Thread: You know those vinyl covered fabric bags and things......

Default You know those vinyl covered fabric bags and things......

The really pretty funky ones - bags, nappy bags, etc that people sew themselves with the clear plastic on the outside???

Anyone sewn any of these, can you direct me to awebsite about making them?

I haven't made them myself, but I have sewn with mexican oilcloth which is similar to the PVC plastic. One thing to remember is that the plastic can stick to the foot of the machine and you can get uneven stitches. I read somewhere that if you use tissue paper or greaseproof paper it can help with that.

They would be pretty easy to make - make bags all the time that are so easy so all you would need to do would be cut the plastic the same size as the fabric and sew as a double layer kwim? If you like I can email you my bag pattern that I made?

You can buy fusable vinyl, I haven't tried it because it was really expensive & would have been cheaper to buy the product than make it

Thanks for the replies - Trillian I have a pattern I want to use, my main question was about the sewing part, do I just line the plastic with the material and sew it together, and do I need a special needle on my machine?

I never used a special needle, but because you'd be sewing a double thickness of it you may need a heavier needle. The few bags I have like that are lined inside with the PVC too so the fabric is sandwiched between it.