Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low blood sugar levels in GD?

Default Low blood sugar levels in GD?

I've been diagnosed with GD after a GTT and a 2-hour level of 8.1mmol/L.
    The diabetes educator yesterday gave us all the information and told us to call straight away if we had three high BSLs in a row: over 5.5mmol?l fasting, or over 6.7mmol/L 2hrs after meals.

I'm having the opposite problem, and I'm not sure if it's good or worrying?

Aside from yesterday when I had *cough* McDonalds *cough* for lunch and got a 7.4mmol/L (this was after a 3.8mmol/L reading at the appointment 2.5 hours after a breakfast a coffee with milk, and 3 weetbix with milk! so it was sort of an experiment to see what would happen after McDonalds... In all fairness, it was a large fries and a double cheeseburger, so the high reading was less than surprising!)

My readings have been: after dinner was 4.2mmol/L, my fasting this morning was 3.7mmol/L, and 3.9mmol/L after breakfast (again, 3 weetbix with milk, and a coffee with milk and 1 sugar).

I had a Milo at 8pm after I got the 4.2 last night as a treat, it didn't effect my fasting results though (not sure if it should have anyway), and I ate an apple at 9.30am after I got the 3.9, I was feeling a bit woozy, I'm still feeling a little icky and really hungry and I think I will probably eat a 'normal sized' lunch of chicken, cheese, mayo and salad on white bread to see what happens with my levels...

Of course, I'll call them if the reading is in the 3's or 4's again.

But just wondering, do these levels seem a bit low for GD? I'm not on any medication, I only got the diagnosis last Thursday and got the monitor yesterday morning. I haven't made huge changes, in fact that is my usual breakfast minus the sugar I usually have on it that I will probably add back into my breakfast (as sugar or fruit or yoghurt).

I was expecting quite high results, and was prepared to make quite drastic changes if necessary (my diet is quite healthy and well balanced, but certainly not what would be considered low carbs and I do usually have treats like ice cream or hot chips when I feel like them... I am pregnant after all LOL ), so this is a bit of a relief but now of course I'm worrying it seems 'too easy', and something else is wrong to cause such a high ! I've Googled (as you do) and Dr Google says women with GD rarely have blood sugar levels below 5mmol/L after eating, unless they are eating extremely low or no carb meals. Would you classify 3 weet bix and a serve of milk as low carbs...? Maybe my diet is better than I thought?

With the test was it the one that you had to fast overnight for? I had 8.1 on my first Glucose test and they retested me as it was considered borderline and could have been a result of what I had eaten. The retest showed that I had no GD at all so I'm wondering if you really do have GD. Can you get a retest?

What insulin are you on? If any?

Your levels are ok although yes their on the low side....maybe you need to introduce more carbs?

I would definatly contact your educator as they would gI've you the correct information....Im not really familiar with gd as much as type 1 &2 diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nai View Post
    With the test was it the one that you had to fast overnight for? I had 8.1 on my first Glucose test and they retested me as it was considered borderline and could have been a result of what I had eaten. The retest showed that I had no GD at all so I'm wondering if you really do have GD. Can you get a retest?
    And i agree with this...you don't really fit the gd profile.

8.1 is really just on the edge of being diagnosed. The massive sugar load for the test often tips woman over the edge for a positive, when in real life they would never eat that much sugar in a hit so it wouldn't be an issue itms.

Even the 7.4 you got after McD's isn't actually high. They make the limits for GD very tight but in reality anything under 8 or 9 is fine for after a meal. Even fasting results they don't really care until it is over 6.

Personally with those results I would consider it a false positive. Either ask for another test, or just monitor for a few weeks and then if you have no unaccountable highs ask for a reassessment of the diagnoses because it will affect your birthing options.

It was the 2hr test, I was sent straight for the 2hr fasting test (bypassed the short test) because of my history with PCOS and also because I was 'borderline' on both the short test and the fasting test last pregnancy. This pregnancy I've been so vigilent and healthy to avoid any issues like this, was BMI 23 when I got pregnant, and have only gained 8kg to date which seems fine - it follows the 'weight gain' graph they gave me perfectly, and have been quite healthy, active. Even the diabetes lady in the pharmacy was surprised after asking me lots of questions about history and diet. My partner is skeptical that I have GD as well. I test again in a little under 2 hours so we'll see how that goes.

delphmoon - no medication at all.

Had lunch and due to test in about 90 minutes time so we'll see how that goes.

Seems very odd to me. I had GD (diet controlled) first pg and most of my results were around 5-6. I ate most days: 2 weet bix with skim milk and an apple for breakfast, skim milk cappuccino and low fat yoghurt for morning tea, wholegrain sandwich with avocado, low fat cheese and tomato for lunch and a banana. Arvo tea was cheese and crackers with dinner consisting of meat or fish and veg/salad or small amount of pasta with bolognaise sauce.
    I'd think the GD test was a false positive.... Give the educator a call to discuss.

I reckon you dont have it babe...just doesnt sound like it. i'd be asking for a re-test as Nai and Arte mentioned as it can really affect birthing options and management at the hospital.

The readings you have provided are normal. For an adult the ideal bsl's are 3-6 fasting and 4-8 non fasting.

8.1 can hardly be classed as GD, that's borderline (and even 5 mins in timing of the test can provide inaccurate results)

Got 5.3 for my after lunch reading, and I had a white bread sandwich with chicken and other stuff that I don't think counts as carbs anyway. Might hang in until my follow up appointment on Tuesday with the dietician. Depending on the results I get in the next few days, I might ask them to review the diagnosis? I don't know if they will though, the doctor said I would probably just 'manage' it well, so they might just see this as me being able to 'manage' it. They really stressed that as the pregnancy continues insulin resistence can increase, so maybe I should expect my results to get worse over time? I don't know.

That said, my partner reminded me this afternoon that I did have a cold when I got the test done, and although the pathology nurse said it doesn't matter Dr Google (lol I know, I know...) says it could make a difference. I'd hate to redo the test, it's awful, although I will if it means they might take away the diagnosis.

I had no issues further along in my pregnancy. All controlled through diet and my DD was born 7ld 5oz. I went to a private hospital and was allowed a vaginal birth, no intervention etc....

Colds or any illness definitely push a persons bsl's up a bit, so it could have influenced the results.

And a reading of 5.3 after a sandwich is great! (2 slices of bread has around 30g of carbohydrates in it)

Good luck with the next few days of monitoring

absolutely your BGL can be affected by a cold, and your level wasn't high in the first place. I would be challenging that diagnosis tbh, it's a labelling you as high risk when honestly it doesn't sound like that is the case.

How long after breakfast are you doing your BSL? What was it when you woke up?

Hospital wants tests done 2 hours after meals for all of them, and my level was 3.7 when I woke up.

Had spaghetti bolognaise for dinner so we'll see how that goes.

I don't think you have GD. I'll be interested to see how the spaghetti affects your BSL.

One of the girls in one of my belly groups had a diagnoses that was undone after a few weeks of monitoring. I think from memory the insulin resistance peaks around 34 weeks, but if you aren't having any high results by 30ish then it would be unlikely that you have it.

It is worth fighting for the diagnosis to be reversed if you aren't having any further issues apart from the (slightly) high test. It is well known that test gives a lot of false positives. Not sure if you are wanting to VBAC, but it is going to be a lot harder if you have GD on your file.

Yes trying for a VBAC. Levels two hours after spaghetti bolognaise with 1 cup of cooked spaghetti was 4.8. Great levels I know, if only I wasn't now stuck with a GD diagnosis! I think I will definitely ask for a review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast