Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking up a hobby as an adult that is traditionally started as a child?

Default Taking up a hobby as an adult that is traditionally started as a child?

Has anyone done this?

I need a hobby. The last of my hobbies I gave away just before I got pregnant with DS, (I was ready to give them away and not ready to go back right now) and I'm now finding that I've lost myself. All I am is Mum at home and then employee at work and I have nothing that is just mine, just for me without interruptions.

I do like crafty things, but with limited space and two small children around I just can't give it the attention I want to. And it also means constant interruptions because I'm there.

So I would like to find something that a) gets me out of the house and b) is appointment based so that I have to go and not procrastinate or get distracted.

So, two ideas - one is horseriding and the other is dancing (probably tap). I have tried picking up dancing before but found that even though I was in a beginners class, the rest of the class were people that learnt as a child and are now basically just refreshing. I'm an absolute beginner and so found i got left behind right from the start which disappointed and frustrated me. The only way around this is private lessons.

And horseriding, well, everything I find is based around the idea that I am researching somewhere for my child to go. There doesn't seem to be much for total beginner adults. I don't just want to go on trail rides, I want to learn. Again I think private lessons will be an option, but it gets kind of exxy if kept up long-term.

Has anyone else done this sort of thing? Can you tell me your experiences?

Has anyone got any other ideas? Please don't suggest local short courses, I've looked in to them and there isn't anything that particularly interests me around my area. But I am open to other suggestions!

Where are you? My sister does adult ballet classes in Vermont.

do you live in melbourne? i know of somewhere that does great adult riding lessons- group ones

I am in Melbourne - NE Suburbs. Vermont isn't too far....

LC - Was she an absolute beginner in ballet?

She did some as a teenager, do you want me to find out if they do beginner classes for adults?

Yeah, sounds good! Thankyou!

I picked up horseriding (as in proper lessons) at age 24 and have been at it ever since I'm sure there are some schools you can try for private lessons. I'd start with private one on one lessons before going into group lessons (you need to learn something of an independent seat and arena etiquette before riding in a group). There should be some places around Plenty Valley, out of Diamond Creek, Hurstbridge, etc.
    Otherwise, you could always take up Zumba and get some dancing, an outlet once a week and a friend-making activity all in one

You could always try something like belly dancing or salsa dancing where everyone in the beginners class is really a beginner?

what about pole dancing?

Lots of good suggestions there. I've been to many salsa classes with DW and had a lot of fun, always plenty of beginners around too.

IMHO everyone should learn an instrument. You can buy a keyboard cheaply, use headphones and take classes or you could join a drumming circle (more fun but louder at home to practice!).

Mayaness - after I posted last I did a quick look up in the yellow pages and rang a couple of horse riding schools and amnow booked in for my very first private lesson tomorrow afternoon! You wouldn't believe how excited I am! I think I'm nearly going to pee myself!! (I wish there was a smiley for laughing so hard you pee yourself!!) I am going to one in Wonga Park. What made you take it up at 24?

Sagres and Danielle_NZ - Great suggestions. I've thought about pole dancing before because I like the acrobatics of it, but I couldn't find anything within a distance I was willing to travel, and then I got pregnant! I have also thought about belly dancing before but since being pregnant my hips have really locked up and I think I would find it frustrating if I felt clunky because I used to have really good hip movements. Although that might be what I need to loosen them up....hmmmm

I took up swing dancing about 1/2 year before i got pregnant with Jett with DH, but I had to stop with pelvic instability (the cause of my locked-up hips!) and it is something we both intend to go back to. If you ever want something that is totally fun and carefree to do with your partner, swing dancing is awesome!! People continue with it through their pregnancies too and apparently not one of them has ever gone over their EDD

Might look in to some other dance classes too. Or take up Zumba because I have had my eye on that for quite some time too!

For those that are interested.

Enpoint school of ballet does adult classes and the adult class is Tuesday morning at 9.30am until 10.30. Most of the ladies have never done ballet before and half the class is pilates based excercise and then some ballet. It's more fun than serious ballet! For adults the Tuesday morning class and Zumba are the only classes available, but for kids they offer ballet, jazz, pilates and contemporary. For serious beginner adult ballet There is Elance who only do adult classes.
    Last edited by Little Chicken; May 20th, 2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Stupid auto check and grammar

My sister has just started gymnastics for adults She was a fabulous gymnast as a kid, and has always been super flexible, so she has a bit of a head start but she did say half the class are literally beginners. She's loving it! It's a great workout and really fun.

Just wanted to recommend elance for adult ballet. It has serious beginners but also more advanced classes. I did ballet all through my pg with dd and hope to go back soon.

What about martial arts? I started a martial art as an adult nearly 10 years ago and haven't looked back. In fact, lots of adults start with no previous background. We've had some 40+ year olds start for the first time in their lives and absolutely love it. It's good because you join and you learn at your own pace, you don't have to keep up with anyone but yourself.

Stuff I've done as an adults as an absolute beginner:

• horse-riding lessons. I enjoyed it but it ended up getting quite expensive just for lessons
    • flamenco classes. lots of fun. cant remember why I stopped. good workout
    • belly dancing. loads of fun. stopped due to SPD in pregnancy. this is great to help you loosen your hips.
    • tango. the best partner dance in the world. stopped when I moved city and couldnt find one near me. to be taken up again sometime in the future. Dh will be dragged along until he loves it
    • yoga. great for mind and body. stopped due to SPD. will take up again when i can
    • pole dancing. 1 lesson. ouch!
    • ceroc. like rock n roll but not as hard as the jive. if you can swing dance, you'll pick it up quickly. lots of fun
    • salsa. decided tango was more fun and went back.

Are you after something to do by yourself or with a friend or DH?

The Space on Chapel does classes for all sorts of dance, absolute beginner through professionals, they are ace fun too.

Awesome! I finally took it up after years of annual trail riding and desperately wanting a horse since I was about 4yo! Finally got an old horse from a family friend that my parents bought for my 20th birthday (he just happened to be up for sale) and I got free agistment...the problem was that the agistment was in Warragul and I was in Upwey! So, after a few years of not very frequent visits and some dangerous exploits (he was old but still Off The Track Thoroughbred that I sometimes took out on the Korumburra road, or just pelted around their paddock in...I had no proper riding skills!) I decided to make the most of him and moved him to Lysterfield. Started proper lesson shortly after that, he died about 6 months later (spectacular fall I had and he got sick after that, had to be PTS). 6 months after that I got my current steed, who is now 14yo, has been my competition partner and we've learned heaps off each other, with so much more to go - having kids threw a serious spanner into the training works. Now I have him on my farm, with another two and two ponies for the kids (it's in my blog, in my sig). Kinda just built its own momentum Never looked back and it changed my life.
    I'd love to take up Irish Dancing lessons again - you've inspired me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast