Thread: New blog about different countries

Talking New blog about different countries

So after the super success of my 2012 blog (12 hobbies in 12 months - here - the lawyer wants a hobby I have decided to do another one this year.

And here it is !! four kids and country

Basically, I will be learning about a country every month ...

Starting with India!

So lay it on me ... have you been? Do you love it? What did you see? What do you remember? How old were you?

Share here, or do comments on the blog (maybe when I've uploaded the info that it's India ... give me a day!) and do tell ...

And then I need to pick my other 11 countries ...

I'm debating between the "obvious" (China, France, Spain, Italy, Egypt, Singapore) and the obscure (Luxembourg, Benin, etc).

I'm thinking of definitely doing one from each continent.

I'm thinking (in no order):-

1.Australia (not sure whether I'll do a state or a time period or politics or history or whatever ... is Sovereign Hill still around? Then there's the eureka stockade and the Grampians and all sorts ...)
    2.Africa (Madagascar, northern, southern, eastern, not sure!)
    3.Asia (India, and then at least one more)
    4.Europe (something eastern, something western ... maybe russia?)
    5.Antarctica
    6.America (probably Canada ... maybe Alaska ...?)
    7.South America (not sure what country)
    8.Something islandy ...

Vietnam fascinates me, as does Madagascar, and Antarctica.

I've been to Turkey and travelled a fair bit around it, in my holiday between year 12 and uni - but it would be interesting to look at it with more grown up eyes, and compare my understanding of it then to now. Even my difference in understanding of the religions practiced has deepened enormously over the past 14 years. That would be interesting ... And of course the differences between the asian side and the euopean side of the Bosphorous ...

Hmmm.

Thoughts? Votes?

Default New blog about different countries

I vote you need to visit each country. Each month. Wouldn't that be fun? Or send a delegate. I will happily volunteer

There's tonne of Pacific island countries that are awesome - beautiful and fascinating, with lots of interesting historical tidbits. For example did you know that the Battle of Peleliu on Palau was the bloodiest battle of the Second World War? I'm terms of number of casualties? Yet hardly anyone has heard of Palau and if they have it is because of Survivor, not the war. Maybe that's a good thing...?

And did you know that there is a spot on the Vanuatu island of Espiritu Santo called Million Dollar Point, where at the end of the same war, the allied forces (Americans basically) drove all their tanks off a pier into the water because it was too expensive to ship them home? Likewise their guns and ammunitions? And other bits and pieces - cars, pots and pans, etc. And they are all still there. Incredible!

This sounds amazing! Sorry, no help here, but I will definitley be following your blog. I'm sure I will learn a lot

Sounds like a great idea!

I vote for Iceland for the islandy-country. Fascinating ancient history (vikings, Irish hermits), volcanoes that changed world politics (Laki's eruption caused crop failure all over Europe, and amongst other things, resulted in peasants starving and revolting - voila La French Revolution), political firsts (first parliament in the world, first openly gay prime minister), occupation by the US from WW2 til just a few years ago, a sneaky separation from Denmark during WW2 ('they're looking the other way - lets secede, quick!'), most environmentally friendly developed country in the world (100% renewable energy use), economic sagas (big contributor to the GFC), and they even eat all sorts of 'strange' foods (puffin, rotten shark, whale, guillemot eggs).

I can tell you lots about it.

I think you should do the Philippines...mainly because I am going there and I have no idea about the place OR I could be your delegate and suss it out for you

I think it's a great idea btw.

I've been to Liechtenstein. You could combine your European and really small country into one if you did it.

Don't forget the cooking. At least one meal from your country with a recipe and preparation pics

That is definitely the plan.

But I think I should do Vietnam, and you should come to my house and make pho.