Thread: Gift ideas for child with intellectual disability

Default Gift ideas for child with intellectual disability

Looking for some help.

I've tried searching online, but I'm not having any luck finding something I think my Mum's 11-yr-old foster daughter would like for Xmas. Wondered if anyone had any ideas. She has a profound intellectual disability and isn't really interested in any toys beyond the capability of an 18 mth old. Dolls, etc, are not her thing, she doesn't 'do' imaginative play and her fine motor skills aren't great. Her favourite activities are outdoors, but this is something I'll need to post, so I'm a bit limited. Her gross motor skills are pretty good, although she's physically a bit clumsy, so things that limit her space are not good.

Anyone know of anything either play-based or practical that might work for her? I got her clothes for her birthday, since I've exhausted a lot of other options over the years. A voucher for an activity might work (she does bowling, swimming, and similar through her school already), anything in the Brisbane area you'd recommend?

(PS Nothing screen-based please, she already has plenty of DVDs and loves her iPad!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    Looking for some help.

I've tried searching online, but I'm not having any luck finding something I think my Mum's 11-yr-old foster daughter would like for Xmas. Wondered if anyone had any ideas. She has a profound intellectual disability and isn't really interested in any toys beyond the capability of an 18 mth old. Dolls, etc, are not her thing, she doesn't 'do' imaginative play and her fine motor skills aren't great. Her favourite activities are outdoors, but this is something I'll need to post, so I'm a bit limited. Her gross motor skills are pretty good, although she's physically a bit clumsy, so things that limit her space are not good.

Anyone know of anything either play-based or practical that might work for her? I got her clothes for her birthday, since I've exhausted a lot of other options over the years. A voucher for an activity might work (she does bowling, swimming, and similar through her school already), anything in the Brisbane area you'd recommend?

(PS Nothing screen-based please, she already has plenty of DVDs and loves her iPad!)
    Treat her to a bowling even though shes a bit clumsy.. it would help her develop more. If you can't go with her, buy her a voucher or ticket I think you ca buy online...

I work with kids the same age with intellectual disabilities. I'll try to think of some things my class like:

Sand pit toys? (If she has access to a sandpit)
    Books
    Duplo (could help develop her fine motor skills) - or other blocks
    Stickers (my DD loves the foam stickers you can get where you just peal the paper off).
    Paints
    'Marble run' toy (I rekon you could look it up, I think that's its name - you make a track and marbles run down it)

I'll come back if/when I think of more

One of those bubble blower guns?
    Craft stuff? Paints?
    Play dough. With cutters and rolling pins.
    I saw a finger paint type toys that was no mess. It had gel between plastic and was easy to squish. iykwim
    Musical instruments (your mum might hate you for that. Lol) bell rings, whistles, drums.
    Blow up wading pool

A ball.
    Pool noodle/toys
    A bilibo
    Shoes
    I know you have already bought cloths but they are always useful.

does she like handbags or purses/wallets?

balloon cover - great for ball games inside or outside

Cloth for Comfort / Sensory matters on facebook have some cool exploratory bags (maybe too advanced) and ribbon toys and fishing toys that might be of interest.
    Last edited by HotI; November 8th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Simple puzzles will help improve fine motor skills
    What about some sensory toys ( good ones online if you google)
    New swimmers and towel
    Water toys for In the pool
    CDs or music
    Dress up clothes

Hot1 - the exploratory bag might be a good idea. The bilibo is a cool idea too. Sand and water play would be a lot easier if it weren't for Mum's small backyard dog who would definitely get more use out of those!

Thanks for all of the suggestions - this gives me something to work on.

my dd loves her exploratory bag, at first she was just excited when she found stuff, now she looks for specific things from the card.

If you find something online, have it posted to your mums house

A nice pair of bathers and a cute towel with her name on would be nice. Have you heard of kinetic sand? Google it it looks amazing.

I'm getting kinetic sand...I have a code for free shipping if you want it

Why not a handbag with all goodies in it.

DD got this from her grandmother for her 4 year old birthday and it was a huge hit and is good because it is play based.

In the bag my MIL put:
    -old leys on a keyring
    -a little purse with some coins in it and some monopoly money
    -a Vaseline lip gloss
    -a little mirror
    -a packet of tissues
    -a pen with an address book
    -an old mobile phone.

You don't have to put all of those things in, just things that you think she would be able to play with.

I second a ball, especially if she like gross motor play.
    Or bubble bath. I've heard the moo goo one is amazing.

Our Nephew is intellectually disabled, he is 12 and has the mental capacity of a 2-3 yo. It is hard to buy for him as he has so many toys at his current level. We tend to alternate between clothes and toys. Even his parents (DHs Brother and SIL) struggle to find new things for presents

How about a bubble machine?
    Push Along Cars?
    Wooden Train Set (IKEA have a good one)
    Blackboard?
    Tickets for the Zoo/Family Day out etc

The tickets suggestion was a good one - so I had a look around and decided to get a child's membership to the Museum. It includes the Sciencecentre. There are lots of hands-on activities and she can go along with both Mum and anyone else (she has a regular respite carer for a morning each weekend). I'm pretty sure they get to go in for nothing as carers, so it'll work out to be a cost effective day-out as well.

I'm going to keep some of the other ideas for next year's birthday, Christmas and so on.