Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #7

Yeah I'm sorry hun but it sounds like you defo need the insulin. And you really should have supper or milk. You will need it when you are on insulin too. Also you can't go hungry for the sake of trying to stay of meds. I was at first but it wasn't helping at all, and not great for bubs.

Morning Ladies - Havent been on here for awhile.

Kim - Awh Hunny big for you. Sorry to hear its not going as you planned, it will be better for you and bubs in the long run though. When is your next appt with the Dr's? I'll keep everything crossed for you in the meantime that they will have something else for you to try in the first instance.

Jaki - lol thats alright, I honestly forget what I've asked about 10 minutes after I had asked it! so I didnt even remember asking you that! lol But thanks! Oh wow...for some reason I had it in my head that you werent allowed to fly after a certain period of time and that airlines wouldnt take you? Have u had any problems like that booking flights or anything?
    How's all your levels been?

Okay I have a question for you all....I have to report my levels this morning and Im a lil worried.... :S They told me that if I had 3 high readings in a week then they would put me on insulin (But I'm not sure if its 3 high readings at the same time, like Kim's is in the fasting one).
    So anyway, my levels are still all really good, staying at the 4's and 5's - occassionally I'll get a 6 maybe? But there have been times this week that when I've had a particularly bad meal that my levels have been up over the 7 mark Like I had Calarami and Chips one night we were out for a friends bday dinner, Pizza and McDonalds (I dont normally get that bad, I swear!)...so there are reasons for the high levels (cos I didnt watch the portion sizes) but Im worried they will put me on insulin....reckon they will?

Hmmmmm i reakon they might...... it depends on wether you Dr is happy to dismiss the levels due to poor diet choices. That is if you tell them the truth about what you ate

I think its 38-39 weeks qantas will let you fly until.

Meanwhile...... IM STARVING!!!!!!!!! just thought id share, rofl

Hi All!

Well I was honest and told the Educator about my poor diet choices! it couldnt be helped, it was birthday's (well two of them were anyway). She was happy to accept the diet choices and said that if in future, I had higher readings without having bad food, then they would refer me to the dietican first to discuss my diet and any changes that I need to make, then if I got more higher readings the next week, she would refer me back to the Dr and the Dr would decide if I had to go on these tablets first.....if the tablets didnt help to get my levels down then they would put on the insulin needles.

Is that the same with everyone else? Or just my hossy?

Jaki - How'd your hunger go?? lol I know what you mean the 'no eating carbs' in the 2 hours after lunch is sssooo hard sometimes! I swear I count down the minutes on the clock until I can test and then eat! lol

Kim - How have u been? Been back to the Dr's yet?

Well I had a strange experience this morning, i tested my fasting level and it came up as 5.8 I was literally like WTF?? I hadnt eaten since 7pm and my fasting levels are always in the 4's. So I tested again straight away with a different finger and got 5.3....curioristy got the better of me so I tested again with another different finger and for 5.0.
    How strange! Like I know there would be variances in the machines etc but thats a big difference, especially when it could mean being put on tablets for the morning levels and not being put on them.

Anyone else had anything similar to this before? Does your sleep patterns or drinking water during the night have any impact on morning levels?

Hi guys, I haven't been back to the dr yet as they want me to chart for 2 weeks and then I have an appointment next Wednesday. I have to see the dietician first, then the midwife and then the endo. My levels in the morning are still not under 6 so I'm dreading what they will say. I have been eating healthily but not getting any exercise so that may be contributing to my levels. It is very hard to fit exercise in when I have 2 young kids at home, no gym near by and being nearly 30 weeks pregnant. How did you ladies manage to get some proper exercise??

Kim - If I'm being COMPLETELY Honest.....I'd tell you that I dont exercise .... bad I know! I do have to walk a fair way to get to and from my car (from the car to the bus stop (about 500m's) and then from the bus stop to my work ( about 400m's) and back home again)...its not much but its all hill so its something...

I am in my pool a fair bit swiming around, but I dont really go out and exercise at a gym or go walking....I go for an occassional walk but I hate walking!

Kim what is exercise???? LOL. I do enjoy water aerobics but its hard to go as its on at night and im so tired, plus it buggers up my eating times and bed time which in turn buggers up my levels.
    To be honest if your fasting levels are around and over 6 i really dont think exercise would help that much.

Oh and im now on 2 different types of insulin
    One with dinner and one at bed. JOY

Hey there, do u mind if i join? kristyG suggested i come join this thread, we are in the same belly group.

