Thread: Tell Me About Your Experiences of Gestation Diabetes

Default Tell Me About Your Experiences of Gestation Diabetes

I think I might have GD.

For the last month or so I have had a siginifcant increase in thirst, urination and lethargy.

I am waiting on my Pathology form for the GTT in the mail from my MW.

Can you please tell me how you felt pre finding out that you had GD?

Any other relevent experiences or info would be greatly appreciated also
    xx

I was convinced I had it as well- similar symptoms and also felt "weird" (for want of a better description) after eating. My GTT came back ok....okay, it was 4.9, but still "ok" ;-)
    Good luck.

Crushing, crushing tiredness. I had a lot of stuff on at the time though and was pretty stressed. I had to get DP to take a day off work one day to look after DD1, I just felt like I couldn't get off the couch.

Other experiences - really, I know people complain about GD but I think in the whole scheme of things it's not that bad. I had SPD too and compared to looking after that, the GD was a walk in the park because there are things you can do to ease the symptoms. Yes, altering your diet is a bit of a pain but it's not that bad and injecting yourself with insulin ain't that scary.

The bonus for me - I only put on 1kg in the whole pregnancy and was 10kg lighter after I had DD2. So I like to look at the positives

GD was a blessing in disguise for me. I had a terrible diet before being diagnoised. I too have lost quite abit of weight and dont mind eating 6 small meals a day

I was on insulin for dinner too which was a pain.

Hopefully you dont have it if you do, its not too bad if your diet is controlled

GD was also a blessing for me - once I changed my diet to be spaced out rather than large carb heavy meals I felt GREAT! One thing I look back on and realise OH that might have been the GD, was the absolute exhaustion. Like, I could get out of bed, and still be exhausted. I thought it was pregnancy, but like I said, once I spaced my meals and snacks and took more notice about the carbs I was putting in my body, I ended up with more energy.

My GD was a bit bizarre. Was good, then went bad, I ended up on insluin at lunch (I would eat one serve of carbs and it'd push me over so I tried to control it with diet but then I ended up losing weight but I'm already quite small so they got very concerned about that) but now I am actually being trialled OFF the insulin because my after lunch readings have been in the low 4's, so i might not need it anymore. Now I am also having at least one, usually two and sometimes 3 hypos a day (<4mmol/l) usually 3 hours after a meal (usually right before a snack).

Thank you all for your replies

So can I ask, did you all notice a decrease in your fatigue if you ate regularly?

I think for me, GD would be a bit of a hindrance than a help. But I guess you do what you've gotta do.

The other thing I've noticed is my slow/small weight gain. My early pregnancy weight was 90kgs now at 27 weeks I'm only 91.

Could this be another factor?

I only noticed a decrease in fatigue if I spread my carbs out. I always ate regularly, and not unhealthily, but before the diagnosis it'd be really carb heavy at times. Once I started spreading the carbs out, I felt better. 2-3ish serves at meals (~40-50g carb) and 1-2ish serves (~20-30g) at snacks, and I felt a million times better.

Not sure about the slow weight gain, I guess it depends on your pre-pregnancy BMI and healthy weight gain target? My pre-pregnancy weight was 57kg, and they wanted me at around 70kg, but at 28 weeks I was 65.5, and then I ended up losing it, and I'm only just now, 8 weeks later, almost hitting 67kg. They were concerned only because at this stage of the pregnancy is when the baby should be packing on the weight and I didn't have the weight to lose to sustain my energy levels and the baby's needs as well. But I do know if you have a bit more wiggle room (i.e. if you had a BMI >25 pre-pregnancy) they don't tend to stress about weight loss or slow gains in GD if you are eating right and your BSLs are controlled.