Thread: A cruise while pregnant.

Default A cruise while pregnant.

Hey ladies,
    After your advice on what I would need to take, what documentation I should have etc.

I am going on a weekend cruise in a few weeks (it was booked well before I knew I was pregnant)

What do I need to be wary off...

I guess I need a letter from my doctor to state how far along I am (since your not allowed once over 24 weeks) anything else?

I'm very visibly pregnant already at 15 weeks, cruise is at 19 weeks.

Default Re: A cruise while pregnant.

The only suggestion I have is to get done serious advice about your m/s -- sea bands, scented tissues (the smell of chemical toilets, seafood etc might be problematic), extra thick toilet paper, things to keep you cool and hydrated, figure out whether your regular sun cream reacts differently (or if the smell is an issue) and find out what medical assistance is on board (ie: is there a Dr/nurse and an IV if you get bad?) etc.

And whether your travel insurance covers maternity stuff.

And I'm guessing you've considered already whether the trip can be postponed if you're too ill, or whether your travel insurance covers cancellation and rebooking costs?

I have thought about cancelling, but my mum would have a freak... It's a trip with my mum, her best friend and daughter.

I'm worried about the MS being worse, but figured I can't get too dehydrated in two days - positive thinking right?

I read an article lately where people got big medical bills on cruises. Even though they didn't need passports, they weren't considered to be in Aus so Medicare didn't cover them. As they thought they were only travelling domestically they hadn't taken out travel insurance.

Have fun!

Personally, I wouldn't eat anything on a cruise ship while pregnant. Food poisoning is rampant on those ships and listeria lurks everywhere!

Be careful!

Be very very careful! Gastro outbreaks spread like wildfire. Food is a worry too. I'd not risk it! Smuggle food into your bag!!

I am assuming it is p&o you are going on? If yes, eat at the al carte restaurant, and cafe's on board, not the buffet restaurant. Yes, there is still a food risk, but nowhere near as high as where everyone could possibly contaminate food..

Honestly though, with what I have read of your pregnancy, I wouldn't be going, even for a weekend. There are huge call out fees for medical fees on board, and I don't think travel insurance covers pregnancy, and you are not covered by the Australian Medicare system.

I love cruising. I have never been ill from ship food either, and have spent over a year of my life at sea. Odd so many others have been on dodgy cruises.

Not going is clearly not an option for you, so you're obviously going to go. Others may not, their choice, but they don't need to give it imo. Doesn't help you.

I don't think your ms/hg and migraines can get worse, but have a plan in case it hits hard, like where you'll sit during a meal and where the nearest loo is. Wear bump accentuating clothes so people are extra accommodating of your needs.

And stick to small amounts of plain food. You wouldn't manage much else on land, so don't try it at sea!

Someone mentioned you can't get travel insurance while pregnant. I just wanted to say yes you can.
    I went to Italy at 30 weeks pregnant and I found travel insurance. It's easy if you don't have any pre existing conditions. I had gestational diabetes but did find a company that would cover me!

Ugh you ladies make me worried - I don't want to throw up more. I hadn't even thought of travel insurance...

I will follow my doctors advice on wether or not I should go.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Def get travel insurance. My last cruise I got sick, had to see the inboard dr it was $175 for a shot of something to make me stop being sick. Excess on travel insurance was $200 so didn't cover that but if need something more for your MS it would def be exy.
    They have hand sanitiser everywhere on board if you can handle the smell use it. Agree eat at the restaurant not buffet, doesn't cost anything so you might as well as the food more freshly served after cooking.
    I'm a puker on sea and while pregnant so I have my fingers crossed for you that you'll be ok :/

I cruised through Malaysia and Singapore whilst 21wks pregnant, I had travel insurance and I had a fantastic time. I slept like a log and had an awesome nap every afternoon in the cabin. I was careful with what I ate but not overly cautious. Keep up your hand washing and sanitiser and all should be fine. It was a wonderful trip and it was very hot and humid so I made sure to drink lots of water, but honestly it was my last chill out before bub arrived. I had more trouble finding properly cooked meat in Singapore restaurants!!

I hope it works out how you want - it's a shame if the worry will ruin it for you. Good luck :-)

I haven't even thought of travel insurance...

Travel insurance is pretty cheap if you shop around online, just read the fine print and make sure it covers pregnancy!

So great news... I didn't get sick - I didn't require medical attention. I kept up my stemitel and zofran regularly as prescribed...

I had a fantastic time - laughed more then I have in ages...

The downside was I over did it, with walking and sightseeing...