Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking up a hobby as an adult that is traditionally started as a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    do you live in melbourne? i know of somewhere that does great adult riding lessons- group ones
    oohhh where is that?? i could so do that!

Thanks everyone! Some brilliant ideas and very encouraging stories!!

Laranna - do you know that martial arts is something that has never crossed my mind at all? But it really is a brilliant idea!

Tashybabe - you have done some brilliant aa\ctivities! I am looking for something just for me to have some time to myself that has nothing to do with work or my home duties!! Swing dancing will eventually get returned to with DH, so I am saving the partner stuff for that! I loved it too much to just abandon it! Yoga is out - I have to
    admit I get bored! I love watching flamenco, so it is certainly something I would love to try. I looked at it many years ago but there wasn't anything close by.

Arcadia - I've just seen the Elance Adult Ballet School website - it looks fantastic and at suitable times! That is one of the most frustrating things about adult dance classes, they presume that everyone that wants to take up adult dancing is a bored housewife and wants to dance only between the hours of 9 and 3. I work, so need AH classes!

Mayaness - Irish dancing - I would love to do that too!

Cassius - I've booked in for a private lesson at Parkview Riding Centre in Wonga Park. It is an indoor centre and she said that they move you in to a group lesson when you are ready.

I feel a little silly saying this but I actually took swimming lessons as an adult. I only ever did them at primary school and could never do it properly so took classes a few years ago. I loved it. I moved away from the area so had to stop.

What about an art class?
    I'd love to go and do horse riding

Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Indie - don't feel silly about that! I think it is really admirable of you. Most people shrink with embarrassment and make excuses as to why they don't swim/swim well/avoid water any deeper than their big toe. You did it because you felt you had something to learn from it which is why any of us take up lessons in anything.

Zarava - Art class is a great idea, and one day I will! I'm not sure I would really get the enjoyment out of them that I am craving right now. I also think I personally need to do something that gets me moving. I sit at a computer all day at work so kind of feel like I need the blood to start pumping IYKWIM. I'll let you know how I go horse riding tomorrow. You must have places up your way that have them?

For those wondering about horse riding, my lesson was fantastic! And not once did I feel like a nuffy for trying to learn at 'my age'! So if anyone thinks this might be something they would like to give a go to, I say go for it!!! There was even another lady there who was older than me having her second lesson! So definitely not alone taking up horse riding at this age!

Awesome, chick! Did you have the 3rd day DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)? Keep us posted - maybe a separate thread about learning horse riding? If blogs had been invented when I started I woulda done one

I sure did get the DOMS!!! I thought I was going to stiffen up tin-man style!!! But I'm feeling great again now! Ready for my next lesson on Saturday!

A blog is a great idea, I might just have to do that!

My friend recently took up swing dancing. She said it is a good workout and no need to have done dancing before. Also no need for a partner as they just pair you up and if there are too many girls they takes turns being the guy. Glad your horse riding went well!

Can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but I did start swing dancing a number of years back with DH, in exactly that setting you describe, and we both loved it. I had to stop when I got pregnant with DS because of pelvic instability. We've never got back to it, but we've promised ourselves that one day we would, but we are keeping it as an activity to do as a couple.

But I absolutely recommend it to anyone! It is heaps of fun, low pressure, and fairly easy to learn. In fact I even looked up the class timetable earlier today and finally found a class I think we can make it to. Just have to arrange babysitters! Will talk to DH about it tonight....

Keep suggestions and experiences coming though, because I am sure there are people in the same boat as me that are after suggestions for new hobbies!

Ouchies on DOMS! I reckon I'll get it when I hop on next - it's been about 3 weeks and counting since I mounted up last...damn this rain and the track up to our hill top being treacherously slippery! I reckon you'll be right after Saturday's lesson

I took up pole dancing at the start of last year. I got 3 months of it before I got pg and had to quit, I have gone back to it now when DD was about 10 weeks old and I am LOVING it! It is for everyone of every size!

And WOOHOO to the horse lessons!! Sounds like it went awesomely! as a rider myself, there is nothing like riding a horse! LOL!

OMG I want to do horse riding lessons and Ballet now

But my hobby is sewing and I struggle to find the time to do that but will definitely chat to DH about me getting out and doing something away from home without the girls

Something I'd like to try (and add to my collection of stuff tried) is go-go dancing. That looks like fun.

Go-go dancing? I didn't know you could get lessons for that. It sounds like awesome fun though! Bollywood dancing is another I reckon I could give a go to!

Beema- you'll just have to hop on that Lear jet we keep talking about and come over and we'll go to ballet together!!!! And horseriding in the afternoon!

I am loving this thread! Once this bub is born I am hoping to start kayaking, and have just started playing the flute as an adult beginner - thoroughly loving it, even if I am butchering Bridge over Troubled Water at the moment

I would love to start horseriding, have wanted to do it ever since I was a little kid, but am worried it'd be quite expensive. Maybe one of these days...

Kayaking is a fantastic idea!! I did that in late high school and loved it. I'd completely forgotten about it!

Another awesome thread I missed the first time round!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12