Thread: First Christmas....what would you do??

Default First Christmas....what would you do??

Hi there, just wondering what you would do?

Recently DH & I moved to a mining town for his new job, we left behind family & friends when I was just 4months pregnant. We did go back for the birth of DS & were there for just a couple weeks. DH works a roster of 7days, a couple off, then 7nights & a couple off & so on. Anywho the issue is he is rostered on to work nightshift over Christmas, this means he will be sleeping during the day & working at night, so we really don't get to see a lot of him. As we are new to the town & don't have family here we would prob just join an "orphan's" Christmas with some of the friends we have made that are in the same situation. The thing is DH has said I should fly home with DS for Christmas instead, meaning he will miss DS first ever Christmas.....however we will get to go home & spend the time with family that haven't seen us in 8months, do a big lunch & so on. If we stay here, we will go somewhere for Lunch without DH with people I know, but not that well & he will prob rock up later for just a little bit. I know DS wont remember & doesn't even know what it's about, but it is a special time.

Just wondering what others would choose????

Hi Erin, oh what a horrible situation to be in.....if it was me i'd probably do what your DH has suggested and go home and spend it with your family and friends.
    Like you said your little man will be too young to understand how special his first christmas is , he doesn't know any different...it's just another day to a little bub. Next year however will be a different story, he will be older and will want his Dad to enjoy the day with too.......iykwim!!!! I'm not saying he doesn't want to spend his first christmas with his Dad...just at his age he wouldn't know one way or the other.
    Goodluck making your final choice.

We are ones who say that the exact day isn't that important, its what you do when you do celebrate. We have often had Christmas on Christmas Eve night & worked on Christmas day etc.... So I guess if I were you I'd celebrate a "Christmas" together as a family and go and spend Christmas day with your family so you aren't alone.

Do the whole thing together. Last Christmas my Mum was out & had to leave a week before Christmas, so we wrapped pressys under the tree & took piccys and had a nice dinner together just to have "Christmas" with her. It was lovely.... then Christmas day we opened pressys from friends & family but not our pressies ykwim?

I would stay and would not miss our first christmas together. Years later bubs wont remember but we always would. Could you do something special together no matter what time of day it was? Good luck with your decision. :hugs:

hi Erin

Just my two cents worth - as someone who is living in South Africa and who's parents are in NZ I would spend this Christmas with my parents in NZ in a heartbeat - even if DH was here working, the joy they would get as grandparents to spend their Grandson's first Christmas with him will be unbelievable and for you to be with your parents and family will be fantastic. I have regretably due to circumstances I have been in spent too many Christmas's away from my family and not enough with them ....I know DH won't be there, if you could celebrate with him prior to you leaving and then head home. Have fun!
    Laurin

I think Christy's suggestion is great - celebrate christmas with DH before you leave, pressies, big lunch/dinner the whole works and then fly home to be with your family on the actual day. You have it both ways that way and I'm sure none of you will mind that your "Christmas day" wasn't on the 25th.

Thanks guys, I mentioned it to Mum & Dad they were soooo very excited that they have organised time off & the extended family to come to their house for the day. They are first time Grandparents & have only seen him once. Also I know I will be miserable on Chrissy Day sitting around spending it on my own - so we are going to book our flights very soon.
    Think I will go with the suggestions of having Christmas before we leave, the house will be decorated anyway & the tree up, so will open pressies, have lunch & so on when DH has a day off the week before.