Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego / Mega Bloks Lovers

If DD1 doesn't get it for her birthday I will get the girls the barbie pool party set for x-mas & possibly the dolphin cruiser & I've found a barbie dolphin set but I haven't seen it in Aus... Might look into that.

DD1 also wants a helicopter & the fire house

MIL bought DS his first Lego set about 5 weeks ago and he loves it! Me too I can't believe how creative he is, and how he can look at the pictures and do a reasonable job of recreating it He's getting more for Christmas, so we'll have quite a collection. He's still into his Duplo too.

Lots of you have mentioned Lego Friends - would that be better than the Creator stuff and other series' that seem way too fiddly/old for a 3yo? Not to mention that he doesn't want to build robots or massively intricate aeroplanes etc, just simple cars, buildings and 'three year old stuff'. I've looked in KMart but haven't seen much suitable, and I def don't remember seeing any Friends stuff.

The friends stuff is still the small pieces, DD1 tries to follow the instructions with my help but I don't think it's any easier than the basic lego starter sets. IMO.

DD1 has only had small friends sets, she loves that they are girly but really wants a helicopter or truck

The "bricks and more" stuff (the category on the Lego website) is aimed more at littler people. Simpler instructions. Not as many small pieces (but they still have small pieces in them). They are generally labelled "build and rebuild" and are tagged 4+. There is a new range rumored to be due out next year that addresses the slightly younger people with actual Lego instead of duplo (shop man posted on his fb page yesterday lol).

I'd probably suggest one of the generic packs with hundreds if Lego. Take out the small bits, jump on the website and download the inspiration designs. They go step by step through making lots of things using just basic bricks. You can print them or save files to access on an iPad through kindle or similar (don't like dd associating Lego with needing ipad. If she wants the directions they are printed for her to use)

Quote Originally Posted by JLeigh29 View Post

I've looked in KMart but haven't seen much suitable, and I def don't remember seeing any Friends stuff.
    In our local Kmarts and Targets, the Lego friends range is kept separate to the normal lego kits. I think Target keep it in a separate aisle. It's marketed for girls and I think they've taken the assumption that girls don't go down the Lego aisle so they usually have it in a "pink" aisle. Foolish really.

I agree PacRakMG. I read an article recently about a toystore removing all gender based marketing as a result of parents complaining but I can't remember where it was. It seems silly to me that we would need a shop to tell us what our kids should be playing with.

BG, what is the name of the online lego store you use? I would love to check it out. PM me if you prefer not to put it on here please

Quote Originally Posted by PacRakMG View Post
    In our local Kmarts and Targets, the Lego friends range is kept separate to the normal lego kits. I think Target keep it in a separate aisle. It's marketed for girls and I think they've taken the assumption that girls don't go down the Lego aisle so they usually have it in a "pink" aisle. Foolish really.
    I think is good is in the 'girls' aisle - not that I agree with the concept of 'boys and girls' toys - but it being in with the other 'girls' stuff it may attract some girls who have never shown any interest in Lego, or parents have never bought because they think is for boys and then they get to like the Friends stuff and move on from that to the other Lego. Also alot of people who buy toys are not parents - they are friends, relatives etc. and many will go to a 'girls' aisle to see what is available and many not think of Lego at all - I would prefer Friends stuff to alot of the other stuff in those aisles.

I have heard people be critical of Lego Friends (not on here) but if you ask me is a good strategy by Lego to react to the market that is out there, and draw more people into the Lego world - I don't think they created the gender based toy world we live in now - in fact if you look back at their advertising of many years ago they had boys and girls and all very gender neutral. Of course best strategy would be to have Friends in both the 'girls' aisle and with the other Lego.

We mainly have Duplo - oodles of it, is either from when we were kids (mum and dad bring suitcases of it over from UK) or that pick up from Gumtree etc (I love getting the big shopping bags full because you never know what you will get and often get some interesting bits and pieces) - next visit mum and dad will start bringing our old real Lego from the UK - as am confident that DS won't eat it now. We had the electric train set and it still works (my sister sets it up to go round the Christmas tree sometimes) plus lots of bricks not many sets as they were not so popular back then.

Now DD is four there are a couple of Lego clubs in Melbourne we are going to check out. Personally I can't wait till they are old enough for Technic lego and the computer controlled stuff (I had just moved out of home when that came out and was too much of an indulgence to buy myself).

I think it should be a crime to throw Lego in the bin (even if it is via the vacuum cleaner), it never decomposes and there are so many Lego lovers out there who would love it.

Online one is bricks to the world (should come up easily through google)

Oh dear. Shouldn't have looked. How easy would it be to max out a credit card or two in that shop! Thanks BG, my DS will love you forever lol.

Thanks - I've seen the 'pink' Lego kits, but haven't looked closely (I tend to spend most time in the 'boy' aisles - see what gender specific marketing has done to me?!).

Thanks BG...I think DS is getting some generic Lego from MIL and SIL - it's sitting here all wrapped up but MIL 'can't remember' what it is she bought I might have to unwrap it and have a look so I don't double up. Having some instructions printed is a great idea too - might laminate some cards for DS..... And I'll have to get a big base board too. I also saw a block table for $29 at KMart the other day. It says its compatible with Duplo, Lego and Mega Blocks and the base is removable, so might need to have a closer look at that too.

Oh dear, I can see why this stuff is addictive

Thanks ladies! Now i really want to get some duplos for my dd (they are safe for 1 yr olds?)

Soo exxy even the second hand ones (looked on gumtree and ebay)

Are they cheaper at kmart?

Just went to Big W and dd2 picked the lego friends horse float set for DD1 along with all 3 of the series 2 animals.
    So that's 7 'sets' coming for her birthday just from us / FIL.

Anyone interested big w had the dolphin cruiser for $79 (I think).

If she doesn't get a helicopter or plane for her birthday I think we will make them x-mas presents... Weird kid also wants a bike though so not sure DP will be big on me spending up on lego too

I see your point wysiwyg, and I agree the range has gotten girls interested (mine included). The problem we've had until now is that DD1 just isn't interested in the normal Lego. We bought her a seaside house one to go in for Christmas so hopefully she will branch out lol.

The first one we got her was the car and caravan which she loved until she got a friends one.

I remember we had the pirate ship growing up. It was awesome.

The girls first one was generic and they loved building the car and the motorbike, both girls love anything with wheels or a motor so I guess i'm lucky that they (and I) will get to play with both sets, I think it's stupid that they are in separate aisles, took me ages to find the lego friends stuff today...

I have to wait another 10 days for her to get stuff form IL's and friends then 12 days til she gets the stuff from us.. but she has kinder that day so have to wait til she's finished... probably a good thing or we could be building 10+ sets all at once

Ahhhhh wonder if I can ask for Lego for x-mas

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Zarava Flutterby ~ View Post
    Ahhhhh wonder if I can ask for Lego for x-mas
    Why not?! If you want it lol

My DP would think I have gone nuts.. I think he secretly realises I am loving the girls liking it just so I can play with it anyway

I've bought a set for DH before, was R2D2.

I've seen a combi that I'd like but it's veeerrrryy expensive!

There's lots out there for 16+. Go for it ZF!

who cares what he thinks lol.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast