Thread: Handmade Xmas Gifts?

Question Handmade Xmas Gifts?

Ok, so this year I am making my own xmas gifts. The thing is that I am NOT, I repeat NOT, at all a crafty or handy type of person. So I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have hundreds of babyfood jars (small, med and large) and I was thinking of making candles in them and decorating with wire and beads. Could someone direct me to a great web-page for instructions on HOW to make candles and if it's cheaper to make was candles or those lovely see through jelly candles? And would you consider a home-made (made in the reciever's fav colour and style) candle a good gift? I am sick of spending thousands on xmas gifts.

OR

If you have any ideas for other uses of babyfood jars.

TIA

Here's a great gag gift for the not, repeat NOT crafty or handy type person that uses jars.

Glue down the lid, cut a circle of fabric bigger than the lid (about 1cm all round) with a pair of zig zag scissors, put it over the lid and tie a ribbon around it. Or you could even paint the lid a pretty colour, just to make it look really nice.

Then make tags with this saying on it, how you make the tags is entirely up to you.

Jar of Nothing

Did you say nothing?
    When you were asked what you wanted for
    Birthday, Anniversary, Graduation or Christmas.
    Don't you remember saying NOTHING?
    Well this time someone heard you, searched
    high and low and found this perfect gift for you.

There you go! A cute little gag gift that always gets a smile, and no craftiness or handiness required ...

Hope that helps

Thanks Diva!!! That is a wonderfull idea. I am sooooo glad I am the only person in my family on this site, because there would be hell to pay if I get a jar of nothing. :P
    But this is going into my idea-box.
    THANK YOU!!!

What do you think about putting a receipt into the jar for a donation to a local fosterhome/charity along with a ferro rouche chocolate? The gift of giving? Don't think DH would like that one. Hmmm *thinking*

Hi there....
    I'm giving my work friends & some family members personalised christmas balls. I just brought a pack of really pretty, plain christmas balls , a white texta & I neatly write their names & maybe the year with the texta (i'm also putting stars on them ) then if you want get a glitter glue pen & go over the white texta to make it sparkly & pretty ! Not costing me alot , I'm putting them in little boxes I found at a discount shop along with some little chocolates !!!! Have you tried to "google" handmade christmas gifts ? You might get something good out of there too ! Oh & too , my nieces absolutely love baking cookies for friends & neighbours , my SIL buy's little sandwich trays or something little & nice to put them on & wrap them in cellophane & curling ribbon . And oh , heeheehee, I'm on a roll , you can make rum balls by buying a homebrand fruit cake & crumbling up & adding a small amount of rum ( I use bourbon) roll into little balls & roll them in coconut or shaved chocolate , maybe put in a coffee mug or wine glass , wrap in cellophane & add christmas ribbon. Ok better stop now ! Good luck & have fun , and bask in all the positive praise you will get when people open your gifts & say how clever you are only 54 more sleeps till christmas YAY !!!!
    Cheer's
    M'Bear

I have the jars too, so thanks for the candle idea Nadine!

Dh and I are planning on making earring frames (to hang your earrings on and display if you like) using some (old and or cheap) timber photo frames and a staple gun to replace the glass with aluminium (not fibreglass) flyscreen. We are going to paint the frames silver first and the flyscreen is black, so should look effective.

Wow, the earring frames sound interesting!
    How about making some lemon butter or jam for those jars, Nadine?

I have decided on making cookies (fun and festive) for EVERYONE this christmas. I got some great recipies in a mag for making sugarrolls and peanutbutter/krisp squares and some coconut bites. Sounds great, so I am going to try them out over the weekend and have DH "test" them before making lots of them. Pack them in a plastic container and wrap them.
    Also tomorrow dd and I are making our own wrapping paper. Yes, I am going to let my 10 month old paint the paper and we are going to have LOADS of fun. I'll help too, just to make sure that not all the paint ends up on her and nothing on the paper. I was thinking about painting her feet and having her walk accross the paper. Should be interesting.
    The jars I am going to fill with sweets and paint the lids, put a string around and hand them out to my kitchen staff at the shop and to my workshop staff at the office. I'll also keep some handy just for in case.
    Was looking into making jam, but (ROFL) not really my kind of thing Was reading up on making some apricot jam, but sounds like way to much work - hahaha. Had thought about making vanillia sugar or crystalised citrus peel - hmmmmm *ponder-ponder*
    The earing frames sounds very cool, you must post a picture on the gallary so we can see your handywork. Also next christmas is only a year away

Nadine -

Try "recipe in a jar". Get a cookie recipe you like (or cake, brownie, muffin ... ) and layer the dry ingredients in the jar. Make a label with the wet ingredients and cooking time required. Make a second label with the whole recipe for when they make it next ...

Also Mint Jelly is darn easy to make - its mostly stewed apples then some mint thrown in at the end.

That is a great idea too, Kazbah!
    Thanks!!

Mmm...some good ideas!

I'm thinking of making vegetable bruschetta...I did a thread in the recipes section though, since I made the recipe up and it needs a bit of a 'tweak'.

I might give it with a loaf of some crusty bread I guess...

Looking forward to seeing what others are planning on making to give...just in case the bruschetta doesn't work out.

I just found a recipe/idea for Chocolate Spoons...

You melt the chocolate of your choice (milk, white or dark) and pour a little to fill the bowl of the spoon, then once that is cool, you dip the spoon in again to about 2cm up the handle. Once they are cool, freeze them to make them easier to handle, and decorate with sprinkles, or drizzle with another colour choc... then you can place cellophane square over the choc, tie with ribbon, and wella... YUMMO.... great to make hot choc/mocha with or for the kids to eat!

The current Better Homes & Garden Magazine & Home Magazine have some great ideas too & some fantastic wrapping ideas.

Cool, Mel! I love the choc spoon idea

Loving the chocolate spoon idea Mel, that's going into my baskets this year