Thread: GTT test at 12 weeks

Default GTT test at 12 weeks

I went to the womens clinic last week and was given slips for a variety of tests, two of these tests were GTT one to have now at 12 weeks and one at 25 weeks.

I booked in and went along to have the test yesterday only to be told by the pathology assistant that she thought it very unusual i was to have a GTT at this early stage, continued to ask me about history of diabetes etc which there is none. She left to took to her fellow colleagues and the Pathologist on duty came back with her to inform me that they had decided until they spoke to my OB they would not do the test as they think it was a mistake to have it so early in pg.

Has anyone else had the test in the first trimester or is it odd???

That's really early, I had gd with dd2 and my tests were at 18 and 30 weeks with ds.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We do them early depending when we see them could be 12-20 weeks on all woman who have a family history or diabetes, have had GDM before or have an increased BMI.

They then also get repeated at 26 - 28 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Feeb yes i do have increased BMI but no history - family or other pregnancy's. The pathologist made it sound like it is never done this early, especially refusing me the test.
    I think if it was a GCT it would have been different.

Default GTT test at 12 weeks

In my first diabetes education class there was a woman who was pregnant with her third and third time with gd. She was only 13 weeks and said they test early when you have a history of diabetes. So I'm not surprised they said they don't do it that early when you have no history!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Madham View Post
    Feeb yes i do have increased BMI but no history - family or other pregnancy's. The pathologist made it sound like it is never done this early, especially refusing me the test.
    I think if it was a GCT it would have been different.
    Where I work we only do GTT now no one gets a GCT. Don't need to have all above just 1 factor is enough to test. Weird the way pathology carried on!

i have had gtt's done at 18 weeks in both my children's pregnancies but that is because i have pcos, insulin resistance and various other endocrine problems, seems a bit excessive for you to have it done so early with no history

Spoke to OB today and he doesn't want me to have it until 20 weeks so id say his registrar will be in a bit of trouble, he also stuffed up my ultrasound dates.

Yeah, an Ob wanted me to do one at 13 weeks, due to family history of DM and previous "large" baby (4.07kg...pfffft!) and pathology were a bit weird about it, even though I stuffed about and didn't present until 18 weeks. That was a GTT, and I did a repeat at 29ish weeks.

Both were negative.