Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you choose?

Default What would you choose?

I managed to pick up a few barbies for the girls at a Mattel factory recently and had decided to get rid of the barbie fold out house they got last year (or atleast relinquish it to the toy room) as DD2 had decided that the shower and toilet actually needed to have water in them and has ruined the cardboard backing on the house.
    All the walls now push out and don't sit in correctly.

While my girls LOVE barbie and i am happy to get them barbies i am not happy to pay a small fortune for a plastic house that comes apart, breaks or the cardboard bends out of shape.

So we were thinking that maybe santa could get the girls a BIG barbie house (to share), having a look around they can cost anything form $150 right through to $300

SOOOO i thought i would ask my uncle who has made this gorgeous dolls house (att pic) how much it would cost to custom make a dolls house for the girls, one big enough to fit barbie and some of her furniture (quite large) and also tack on a garage for her car

I am waiting for a price back, i know it could easily cost me a couple of hundred and that is without furniture, but he does an amazig job (he has my pops talent) and it's something we could keep and pass through the family OR sell for possibly better value?

What would you do?

doll house.jpg

100% get the uncle to make it. Simple as that.

Default What would you choose?

Definitely the wooden one. I am so over plastic not living up to everyday use, and ocassional roughness.. Kids get excited and rough sometimes and then the toy breaks, so frustrating..

Not to mention it looks better!

definately the wooden one...my cousins are joiners and the quality of craftsmanship is amazing. my sister wont buy my nephew any plastic toys all wooden so they last x

The house from Uncle! Definitely. 'Cos if they're anything like mine (and go nuts over chocolate sauce on a plate ), plastic would be broken in no time. And a family made toy wood be much more special.

I'm completely over plastic toys that break and don't last.

For DS2s christmas presents I found some great wooden toys at Aldi - I've been buying them and putting them aside. I picked up a wooden rocket ship (closest thing I could find to a "boys" dollhouse).

I say go with the wooden one!

FWIW my pop made my sister and I a dollhouse for Christmas - I think I was about 8. My nan made all the furniture out of wooden pegs. Awesome, awesome present!

My nan & pop used to make all of our x-mas presents, i had a dolls higchair he made me up until i was 21 - even though it was slightly broken.. then it got destroyed when we moved
    Waiting on my uncle to shock me with a price...

Get them to make it definitely. So much more special. We are planning on making the girls presents this year!

definitely do the one of a kind if its afffordable

also if you are after clothes check ebay and search bulk barbie clothes. I refuse to pay more for an outfit for a barbie dollothan I pay for clothes for the kids! I got the girls 30 dresses and about 50 pairs of shoes for $30 and so far they are standing up to rough little hands (they are a year old now) plus te kids ffind it easier to dress the dolls in than the barbie branded clothing.

I'd get it made too! My girls have the one my dad made me - he is not handy at all so it was a massive effort, interestingly it is really plain and not huge but they seem to love it more than the commercial one they have! xx

definitely get it made!

I still have a home made christmas present from when I was 4. I would go for a quality product. The dolls house can evolve if the girls ever get over barbie, you can also redecorate the rooms (off-cuts of wallpaper or material) etc.

I would go for the wooden one. My mum still has the dolls house my dad made for me when I was a kid and now my son and nieces play with it. Still going strong.

Ok so we are getting it made and it's only going to cost me $200
    I've asked if possible for:
    Lounge, Dining, Kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom & Garage with if possible a bench in the kitchen & possibly a cupboard for some of barbies shoes

I don't know any specifics regarding design BUT my uncle has advised the size and it really is going to be barbies mansion

House: 800(w)x400(d)x1350(h)
    Garage: 500(w)x400(d)x600(h)

With him saying it like that i am not sure if he has built the garage seperate or if it is attached to the house - that would make the house 1300 wide so it would be both longer and taller than DD1

Woohoo can't wait to see the pics of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome pressie for the girls!

Me either hun, i am almost going to ask him for a progress picture

That sounds fantastic. I always wanted to get my Grandad to make me one for my girls but he has dementia now and it is way to much to ask of him. I ended up buying the one that Big W had. It is really big but lacks that personal touch. The girls will be happy and thats the mainthing though.

I can't wait to see the house and hopefully you get a photo of your girls when they first see it. I love those type of photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast