Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!!! Not coping Gluten Free!

Thanks for the quiche recipe S, I'll def have to try it!

OG! I'll look up those sites/people! Now I'm learning to cook I'm sure I'll find some great ideas.

OG - I just google Lola Workman and OMG! chocolate eclairs!! Apparently all without the use of guar/xanthum gum.

I've just bought a heap of TMX cookbooks. I can't keep buying cookbooks. Aaargh!

Oooh and she has crumpet rings - I've been looking for some of those. Oh well, there goes the bank balance again.

That's good news Amaunet. I agree, the Schar's bread is yummy. I love the little rolls, though they do need to be heated. They are expensive.

Glad you're feeling better. It's an adjustment, but it makes a big difference.

How did you go finding the gluten free mountain bread?

I have been trying to reduce wheat and assumed mountain bread was gluten free

Have you seen the mountain bread cookbook?? It's got a variety of things in it from meal options to sweet options.

I've made a few, for example the lasagne and the difference you feel after eating that compared to eating lasagne with pasta sheets is amazing. That heavy bloated feeling just isn't there. Coming from me who is doing this by choice not because i have to

My mum has told me that they have brought out a second one also. I got my first one from Coles so i might ask her where she's seen the second edition.

EJ - Mountain Bread isn't gluten free. All of the products have wheat. Wheat, barley, oats, spelt, rye, malt all contain gluten.

Gluten is also found in many processed foods, cosmetics and medicines, as thickeners or stabilizing agents. Many flavourings and additives contain gluten

It's def an investment that book... She uses agar powder in her recipes which is good, I get mine from Asian grocers for cheap as it's too expensive at healthfood shops.

She has 3 diff type of flour blends 1 potato free 1 super fine GF and 1 grain free. My friend has my book otherwise I'd post those recipes for you.

On the adventures of a GF mom site search 'churro' it's a yummy and extremely easy churro or donut recipe, I've also done it in my thermie and couldn't believe how much easier it was.

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Oh and we love the organic woolies corn chips, you can still have nachos!!!! Yuum

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Do you have a bakers delight where you are? They make gf bread, tastes like real bread. Where I am they make it fresh a couple of days a week. I think wednesdays and saturdays... They're $5 a loaf, but they are small (half the size of a normal loaf)

Thanks Helle, my Bakers Delight don't make it? I spoke to them about it and they said because they can't guarantee a gluten free environment (so much regular flour and bread) they aren't planning to add it to their "menu"

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    Thanks Helle, my Bakers Delight don't make it? I spoke to them about it and they said because they can't guarantee a gluten free environment (so much regular flour and bread) they aren't planning to add it to their "menu"
    Which is fair enough. I'd be reluctant to buy GF bread from a normal baker for this reason. It's difficult enough trying to avoid cross-contamination at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    Thanks for the quiche recipe S, I'll def have to try it!
    I've made them without the meat. I've also mixed in things like spinach, or ham, left-over roast lamb. I just try to keep the base veges the same.

They're so easy to make, I have them most days for lunch, just make a batch and take one every day.

Oh that's a bugger. A friend of my parents gets it, he has what i would consider a pretty bad gluten intolerance and has never had an issue (hope he never does either now you point that out!)

Schar used to be my favourite bread too. I recently found one that I think is even better! It's from Choices bakery which I believe have a few stores in NSW, I'm in Vic so have it delivered and stock up the freezer. The white bread is awesome, I still toast it, and they have such a huge range. The bagels taste like real bagels, and the english muffins are great too, it has made breakfast and lunch so much better.

There is a muesli that I get from a gluten free shop that is the first one I have liked. I have it with yoghurt so not sure what it'd taste like with milk though. It's made by Brookfarm.

The other thing is freedom wraps from the supermarket aren't great as wraps but they are good as a pizza base. They make a nice easy and quick lunch.

Glad you're doing well!

I'm not a fan on Freedom products at all. I've tried their bread & breakfast cereals and they're really bland. I've had some disasters with various GF pastas as well. I stick to the Organ stuff now.

There's a GF expo on in Melbourne this weekend. I've scored 2 free tickets whuch is a bonus.

Tashy I went to that one year with my mum - it was great. Lots of information as well as products. Sue Shepard did a demo too which mum loved!

I scored a ticket to the show too Tashybabe! I'm going on Saturday

I think the brownie cookies are freedom? They are great if you put them in the freezer.

My favourite pasta is the rice pasta from coles. It's in the gluten free section, the packet is green. It's quite cheap and when I gave it to dh and he didn't notice, I figured I was on to a good thing. Now I only have to cook one pasta instead of three, bliss.

Deeks health bakery have some great products, breads, rolls cakes etc that taste really good, they are based in ACT but you can order from the website and get it delivered, I have myself my MIL and sister who are GF so we place orders together.

We use to get deeks as I lived in the ACT but I ended up needing to go yeast and soy free too. The bread I make is the same texture as deeks bread but without the cost! Oh it is expensive tht bread but it was a true life saver changing over, there pancakes and caramel slice rock!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12