Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GD testing question

I had GD with DD1 and borderline with DD2...i did the long tests both times. DD1 came back at 8.0 after long test (so GD confirmed) DD2 came back at 7.0 after the long test, no GD. With DD2 I still monitored my levels fasting before breakfast, and then 2 hours after each meal (breakfast, lunch dinner). My levels with DD2 were all over the place and i did another long GD test at 34 weeks which still came back under for GD, but my care provider advised to eat as i would've had i been GD positive. In the end, the jury was still out on whether or not i had GD (i still think i did) as DD2 was 9pd 4ouncs at birth (I requested an induction with AROM at 38 weeks) yet DD2 who i had full blown GD requiring insulin injections was 7pd 14oz at birth at 39.5weeks.

It should also be noted that sugary food is only a small contributor to insulin levels. It is the foods with carbs (eg, pasta) which tend to have the bigger effect on levels, because it is how your body converts the insulin in those foods which has the impact. With DD1, rice, pasta, noodles and bananas all sent my levels skyrocketing.
    Last edited by ~Gee_Whizzy~; June 27th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Default GD testing question

I want to avoid the test, is this possible? I'm not in any way overweight and I was all clear last pregnancy.

Just checked my receipt from this morning, my brand of strips are $52.69 for 100 without the card and $15.50 with the card, if you are testing 4 times a day (which you have to if you have GD) that 100 lasts 25 days

Connie - you can refuse testing.

Connie - I didn't bother with the test while pg with DD2 and won't this time either, for the same reasons as you. No risk factors, tiny babies and zero diabetes in my family anywhere. I just told my m/w I didn't want it.

My Dad has Type 2 diabetes so I'll see if he has a card.

$52 for 100 strips doesnt seem to bad if it will give me an indicator of what my BSL's are over time, so I might just go get a monitor. Can anyone recommend one that keeps good records?

lionsandbears i'll PM you

I had insulin controlled GD with DS. I had the test with DD1 and it was clear but my midwife and I thought it was odd to go from high dose insulin to fine so I opted to monitor in case it developed later (it didn't). Over here a midwife can write a script for the machine and strips. I didn't bother with the test and went straight to monitoring with DD2. I didn't get it that time either.

If the GTT test bothers you then it isn't a huge investment to get the strips. If you go that way then I would suggest testing fasting levels when you wake, then every once in a while test after your evening meal (2 hours later, no snacking before you test). From memory if it hasn't appeared by the 32/34 week mark then it is very unlikely to.

Levels seem to peak in the low 30 weeks and then stabilise around 36 weeks (well, that's what the endo told me and was the case with both pg).

If your dad has type 2 he well most likely have the ndss card and then you just need to get them from a ndss affiliated chemist

I decided just to do the GTT test. I called Melb Path to make an appointment, because I thought that's what I needed to do with Ds1, from memory. They said I didn't need to make an appointment. Does that sound right? Their website doesn't contradict that advice. I can just show up and they'll be able to give me the drink?

Default GD testing question

From what I remember... Yes.

Yes for the first test you just go in, no prep and get the drink and blood test.

If you wanted to cut to the chase you could ask if you could have the 2 hour test first up?

I have always had to book in but I am in NSW... I have always done the 75g GTT or OGTT

I just did the GTT at Melb Path & no need to book in, You just rock up first thing in the morning & have the drink

I've never booked.

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12