Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Day breakfast

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Default Christmas Day breakfast

So do you do this at your house? Of so what do you generally have to eat??

I like to have pancakes for Christmas breakfast. DH isnt a huge fan so I have them by myself. Last year was Dutch apple. This year I'm thinking red velvet. A recipe recently popped up on FB and I've been salivating ever since

Been doing it for years, usually croissants with ham cheese tomato, jam, honey, all the yummy summer fruits. Last year was bacon and eggs on the BBQ, this year I'm going to make cinnamon scrolls (maybe some brioche as well) leave the dough in the fridge and bake in the morning and just have lots of fruit, maybe some croissants (if DH gets his way).

OJ and champers for the non preggo folk

Nothing special for us. Unfortunately we're not usually home for Christmas morning because our families are far apart there's a bit of travel involved and we start Christmas Eve.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyshoes View Post
    Been doing it for years, usually croissants with ham cheese tomato, jam, honey, all the yummy summer fruits. Last year was bacon and eggs on the BBQ, this year I'm going to make cinnamon scrolls (maybe some brioche as well) leave the dough in the fridge and bake in the morning and just have lots of fruit, maybe some croissants (if DH gets his way).

OJ and champers for the non preggo folk
    I'm coming to your house B lol

What are these red velvet pancakes of which you speak? OMG. My carefully designed menu may just need some tweaking to include these.

This is the recipe. It's gluten free, but the concept can be adjusted for normal flour.

Gluten Free Red Velvet Pancakes
    Author: Gluten Free Gigi
    Recipe type: Breakfast

This recipe is free from: gluten, dairy/casein, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, and corn (if you use a corn-free flour blend and grain-free baking powder).

Ingredients
    For the pancakes
    1 ? cups Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free)
    2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar (or light brown sugar)
    2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    ? teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    ? cup dairy-free milk PLUS ? Tablespoon white vinegar (or buttermilk, if you eat dairy products)
    2 Tablespoons dairy-free butter substitute*, melted (or real butter, if you prefer)
    4 teaspoons red food coloring (I use all-natural plant-based colorings; use what works for you.)

For the glaze
    8 ounces cream cheese (dairy-free or dairy, to suit your diet)
    1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar (Make your own for corn-free!)
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Additional confectioners’ sugar and/or cocoa powder for dusting finished pancakes, optional but so pretty!

Instructions
    Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl or measuring cup; whisk and set aside. This will be your dairy-free “buttermilk” mixture. (If using real buttermilk, skip this step.)
    Prepare pancake batter by combining flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl; whisk to blend.
    In a separate mixing bowl, combine egg, “buttermilk” mixture you made earlier (or real buttermilk), melted butter, vanilla and food coloring; stir until mixed well, but do not over- mix the batter. (A few lumps are OK in pancakes.)
    For fluffier pancakes, let the batter sit while you make the glaze. (Up to 15 minutes is fine to let any pancake batter “rest”.)
    Combine glaze ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until very smooth; set aside while you make the pancakes.
    Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat; grease lightly (coconut oil works well here).
    Add pancake batter to the hot pan in ?-cup portions.
    Cook 2-3 minutes per side.
    Serve pancakes layered with glaze and dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Chocolate curls make a pretty addition, too!

Yep, we love breakfast as much as the other meals

We always have pancakes and a fry up, homemade soft pretzels, bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, muffins straight out of the oven, fruit. My Dad and Uncle used to insist on smoked cod (blergh!) and my Mum would always make them take the electric frypan and cook it outside lol.

Lots of tea, coffee and champagne. Everyone else has OJ with theirs but I'm allergic or orange anything so I just have mine straight

Thankyou. I may have to do a test run (or 3) to make sure they are perfect before serving to family.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Ours vary depending on what we feel and what I am working. Crossaints with ham and cheese or Bacon and Eggs, Pancakes.

Kids usually eat choc LOL as always get a cadbury stocking and usually opened and started fairly fast!

We did it for the first time last year.

We had freshly made fruit salad, and pastries (sweet ones - some apricot, some apple and some chocolate, and savoury ones - croissants with dijon+ jarlsberg + smoked ham).

Though now I want the recipe for the red velvet pancakes...

We usually have croissants or crusty bread with ham or salmon, and a spread of summer fruits the most important of which are the cherries! There may or may not be champers, the kids have fizzy apple, and/or we do coffee & hot chocolate with spices and a sniff of cream. We try to keep it low fuss because we go out for lunch.

Seriously? You can eat Christmas morning? I still wake at 5 and am too excited to eat. Will get something down me, but not much. Too exciting!

Oooooooh, I wish it could be Christmas every day!

Already too excited and tree not up yet.

We figure we eat enough throughout the day and are usually busy preparing for guests or getting ready to leave, but this year there'll just be 4 of us (maybe a newborn, or maybe just three and a labouring mummy!) so wanting to take advantage of any Christmas time we get to spend together! Too hot and too much work () for a cooked breakky so...

Might put a loaf of bread in the bread maker the night before and eat it warm with butter, honey and jam. Juice or smoothie, fresh berries, stone fruit and mango with yoghurt.

Default Re: Christmas Day breakfast

What did people do this year?

I had Coco Pops. We were at the inlaws, and they have a shed converted into a living area, bedroom and bathroom. That's where we sleep, and it has toast, or those little one-serve cereal boxes. So there wasn't a huge choice but it was still different from my usual weetbix lol.

We did an outdoors Christmas brunch with friends the Sat prior to Christmas and I served:
    Platter of fresh summer fruits
    Croissants and condiments
    Ham
    Cheese platter
    Prawns
    Cold smoked salmon
    Iced Cinnamon buns
    And as a light sweet, tropical fruit trifle with coconut custard

And coffee and champagne!

Ps actual Christmas morning we had croissants with ham and cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast