Thread: Any amateur astronomers in BB-land?

Default Any amateur astronomers in BB-land?

Hi all,
    Our third wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I was thinking about getting DH a book or something inexpensive like that. Recently he's been heaps into getting out bush with a mate of his, going canoeing/camping and they seem to have all the necessary bits and bobs, so I was happy when he recently expressed an interest in learning more about the stars and constellations he'd been able to view properly while out in the wilderness
    I'm just wondering if anybody here in BB-land is similarly interested in the beautiful heavens and can recommend a sort of beginner's book about the stars and constellations, maybe even with camping sort of stuff like how to use them to navigate etc? I'd be really grateful for any help, I'll have to order it online because we don't have any bookstores locally so I can't pop into one and have a browse myself
    TIA!

Hi, that sounds like such a thoughtful gift! dh and I love the space in general and often download documentaries from the net, so depending on what your net details are and your download quota etc that could be an option... You could down load a doco or even an ebook, then he can print off the bits that are relevant to his next camping trip.... Having said that it's nice to have a glossy book to give isn't it. I can't recommend any books in particular, sorry I guess I haven't actually been that much help!

My friend is totally into it, he has a few telescopes I can ask him if he has any recommendations.

There is an actual "Astronomy for Dummies" book that you can order online.

You have to be careful though as some books you order might be specific to the Northern Hemisphere.

Andrew is an amateur Astronomer and he has Atlas of the Southern Night Sky, as well as many others. He said to google myastroshop which is an australian site.

Can you cruise Ebay for a telescope?

I'm not sure how exxy they are but my dad had a great one and it started a lifelong love of the sky for me.

Check out the queensland astronomical society.
    i used to be a member of the vic one, wasn't to expensive and they had plenty nights on to go view thru big and small scopes, lots people on hand who loved answering questions, great way to get into it and learn.