Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas present ideas for Inlaws.

Default Re: Christmas present ideas for Inlaws.

That's what I do every year MD but this year I'm stuck for ideas, hence this thread - which has made me look like a horrible person. The quilt is a nice idea and she does like that kind of thing but I'm not much of a sewer, I'm afraid. I'll have a wander around the shops and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the ideas though

Tinks I wasn't saying you were a horrible person. I understand that there are some really lousy people that we don't get to choose to have for family. And I get that it must be very hard to be insulted by that person but still rise up to treat them well - which it sounds to me like you are really trying to do. What I thought was pretty ordinary was the posts with insulting suggestions like adult nappies for gifts...., while there was a sense of humour behind these they did seem quite nasty and missing the point of Christmas and actually makes the 'giver' look like even worse of a human being than the person being given to.

I just think in this miserable world we find ourselves in these days, a whole lot more love and forgiveness is needed to those close (whether we choose them or not) to us, as hard as it is to acheive - believe me I know full well!!

I've done the charity gifts (I love love LOVE the "T.E.A.R. International" ones, because you get a card (can be physical or an e one) which says what has been given, and has a picture. They go from $5 to $5K and are just fabulous. I also know people who work there, and have confidence about the charity, which helps

I generally do that, or get books - book depository has a spectacular range and posts for free to your home/work, which works for me. I find it simple enough to get something in the general area of their interest (golf / biography / commerce / humour for FIL, art / culture / history / contemporary upperbrow literature for MIL, etc) and I rarely need to spend more than $20.

And it's always something in the ballpark of acceptability, so I feel good about my choices.

The last killer one was a biography about Alice Cooper, who went from shock rocker to semi pro golfer, and everywhere in between. Gave it to FIL last year, it went down VERY well. Was maybe $15. I've got the "Humans of New York" book for MIL this year, which I actually wanted to get last year, but it just wasn't going to be out in time. Can't wait to give it to her, she's going to LOVE it.

I ended up making a calendar with photos if the kids. I also wrote the kids birthdays in it because she seems to have forgotten when they are. I'll also get her something small to go with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12