Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #7

it's not always the case - especially if you're not insulin-dependent. as far as i know, it's mostly the insulin that gives them cause for concern. they do tend to talk about induction at 40 weeks (some even before). i held off till 40 weeks last time to give myself a fighting chance but i didn't beat it. because i laboured okay last time, they're happy to let me go to the 40 weeks again. but i'll be doing everything i can to try & get there first i think seeing it's your 3rd & things have gone well previously, they may be more inclined to let you wait. they may just ask you to have some extra monitoring towards the end.

I was initially told that induction was likely. ds was 12 days overdue and I was told that they rarely let you go more than a day or two over if you have gd.

Now though, my levels are great (in the 4's and 5's, 3's first thing in the morning), all diet controlled, and they aren't going to rush it. The midwife I saw last week said they will probably add some monitoring in, but because everything is so under control they are happy to see how things progress over the next week or so, and don't need to rush it. So, hopefully baby can choose their own birthday.

Bubs is also measuring smaller so they aren't worried about a big baby. I think if you need Insulin then it might be different.

I have been super strict with what I eat, because I wanted to avoid being induced too. Hopefully we can both avoid it!

So I have just had another check up and they are very happy with my sugar levels and don't want to see me for 2 weeks! Yaay!
    Levels havn't been over 5 after meals and only low 4's first thing in the morning!

Had an ultrasound today and am measuring spot on 31 weeks and 6 days..baby is 2.2kgs so looks like so far everything is on track and fingers crossed no induction!!!!

Well done Leesha, keep up the good work!

I thought I'd let you all know that our baby girl has arrived!!! Bianca was born on Friday night, March 9th, at 10.39pm.

She chose her own birthday, on her due date, so no induction

She was 7lb 10oz, and is absolutely perfect. It was the most incredible birth, very different from my first, couldn't have asked for anything better.

Her sugar levels were slightly low at first but picked up quickly, and she took a little bit to warm up but cuddles with Mummy worked wonders.

I'm still trying to be really healthy, but geez the celebratory chocolate cake was good!!!

congratulations on the safe arrival of bianca! that sounds like a wonderful birth experience and i'm so happy for you that it was a spontaneous labour

Congratulations on the arrival of Bianca! You sound very proud and happy...........enjoy that chocolate cake without any guilt!!
    xx

Hi,

I just had the first stage glucose test, which I apparently failed (maybe it was that chocolate donut I had for morning tea that day... ) So now I'm scheduled for the longer glucose tolerance test this coming Thursday.

I had given up tea and coffee because I have completely gone off all hot drinks - so have been drinking Ribena by the bucketload. I don't have it very strong and I guess I wanted to ask could this Ribena habit I've gotten myself into be influencing my high sugar levels?

Thanks
    BG

Default Gestational Diabetes Chatter #7

I doubt the Ribena habit is the reason behind your higher sugar level reading. I had an awesome diet and with all three pregnancies I have failed the first glucose test. Pregnancy one and two I then passed the second tolerance test but with this third pregnancy I failed both and have GD. Let me just say I have managed to keep it under control by just using my diet and am 3 days away from due date with no induction planned and just happily counting down the days. So if you do end up with GD it is very manageable for most people! This next test you need to fast before hand so you either have it or you don't! I have a friend who drank a frozen coke or two per day and never had the diabetes which we all thought was hilarious seeing as I was such a good eater :-)

I have been diagnosed with GD (i am 32+4wks pg, found out at 29wks)......this is bubba no 3 and i didnt have it with the others.....i am borderline but still....
    i was checking 4 times a day and last tue had a follow up and its now been decreased to 2 times a day, but this has been my down fall LOL
    Most of my levels never reached higher then 6.8.........then 2 days ago i tested (1st time for the day) and it was 7.8....next one was 5.6...
    I was just wandering, what meals you have for breakfast, lunch, tea ans snacks etc.....i think this is why some of my levels are over the place lol

hi naomi.
    it might ve what you're eating but the endo told me &(ive found this with both pg with gd) that you may get to a certain point in your pg where yout levels rise regardless of what you eat.

as for diet - it's tough because different people get diff readings from the same food. generally they suggest low gi foods & staying on top of portion control (for example 1 cup of pasta or 1/2 cup of basmati rice with a meal). if you check out the diabetes association for your state they often have meal suggestions. i would normally have multigrain toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch & then something like steak & vegies/salad for dinner. snacks were fruit, yoghurt (altho check the sugar content). exercise is good for bringing levels down. you should also eat regularly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think a lot of people don't realise that eating high GI foods is just another form of eating sugar - I've noticed when I cut down on the carbs (not just the obvious sugar) my glucose falls down to normal.

I'm just hoping I can keep my glucose levels down with diet alone.

Does anyone know if stress can contribute?

Hullo there,

I saw my obs this morning and his first words were, "Did you have a big chocolate muffin right before your GTT?" Erm, no... my level was 9.7. ARGH. So I've bought a blood glucose monitor and will start the finger *****ing thing this afternoon. I had no issues with my first pregnancy (but nor did I crave sugar at all), this time I haven't been able to stay away from the sweet poison, but I guess that will have to change now. I called DH all upset about it and he said we'd go through the cupboards tonight and get rid of all our sweet snacks - we both have a huge sweet tooth but he has said he'll help me out by staying off sugar as well. Whatta guy

Hope you're all well...

I just found out today that I have GD. My fasting level was high aswell. I see the endo tomorrow and am so nervous about insulin. Also do you get given some type of kit, or just a list of stuff to go out and buy?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213