I found out yesterday i have GD, i failed the 1 hr test with my level being 10, so had to do the GTT, im not sure on exact figures yet but they said i have GD and im booked to go to the information session on monday morning. Its quite late for me to find out i know, my OB didnt realise i hadnt been tested till i was 29 wks.

At the moment im extremely clueless about it all and now stressing about what to eat, what effects it will have on the baby etc etc.

I look forward to chatting to u all soon.

Hey Kristi I just joined to and it is nerve wracking isn't it?? I haven't been told yet what I have to do either but will get it at my next appointment. I went to the info session last week. I had a lady in my group who was 34 weeks so you are ok. I found that the info session didn't really do me any good but then I have 2 kids with type 1 diabetes and already knew what they were telling me. Good luck with your session and I hope they can answer any questions you may have.

Welcome Kristi
    Try not to stress, it is very overwhelming at first.
    Just eat every 2-3 hrs and stick to your low GI carbs and you'll be right

Kim- It sure is nervewracking. When is ur next appt? I know nothing at all about diabetes, sounds like u are very educated already about diabetes.(although im sure u wish ur 2 didnt have diabetes at all).

Jaki- Thanks for the welcome, that sounds like good, simple advice. Going to be hard to train myself to eat more often, im not a big eater during the day, but will do what i have to, to get this GD under control.

Kristi - my next appointment is on Wednesday and I will be there all morning but I'm hoping they will give me some more ideas as the GD is different to type 1 and they want you to test the 2hrs after you have eaten and with the kids I have to test before they eat lol. I keep forgetting :blush: I also get to speak to a midwife and I will find out how likely I am to have a VBAC.

Let us know how you go with your appointments

KimB- Not long to go then before ur appt? Have u waited long for that appt? Sounds like u have to go the diabetic clinic? They said to me cos im so far along i will just get managed in my normal clinic, but im in the high risk clinic anyway so its all good. My next clinic appt in in 2 wks cos my OB is away at the moment.
    Sounds like it is different to what u do with ur childrens diabetes, what about the diet? Is that similar or different too?

Jaki - Well Im glad to hear that someone else doesnt exactly exercise either! lol Sorry to hear about the 2 types of insulin now, but its all for a good cause right? Not long to go now! How many weeks until you fly to Brissy?

Kim - Good lucky for your appt on Wednesday! What time are you having dinner at night? I wonder if that would help your fasting levels if u were to eat earlier?

Kristi - Hello my lovely!! Sorry to see you in here, but so nice to see you in here too! lol At least we wont clog up the BB thread anymore! How are you going this morning with your diet? Once you get all the info you'll know whats best for you, but its hard that you've gotta wait through the whole weekend. But you've got a few friends who've had it before too, so they should be able to offer you good advice for it
    I'm still really daunted by the whole thing and sometimes I just want to throw a tanty and say "I dont wanna test anymore!" and Im over already having to analyize what I can and can't eat, I miss just being able to pick something up and go "hhmm I feel like that" lol Its taking some restraint, but I figured its going to be benefical for me later on in life (especially if Im gonna lose this baby weight) to learn some restraint.

Kristi - Here's my reply to you chocolate, lollie and ice-cream comment in the BB thread. lol I'm still having all of those things...I'm not having buckets and buckets full of them, but I still have a little bit here and there.
    If your going to have a chocolate, try and pick something smallish like a milkyway - have a look at how many carbs are in it to work out our portion size and then just remember that when you have a main meal, have some more salad type foods rather than potato and bread etc.

Ice-Cream is just a small single scoop or Paddle Pops actually arent too bad in terms of carbs (the sugar content isnt great of course...its all sugar) but its the smallest one with carbs/sugar that I've been able to find!

If off to brissy on the 7th march

Well i have let a few things really upset me today and ive just had a chocolate binge And what makes it worse is tonigh is my baby shower and i was planning on saving my 'naughty' for then

Jaki. Hope you have a great night at your shower tonight. Don't worry to much about your chocolate binge in the scheme of things it shouldn't hurt to much especially if you have to take your insulin.

KristiG - I have dinner fairly early anyway as I have younger children. So anywhere from 5.30 to 6.30 usually. My morning levels are pretty stable at between 6 and 6.5 but they are just not low enough to keep me off medication. The rest of my levels have been under the required number except when I have eaten 'naughty' stuff lol. I haven't done that to much though

Now I'm testing and just hanging around until I have my appointment on Wednesday. Will have more info to share then about what is going to happen. I'm hoping they can tell me more about having my VBAC to.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast