Thread: Present ideas for 8 yr old boy?!?

Default Present ideas for 8 yr old boy?!?

I am totally out of ideas for DS' birthday this year. He is turning 8. He has all of the usual (lego, a bike, a scooter) but the situation is made even tricker as we are moving in June and will only have what we can pack into suitcases. So it can't be anything too big or we will have to leave it behind!

I need some good ideas from the amazing BB collective. Please help!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Default Re: Present ideas for 8 yr old boy?!?

Ipad
    Books
    Watch

Depending on your budget and how you feel about electronic games, a DS or Android version of Ipad or and Ipad mini. A mind game like Traffic Hour (packs up in a little bag), Rubiks Cube. Anything Minecraft, Skylanders (my DS loves to play with the Sklylanders charachters without the Xbox), just uses his imaginiation.

My ds turned 8 in January and we gave him some books, new school bag, minecraft figures, pokemon stuffed toy and a pokemon ds game. Plus little stuff, lunchbox etc. We do the want, need, wear, read philosophy here.

What about an IOU to use when you get to wherever you are going.
    That way you don't have to take it with you and is something to look forward to when you get there.

DS has recently turned 8. He has an IOU party for June and is happy about that. He is awesome. An IOU can work.

Presents, books are good. I love Lego, he will play it with me. Hexbugs keep him amused for hours and there are some sets that pack up small. Pocket knife? Victorinox do a my first swiss army knife for this age group. Useful for when you move and need boxes opened!

Otherwise, I second the tablet idea. With case and car charger. Preload on some books and games. The ebook of Fortunately The Milk is read by Neil Gaiman, for example, and keeps DS occupied for quite a while and I can listen along too.

Hmmmm. You guys have given me some things to think about. I really like the want, need, read wear idea. He doesn't have his own ipad but is the main user of his Dad's so I don't think we will get another. But I could boost it with some things like some more games or ebooks. The pocket knife is an interesting idea. He might like that! I should note that we are having a trip away as a joint birthday present (as we are all around the same time) so we are going to Norway for a week next week (Vikings - yay!!). So that is part of his present but of course it's nice to open something on the day as well.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions!!

I got my nephew a seedling planter for his birthday. Depending on when the birthday is, some tomatoes or strawberries might be fruited and finished in that time. The nephew loved it and they have since planted a garden, which is something you might be able to do when you move.

That's a nice idea Foss It won't work for us this year as we will be in limbo for at least a couple of months I expect (the pain of short term contracts!) but I will definitely keep it in mind for next year, or as a moving in present when we finally know what we are doing.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

What about binoculars and a compass!! I gave them to a friends son for 8th birthday and he loved them!!

A camera so he can take his own photos of your trip.

Hi guys! Thanks for all your suggestions. I was beginning to think DS is a bit spoilt as he actually had a lot of those things either here or back in OZ. But he mentioned that he would really like a little guitar (aka ukelele). He has one back home but just a toy one. So I had a look around and found an silent electric one (that you can use with headphones or an amp), which is perfect! We live in a flat so definitely don't want to be making lots of noise, and my hubby would like to learn the uke as well so if DS gets bored there is someone else who is keen. Its not an expensive one but it is a proper one so should be a lot of fun to muck around on, plus it isn't too big (just over 30cm) so we should be able to get it home easily enough. Whew, one more birthday decision done!