Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The camping thread #3

Default Re: The camping thread #3

Mum and Dad are trying to find somewhere (preferably beach but open to suggestions) for the last two-three weeks in Jan - not too far from Melbourne (Wye River was where wanted but is booked out already) - as they will stay there with the kids in camper trailer while we are at work and just head for weekends. So many places seem booked up already - prefer the campsites with less facilities but open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by turtledove View Post

What is the youngest age you have taken a child camping?

We went camping with dd when she was 7 months and then when she was 15 months and ds was 6 weeks. It was easier when the baby was younger. 7 months was crawling and being awake enough to not want to sleep in the tent...

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Mum and Dad are trying to find somewhere (preferably beach but open to suggestions) for the last two-three weeks in Jan - not too far from Melbourne (Wye River was where wanted but is booked out already) - as they will stay there with the kids in camper trailer while we are at work and just head for weekends. So many places seem booked up already - prefer the campsites with less facilities but open to suggestions.
    I don't know if it's too far from you but I've been meaning to go to Joanna Beach which is in the ottway national park. The camp ground is owned by parks vic. Parks Victoria - Johanna Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    I don't know if it's too far from you but I've been meaning to go to Joanna Beach which is in the ottway national park. The camp ground is owned by parks vic. Parks Victoria - Johanna Beach
    Probably a little further than was thinking - but it looks lovely - one to investigate at some point for sure, will see what Dad thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Probably a little further than was thinking - but it looks lovely - one to investigate at some point for sure, will see what Dad thinks.
    We really like the look of it - Tinks any other recommendations for campsites in that Otways area

No, I don't. Maybe look on the wiki camps app.

What about the Yarra Valley? I know it's not beach but it's close enough to Melbourne to go up for a weekend. Plenty to see and do. I know some really good camping spots there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    No, I don't. Maybe look on the wiki camps app.

What about the Yarra Valley? I know it's not beach but it's close enough to Melbourne to go up for a weekend. Plenty to see and do. I know some really good camping spots there.
    I think they are set on Johanna bay for last week-ish as is the long weekend so the distance doesn't matter so much. Prior to that they may well like the idea of Yarra Valley - and I agree loads to do there - which campsites in particular would you recommend?

Hello campers!
    We're off to Wilson's Prom in a few weeks and it's the first time we've camped with three little ones. Hubby and I have camped quite a bit pre-kids but survived just fine with a little esky and a trangia. Suddenly I have no idea how we're going to cater for a hungry family of 5!
    So any tips? How do you meal plan when camping? What do you eat? How do you cook?
    I'm thinking I might try and borrow a little gas stove from my parents but also wondering whether this counts as a 'fire' and there is a no-fires rule year round. There are barbeques and washing up stations thankfully, so that should help us a bit!
    Any catering thoughts and Prom experience much appreciated.

I made up the meals and froze them. We only went for a few days so it was doable. All I had to do then was cook the pasta or rice. We had honey mustard chicken, beef stroganoff and a tomato pasta surprise.

Was super easy and we have agreed this is what we should do all the time now.

Have fun Santosha looks like great weather for camping. I have never been that organised with food, we use either stuff in camp kitchen or mum and dad's gas stove in their camper trailer (normally fine when fire bans). We tend to have lots of sausages, wraps, pancakes, potatoes, pasta.

Anyone any recommendations camping within a couple of hours of Sydney (blue mountains) for after Christmas - not fussed beach or not but dad having trouble booking anywhere (national parks can't seem to book so might just wing it but all advice welcome)

Okay ladies (and gents?) - I've decided to pack everyone up and get out on a camping trip next weekend (19th-21st), but I've run into a few planning issues. The biggest of which being I have no idea where we should go! Our vague list of things we want is:

- in/near the bush, with open skies for stargazing.
    - campfires allowed.
    - west of Melbourne, no more than 3-4 hour drive.
    - free or minimal fees on campsite.

I'd also love to take the girls for a play in the snow either on the way there or back, so something like that would be great but not necessary.

We'll be in a fairly basic 4-person tent, by the way. Definitely not "glamping"

You won't find much snow west of Melbourne. I know it's not in the direction you were thinking but I'm going to suggest Big River which is out Marysville/Eildon way. You can swing by Lake Mountain on the way home. Or even the Upper Yarra Dam past Warburton, you do have to pay there but I think it would be perfect for your family. The kids would love it.

Anyone any great ideas for Christmas gifts for kids that are great for camping. My two are camping with my parents for whole of Jan (while we work so I am envious) but we are at relatives for Christmas, we are not big on gifts but they are and want ideas for the kids, so either we need something suitable for their big camping trip (a few different locations) or something DH and I will bring home with us. Anyone use walkie talkies? I had some as a kid and have fond memories of the games we used to play using them and thought they might be fun for camping?

Sorry wysiwyg i have only just worked out how to get back on here. How did you go? I would have suggested mystic fire. They are little sachets that make your campfire flames turn multicolour

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12