Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching

Default Geocaching

Does anyone do it? If so would you like to help me out with a favour for a friend from England?

I do =)

Only been doing it for a year...and havent for a few months due to morning sickness and then the heat... but I'm real into it =)

what do you need?

well she is sending me a troll that she wants to get as far as possible from where it was found and then hidden. I was going to do it for her (and said troll is on it's way) but I have been reading up about how to do it and am completely lost. Not to mention I have no access to GPS . So I was wondering if I could post the troll when it arrives and you could do with it whatever you do with these objects?

I could, I have a gps, I haven't hidden one before though, wanted some more finds under my belt, but I know how and am capable of doing it =) did she say if it needs to be put in a current cache, or in a brand new one?

she didn't specify but I guessed an existing location would be easier?

will depend. If it is part of a special event I can do it, or if its a travel bug I can do it and put it in someone elses cache. If not, I would have to make a new one.

I'll do it, just find out for me, because I don't want to intrude on someone elses cache, but if it is just a travel bug there is no point making a whole new one just for it.

ok will ask, thanks so much

=) no worries, Ive been trying to get out there and get into it again now its not melt your skin hot and I have a little bit of energy (before Spock takes up all my time =P ) so this will give me that real push and give me a real reason to get out there again

We do it Trav. Andrew has his own geo caches that he has hidden. He could put it in the middle of nowhere in one of his caches.

ETA - sorry should read the rest of the posts first. Looks like you've got it sorted

I do it too. I think I've found 300 and hidden about 5 or 6. I hide puzzle caches and they are devilishly hard .

guess she has a good variety of where it can go, I don't mind one of the other girls doing it, like I said I havent hidden any yet, cause I've been wanting to get more finds under my belt first. so I guess it depends how middle of no where she wants it

Marushcke - whats your username on GCA? (are you on GCA?) I could add to my contacts (so far I only have Astrolady (well her hubby =P) hehe

Ok so it's a travelbug, and this is the facebook page that goes with it https://www.facebook.com/pages/UMOs-...21274451227790. It can go in any cache anywhere, she is just trying to get it as far away from the UK as possible. Who would like to help me out?

I am intriugued (sp) WTF are you talking about?

That's easy Ill still do it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Livinthedream View Post
    I am intriugued (sp) WTF are you talking about?
    Geocaching is like treasure hunting with a GPS. There are billions of containers hidden around the world, but various people and they then give you the GPS coords for where it is, and you have to find them =)

my fave description is "we use billion dollar satelites to find tuperware in the scrub" =)

DF and I have done it a few times - we've only found a a few local ones but it's something that we could really get into. I don't really know too much about the whole thing - the guys that DF works with are right into it too.

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

As Teirae said each of the containers are hidden. You could walk past a heap in the city every day and not know. We found a geo cache once that was a 44 gallon drum. That was a country one though LOL. Most of them have little prizes in them such as a match box car, key ring, whatever really. If you take something from the box though, you have to leave something behind for the next person.

There is also a log in each the caches that you have to sign to say you've been and then you come home and record it online on the Geocache website. Andrew's found 496 of them so far. It is a good thing to do when you're home bored with the kids on a weekend. If we do country ones we will find 6 or 8 in a day, but that will involve a lot of driving too.

To find them you do need a GPS and be a part of the Geocaching website. That way you can download co-ordinates.

Default Geocaching

That sounds so cool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast