Thread: Making hair clips

Default Making hair clips

I need to get some hair clips for DD, her hair is all over the place and in her eyes all the time (she probably just needs a haircut...but hair clips are cuter ). I did order some from a WAHM but she has been stuffing around and it's been at least 20 days since I've heard from her (thankfully I hadn't paid for anything yet!).

So..last night I was thinking I might make some for her instead. I found a tutorial on how to do it, but it isn't too specific. does anyone on here make them/can help me out? Will I need a glue gun to stick the ribbon on? Does the ribbon need to be the same width as the clip or does it get folded over?
    It's like I know how to go about it but don't know what to do...maybe I should just get the stuff and have a crack at it

u do need a glue gun, it depends on what kind of clips ur using, i can send u some alligator clips if u want, the size ribbon u need 3/5 theres heaps available on ebay, theyre easy as to make.
    if u need help let me know

Hey hun i am thinking of making some myself and have actually asked a couple of the WAHM's on FB and they have been more than happy to help out, they have told me that 3/8 GROSGRAIN ribbon (or maybe it was 3/5) is the best to use, most of them use a hot glue gun.
    I have bought some off FB and looking at them i have figured out how i will do it myself, i think it will take a bit of practice to get them perfect though.
    If you like i can PM you the details of some of the people i have bought off and maybe buy 1-2 of the kind your looking at making and then just see if you can copy it?
    E-Bay seems to have some GROSGRAIN for cheapish (and the FB gals said they get a lot from there) but they said look out for Australian Ribbon as it's better quality than some from o/seas.. but it's all trial and error i guess... let me know how you go, i should get off my butt and try some for my girls too.
    I'm addicted to clips and am going to make a clip holder, they can look awesome and be a feature in the girls rooms.... a few FB pages have them for like $20 etc but i think i might design my own.

***will check ribbon and let you know***

sorry it is 3/8....way too early in the morning! pmsl

try get urself a thin nozzled glue gun too, will make life easier!
    if ur after plain ones i can do them for u, just pay post $2

thanks girls might go shopping for a glue gun today then, how exciting..lol.

I'd probably use the alligator clips Skybie, I don't know how DD would feel about me snapping clips onto her head! Thanks for the ribbon sizing, that's probably what I was struggling with the most, the ebay store I was looking at have about 5 different sizes and it was all just a bit confusing!

ZB- the clip holder sounds cool!
    Will post my attempts on FB once I get sorted!

no worries hun, if u cant find the clips in small amounts let me know and i'll send u some

I've just started lining my own alligator clips, and i have a feeling it's going to be addictive!
    I bought my grosgrain ribbon from ebay.
    Does anyone know where i can buy some cute resin flat back embellishments? I found some on ebay, but would like to find some other sites as well.

I've just started making clips and headbands.

I've been making fabric flowers and yoyo's with alligator clips on the back that can either be used as clips or clipped onto a headband. Thinking of selling them at the local market and if they sell, opening a FB page for them.

How is everyone else going with making them?

Still haven't done any, would love to though, need to get a glue gun

I stopped making them a little while ago but I used the double pronged alligator clips and a hot glue gun. I also used the kitchen liner grippy stuff and glues that in between the top and bottom to add extra grip and I used the Aleena's tacky glue as I founf it the best.

I still have heaps of stock thart I should list and sell

Nae x

I am using E6000 glue and it's great!!! Get it from eBay and it's cheapest.

I am not using the grippy things, and need to get some grossgrain ribbon to cover my clips to make them prettier...
    What stuff do you have to sell?

Yeah I gave up on mine a while ago..made a few sets for DD and that was about it! just too hard getting it all out then packing it away again. Lol. Going to keep the ribbon I bought but may as well sell on the clips I bought..have the double pronged clips and some single pronged alligator clips (they have little teeth on the egde) if anyone is interested..

Nae- I won a set of your clips in a FB auction- they are just gorgeous!!

I have been making clip holders as presents and used on the the girls 'artworks' to make a clip holder, wish i ahd the $$ to buy more clips and make some... i love the clips.. so do the girls... anyone need us to 'sample' them let me know

My DD was given a hairclip holder for her 2nd birthday recently and since then, she just LOVES clips in her hair!!! best present!! It's beautiful and hangs on her wall displaying her clips. My friend got it off a mum who makes them and sells them via FB

I have been thinking of making my own hairclips for DD now.... they are so cute!!

Glad to find this thread. I am offline now but will be back to post more later