Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #7

Default Gestational Diabetes Chatter #7

Welcome to the BellyBelly Gestational Diabetes General Chatter thread
    If you have any questions or experiences with Gestational Diabetes that you'd like to share or discuss, please feel free to do so in this thread.

Your Moderators of this forum are:

Your Administrator of this forum is Kathryn If at any time you'd like to make a suggestion (which we always welcome!), provide any feedback for this forum or make a complaint, please contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

Looking for Moderator and Admin Emails? Please see this post.

We appreciate all your feedback as it does help to make our forums a much happier, relaxed place to chat! Your comments will be taken seriously and treated with confidentiality, so please feel free to contact us anytime!

Don't forget to read the two BellyBelly threads on Gestational Diabetes:

Article by Henci Goer on Gestational Diabetes: The Emperor Has No Clothes
    Gestational Diabetes & Induction

Your old thread is here

Better write something so i dont miss any posts
    Im on insulin now, 6 units at night. I think my Dr will increase it again as my fasting level is sitting just on 5.5 most mornings. My levels during the day are excellent, havent gone over yet

Just subscribing

Hi girls

I'm having my GTT test on Thursday as the first test came back with levels of 7.9 - only 0.1 above their cut off but still enough for me to progress to the next level of testing.

Fingers crossed my results come back ok with this one.

Good luck Jaycee!

Hi Ladies

Do you mind if I join??

Will give you a bit of a background on me. I failed the GT test by only .2 (my hossy likes levels to be at 7.7 and I was 7.9) then after the GTT test I came back at 9.1.
    So here I am! I met with the Diabetes educator yesterday and found out the info and spoke to the dietican.

So far I'll be honest I'm really confused......When working out my diet with the lady I pretty much have to DOUBLE the amount of carbs Im eating (which totally confused me because arent you supposed to be just watching your portion sizes and cutting back on carbs??) and all of my levels have been either 3.5 or 3.8 even after meals...

So yeah I'm waiting to see my midwife at my next appt and will hopefully get some more info from her. But for the moment I'm still going with it and doing what I'm told, being a good lil girl! lol

I'd Love to hear all your stories and whats been happening in your experiences with it so far.

Hi kristy, my level was exactly the same as yours, 7.9 and I am doing the 2 hour test as we speak. Praying for a good outcome, sorry to hear you failed the second test.

Hi Kristy..... It is very confusing at first, the thing with the carbs is all about eating the right kind of carbs. Your low GI 'good' carbs. You will get used to the changes. Your levels are a little low tho, are you getting hungry? Its important to make sure you dont go hungry.

Good luck Jaycee

Hey Jaycee! How have you been?
    Oh Good luck with the GTT! Its boring sitting there for so long hey? I hope you pass this one!

Jaki - Thanks! Yeah it is very confusing, I'm not a big eater so I'm finding that the diet they suggested has me eating twice as much. I do eat alot of low GI foods as a just a course of my everyday diet so I havent had to change too much so far which has been good.
    Like normally I only have 2 wheat bix for breakfast (which is a medium GI food) but its only 1 serve of carb's and they told me to have 3-4 serves at a main meal, which means I'd have to have 2 pieces of multigran bread aswell!

Does that sound right to you? and whats been suggested to you aswell?

I wasn't too hungry when I did my levels (around 8.15 this morning) but I usually eat my morning tea around 9ish so I got hungry then.

Maybe I'm just getting used to the routine or something, but I just expected my levels to be up around the 5-7 mark...

My dietician is telling me to eat way more than i am but my diabetes Dr is telling me not to if i am not hungry. I only eat 2 wheatbix and im large so if it fills me up its enough!

lol I like that much better! I dont think I will listen to the Dietican completely...I think I might follow them in terms of "dont have anymore than that" but I'm not going to force myself to eat more...

Congratulations on your little boy! How exciting! Looking forward to meeting him?

Is it a normal procedure to be induced if you have GDM? Or can you try and push not to be induced?

As far as im aware it depends on how big they get, but they dont like you to go past your due date. My not so wee fella is measuring a week and a half ahead so im pretty sure he will make an early exit

Yay for hopefully not having to go the full 40 weeks Jaki - Fingers crossed he makes an early arrival!

Our lil girl is measuring about the same, roughly a week and a half ahead and they said she's in the 81st percentile eeekkk But still can't wait for her to get here.
    My Uterus is measuring 5 weeks ahead though But at least she's not measuring that far ahead! lol

Jaki - Is this your first? I wish we were at the 36 week mark already! lol

Yeah this is our first so very exciting and scary! It just wont go fast enough, altho from 30 weeks onward its gone much faster than 20-30 weeks, that was a slow nightmare!
    We have to travel from Emerald to Brisbane to have him so that will take a few weeks off at the end, im guessing ill have to head down at 37 weeks, then prob have another scan to decide when to get him out
    What about you?

I completely agree there with the exciting and Scary! I've started referring to the pregnancy as an "adventure" lol there's certainly enough in it to be categorised that way! This is our first aswell, so there's been so much to learn!

Oh I hope your right and that being 30 weeks now is going to make it go much faster! I felt like everything else in life was going sssooo quickly apart from the pregnancy! lol That'll be good to give you some time off to relax aswell, is Brisbane the closest place with a hospital to you? I know roughly where Emerald is but not 100% sure...I know its out West? lol I'm from the South side of Brissy so very lucky that the closest hospital is about 5 minutes away.

I'm set to go for a scan at 36 weeks to see how big she is and then I think they will decide from there. I want to try and avoid a C-section (if I can) but if they tell me thats what I have to do, then thats what I have to do!

Emerald is in central QLD, we have a hospital but they only do low risk births. So no GD babies born there. The next closest is Rocky (3hrs) but i was very anxious about going there where i dont know anyone. So we decided to fly to Brissy

Well such alot of new faces in here. Well hope you are all coping well with the GD and not needing insulin. I had my little chloe in december and had her at 38wks via c/s. Due to me being insulin dependant my little bub had to go to newborn care when born to monitor her sugar levels. Unfortunately for me she ended up needing to be admitted to NICU due to her levels being too low, needing insulin and also she was unable to suck so was tube fed. My bub was also not on the large side for someone with GD, she was a tiny 2.375kgs born.

Anyway, atm I havent had my 6wk checkup yet, but will be soon so i am hoping that I no longer need to monitor sugar levels anymore. FX. GL to all of you, and those that are soon to welcome your little bubs to the world. Hugs

Hi all, I need to join you all in here. I had my test done last week and I am .1 over the cut off. I'm hoping that it can be controlled via diet so fingers crossed. I was also trying for a vbac this time so not sure what will happen there. I have a group session I have to go to on Thursday so will see what happens then. Will be chatting to you all over the next couple of months I'm sure lol.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast