Thread: The great adventure

Default The great adventure

Hey all,
    So dh and I are thinking about escaping and taking the kids round the country in a van next year. Eek!
    I am hoping someone or a few still lurk enough to maybe help me out with some advice,
    Firstly we need a van that will sleep the five of us plus maybe a small dog..
    Second of all, I will have all three in school next year, I've been looking at my options but I am thoroughly confused, any ideas of what may be best for us?
    Thanks all

Default Re: The great adventure

That sounds awesome!

Would it be for the whole year? First I would suggest finding a kind friend to leave the dog with - it is a whole lot of hassle and you don't want her getting lost while somewhere random or getting baked in the car if you get held up somewhere.

School wise, there should be some form of correspondence school that you can enrol them in for the year and then work it as you go. If you condense school down to actual learning time without all the breaks and lunch etc, it is really only a couple of hours a day. It would be easy enough to do that in the morning and then you have the rest of the day free for exploring.

Thanks Arte!
    Yeah we'll go for the whole year! We're kinda hoping that the trip will have two purposes, one being the great adventure for the 5 of us, and also we may find our perfect forever place to start afresh

Yeah we are tossing up whether we ask the in laws to take our dog for us, but haven't decided yet. Although a year being pet free would be nice for a change!
    I'm hoping to find some sort of schooling option, I'm pretty confident that I can do the work with them, and yeah a couple of hours a day at most I would think would be more than enough, after all I figure they will be learning and absorbing so much during the trip..

I know that Education Queensland do some form of home school pack for the year if thfat helps

Oooh, thanks Foss, hopefully nsw does something similar!

We did something similar when I was a child. I agree school work only takes up a couple of hours a day, and education outside the classroom is amazing. Make sure you pick up enough books!

Thanks Ca Plane, yeah that's my thinking too, they are going to learn so much every day, and well the formal schooling bit is just an added bonus I suppose.
    I started this trip with my folks when I was little, it got interrupted when my dad got sick and the trip came to a sudden end.