Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread #2

Sounds awesome hun!! How long are you going for? We have an Eagle too - love it although DH is wishing for an Expanda with even less set up!! Hope you have a great time!!

Awesome Kazbah, we go there every year! Ralph and Coralie are beautiful and the dogs love it. The last two years we've been (end of Nov) it's absolutely poured with rain, so we're reassessing the time of year we go lol. Last time we were there, Ralph was laughing at us, saying he'd seen us in our tent, then into a cabin, now with the camper - the only thing left for us to do is to buy one of their on-site cabins ;P

hey girls,
    any advice on tents (brand, size, configuration etc) for camping with dd 10 months old and ds 2.5yr old? We will need to take the portacot and mattresses for the rest of us
    we have two tents atm but they are one room only and it will be very close quarters!!
    planning on going for 2 or 3 nights and it's our first trip since a disastrous outing with DS when he was 4 months old.

Evening ladies Just crashing!

We're planning a camping trip for next week/weekend! Very excited!! Heading to somewhere around Hopetoun, WA. There'll be me, the 4 kids & our dog, as well as mum & dad & their 2 dogs. The place we're looking at has toilet facilities, but no shower :/

Mum & dad have an awesome set up. Troopy with pop top. Double bed up there. Solar panels for power. Waeco fridge. Mini gas stove thingy. There are BBQ's at the site.
    I have camp cots already for the kids. My brother has camper trailer & mum & dad also have a caravan with them, so I can choose between the 2. The camper isn't in great condition. We'll get it out in the next few days for a look, & the caravan only has 2 single beds. So not sure how we'll do it yet. Camper would have room for the kids, c'van won't.

Anyway, I can't wait! Been wanting to do a real camping trip in forever, but we never got there. I'll miss the shower, but I'm hoping the kids will have fun!

Clover - sounds awesome!! Have a blast! Our camper is 40 years old but we still have a ball in it. I figure if it doesn't leak, then all is well

Grub - we have a two dome/ two room tent that's okay for short trips. When we used it, we had DD's portacot, a single air mattress and a double air mattress. In the front dome, we had our supplies and our dogs. It was cosy but do-able, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it for a long length of time. Maybe have a look at a square style tent or one with multiple rooms if you plan on using it long term.

Clover - sounds like a great trip!!!!

Grub - I this it also depends on the air mattress you have - we have a huge tent with 2 rooms and a vestibule, theortically sleeps 6, but cause we have a high-sided air mattress it sorta turns it into a 2-sleeper only! But That's just me being wussy - my back can't handle the swag for long periods any more

PRMG - we've only been there once before, Pip was about the same age Quoll is now, and loved it! Although I think one of the first things we'll be doing when we get there is washing the dogs!!!

So tell me, how many litres of water do you think we'd need? 4 - 5 days, 3 adults, 4 kids & 3 - 4 dogs. I have one 10litre (I think) bottle. I'm thinking 4 or 5 more of them? I wish we had a woolies to pay $7ish. Round here those bottles are around $17 each! Might go down to IGA & see if they have any packs of smaller bottles on sale. See what bottles I have around here I can fill up. Ooh, hang on, my brothers big water cooler/esky is here. The lid isn't very secure, but it'll do. I'll just duct tape it

There's a reef just off the beach where we'll be, so I'm gonna risk freezing my butt off & get some goggles & snorkels so I can take DD for a look. I want that underwater camera even more now

Gosh I would be thinking 10 litres a day? Having said that my kids are big water drinkers and would have at least a litre each a day and DH and I would have over that each per day. I would bank on 1litre each a day per person.

I talked to mum about it. The troopy has a 50ltr water tank & the c'van has a 100ltr water tank. So with the huge esky (around 80Ltr) & the 10ltr bottle, I think we'd have enough? Town is about 30kms away, so we won't be hours away.

Woot! Finally got our Coleman dual fuel stove thanks to melbournemumma who picked it up from Sydney for us! Can't wait to use it.

We're cheating... second day of rain today, freezing cold, so me & the kids are in a cabin in Esperance. Too crowded in a 2 berth caravan & too cold in the troopy. Just had the most amazing shower though!

How's everyone going? Any trips planned now the weather is improving?

We haven't been anywhere since March so we're hanging to get going again. And after going to the caravan show and hearing over and over again how hard it would be to get anyone to conduct repairs on our camper, we decided to upgrade. We bought a 17ft Avondale pop-top, can't quite believe it! And sold our little camper the next day.

So we're heading off to Queenscliff in one month for two nights to christen it and take DD2 for the first time! Then six days at Eildon at the end of Nov. Christmas hols at Howqua and then a big road trip to the Gold Coast, something I've wanted to do for years. That's in April. Can't wait!

No trips planned here because we sold our lovely girl BUT we are moving to the beach so the whole of summer should feel like a holiday! PR your plans sound great hun! Hip hip hooray!!!! So many great trips!!

Your trips sound fun! We have one booked in at Malwala in Jan, at the big4 which the kids love as they always have jumping pillows. We haven't booked any others yet as we have booked a last minute holiday to Fiji but I am sure we will head out. Dh wants to take the girls overnight somewhere local. We are thinking of trading the camper for a van as it takes an hour to setup and it can be hard wrangling the kids. We think we would get what we paid but now to work out the cost of a van.

Woohoo on the new van PRMG!! Congratulations

I'm so jealous of you Tan, I'd love to live by the beach! DH & I are still dreaming about our holiday beach house

We haven't been away since New Years . That used to be unheard of for us , but business has made me so flat out that I haven't had time to plan anything. We have a trip coming up in November that I'm looking forward to though, I need to get away! The poor caravan has been so neglected, can't wait to crack it out again!!

Woohoo! Yay on the house Tan!

We are heading to Southend in SA for 2 weeks just after Christmas - can't wait. It is such a gorgeous spot!

Tan - Your photos of your beach spot make me really want to head down for a weekend. We've never been there before! Congrats on the house!

BR - The Big4 parks are great. We love them. The Queenscliff trip is to Big4 Bellarine, really looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about there. We opted to go for a van for the quicker set up time, plus when the kids are at school, I want to be able to stay away alone with them for as long as possible during school holidays if DH has to work. I knew I wouldn't feel as comfortable doing it in the camper. This new one has a queen bed one end and bunks at the other. Our friend has one that has a triple bunk.

Trish - Thanks! Once we made the decision to do it, we found a van really quickly. Hope your deserved break comes around quickly.

Nai - Southend will be beautiful! SA has such a beautiful coastline. Have fun!

We're going to mt gambier for the week between Xmas and new year. Can't wait!

Dh wants to drive on the beach from beachport to robe, has anyone done that?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast