels. (ie: measure out 1 cup) I found sometimes that even eating the same b'fast each morning my levels could be hampered by what I ate the night before, even though my night levels were fine.