Thread: [ADVICE] Packing and flying with little ones for extended trips.

Default [ADVICE] Packing and flying with little ones for extended trips.

So, we're ramping up for an extended holiday - 5 weeks - in Hong Kong.

We have about 10 hours flight time each way, and will then be in basic accommodation (beds, linens, washing machine, kitchenette, play ground) for five weeks.

We will be taking clothes, nappies, shoes, books, laptop, a small number of toys, some movies, pencils and paper, camera, drink bottles, some toddler plates and cutlery, child sized headphones ...

Toiletries we'll get over there.

What else would you be packing, for the flight and for the trip?

All ideas and experiences welcome

Default Re: [ADVICE] Packing and flying with little ones for extended trips.

Take a medication bag.

Apparently phenergan is good but it didn't work for my boys.

Headphone splitter so can use two sets of headphones on same device.

A pillow can be good on flights (often they only provide mini ones and it makes it more comfy if you have a child laying across you) - but depends if you have capacity to carry. Check on the plane and work out how you will be seated - e.g. 4 all together or if only has rows of 3. Recent flights (5 hrs) planes have been 3 and 3, and we end up with me with the two kids and DH across the aisle. Although it might seem better to have 1 adult and 1 child each side of aisle - you may then have someone else in your bank of three - and makes it not so easy for the kids to stretch out and lay down once up in the air. With a bank of three, I sit up, DS lays mainly across me (he likes to dangle his head in the aisle and get it hit by the trolley, strange kid :-)) and then DD lays across the other two seats and attempts to not get kicked in the head by DS.

yeah if you can wing it (no pun intended lol) go for the 4 seat configuration on the plane. i love that with the two kids you can have them in the middle and they can stretch out with the little pillows and have sleeps while the adults get the access needed to loos and food lol.

just try to pack as little as possible. you are super lucky that you know where you will be staying and that it can be set up like home. i reckon that makes it way easier for entertaining the kids on batpoo boring days (hotel rooms can drive even the best of us bonkers!). also, hello, it's HK...you so wanna be able to shop lol!

have a stroller! i found my kids always get more tired in new environs and even if they dont use them at home. also good for lugging crap around.

just bring some of their all time favourite toys and sneakily pack some new exciting toys for either the plane and/or the new digs. it'll carry you through some of the crappy times of exhaustion and boredom

I always pack a "baby"/child blanket in my backpack as quite often the airplane blankies can be scratchy. And then they come in so much handy for other uses as well- something to sit on when out and about, in the pram, blocking out light when necessary etc.

I also pack a few small food items that I know my kids will definitely eat and that may not be available easily elsewhere e.g. vegemite, crackers etc. This is not just for the plane but for extended holidays.

Ok, so we have ready and able a pack for each boy, containing (or to contain):-

1. A backpack
    2. Snacks
    3. waterbottle
    4. a book
    5. an activity book (puzzles, etc)
    6. crayons
    7. a toy
    8. a prezzie from their aunt (enclosing a new toy and a new book)
    9. headphones

And we have ready to go a laptop (with an adaptor so they can have two headphones attached) with several movies and telly series, and lollipops - one each for the departure and the landing, for the ear popping, and panadol (in case there's any pain etc).

The plan is a play, a snack, a movie, a walk, repeat, repeat, land.

Anything else?