Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gestational diabetes may be overdiagnosed

The thought of a scheduled c/s because my baby 'might' be bigger than normal makes me so angry. I will be declining that! To me, that is not a medical indication for intervention. It's a 'just in case' slice n dice. No thanks.

I'm still in two minds about having the test or not. I find a lot of that information quoted very confusing.

I thought macrosomic was over 4.5kg, so 10lb-ish.

Default Gestational diabetes may be overdiagnosed

Quote Originally Posted by blondedoctor View Post
    Hi y'all

I had GD with B1 so with this pregnancy the Ob (public system, different state to where B1 was bord) wanted to test me early so 'we can treat it early as you will definitely ahve it'. When it came back negative I was surprised as I am overweight and have had it before figured I was high risk. Needless to say I was thrilled. The doc howeve just frowned and said 'Oh, we'll test again in a few weeks because you'll definitely have it'. I'm frankly really pi**ed off as I know its not standard procedure to test women endlessly until a postive comes back. I don't want to test again, partly because its difficult to take such a huge chunk out of my work day, but I don't feel like I have a choice.

Anyone else had this experience?
    I had GD with DS... A lovely score of 9.5 made me the highest out of the 4 people in my "lets learn how to use insulin class" lol
    They did tell me that I would be tested with any future pregnancies at 16 weeks, 28 weeks and again at 30 something weeks (if previous are negative) AND I should test every 2 years for the rest of my life!
    I was very surprised I had GD as I did not come under any of the high risk factors.
    Funny enough I gained 18kg in the first 6 months and once I started insulin only gained another 2kg! DS was a healthy 3kg 2 weeks early.

I am refusing all GTT testing. I have sugar aversion as it is- there is no way in hell I'm drinking 75g of sugar! I doubt I consume that is 2days, let alone 30 minutes. I have offered my GP to take random blood sugar levels only. Both times I had a good breakfast and a piece of fruit before the test (which is as bad as my body ever really sees) and both results were 4.3. The agreance is that if I return a random result over 6.5, we will review GTT testing. I looked at this test as something inherently wrong- my body is never exposed to these conditions and how could I expect it to "perform" when it is not the normal, and when I'm pregnant to boot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12