Thread: Dillemma, to fly or not to fly with a toddler and while pregnant.

Default Dillemma, to fly or not to fly with a toddler and while pregnant.

Okay, dilemma?! I found some really cheap flights to the Netherlands. I will be about 26 weeks pregnant and travelling with my then 18 month old and hubby. I haven't seen most of my family since 2012 and only my parents and sister have met my little boy. I'm worried the time difference will muck up an about 99% awesome sleeper, breastfeeding (only once a day at bedtime now), and worried about the hassle of travelling with a toddler who never sits still. He won't get his own seat, so will be on our laps for most of the flight. Also am I better off waiting till baby is here?! We might not have the cash then, even now it's a squeeze. I have till midday WA time to decide, yikes. (I feel that maybe it's too much of a hurry decision and will probably choose against it. Would also need to organise his passport.)
    Any advice, ideas?

Default Re: Dillemma, to fly or not to fly with a toddler and while pregn

have you checked their conditions on flying while pregnant. Remember your gestation wont be the same when your return and some airlines wont let you fly past a certian point even if they sold you the ticket.
    Also, if the financial burden worth it. I understand seeing family you have not seen in a while but if money will be tight when bubs is born, would the money used for the trip be better off saved to help later on?

I went to the UK with a 16month old, she was great on the plane, although we did a stop over in Malaysia both ways so didn't have a flight longer than 8hrs. Breastfeeding is a saviour when flying and everyone complimented her on her behaviour. We booked seats at the front with the extra leg room and she sat on the floor and played a lot. We also had my iPad with Peppa pig episodes downloaded.
    It's up to you, how helpful is your hubby? Mine was pretty useless on the plane but good in the airports etc.
    not sure if I'd do it pregnant, just for the tiredness factor. In regards to the sleeping with time zones, I found she adjusted really well going over, worse when we came home but didn't matter then. They are usually so excited to be on a plane and see new things that they wear themselves out.

Getting a passport for your LO is not a big issue. I know its not the same but i went to bali when i was 8wks pregnant and 6 kids, then again when that baby was 5mths old and 6 kids and again when baby was 11mths and 6 kids, yes the time zone didnt change and the flight was relatively short, but im just saying it is achievable, really its up to you.

Go! it'll be awesome and if the price is right, wahoo!

Thanks everyone!!! Am about to book tickets!! So excited!!!!

Be aware there are many instances of women giving birth prematurely overseas and not being covered by travel insurance and being stuck until the baby is big/well enough to travel. I'd be more concerned about this than the actual plane travel.