Thread: Items to pack ideas please?

Default Items to pack ideas please?

We leave for our family holiday this week and we are going overseas.
    Currently I have all the normal stuff on my to pack list (clothes, toiletries, travel games, passports, tickets, shoes, nappies, wipes, camera etc)

But now I'm after ideas for the other stuff, the left of centre stuff, the forgotten stuff if that makes sense? What else comes in handy travelling with 3 kids (7,5,2yrs)?

If any of that actually made sense?

Default Re: Items to pack ideas please?

We've done several road trips but no o/s trips, but I think the thing in common would be the long transits. We always pack a toy bag - small but versatile things like small ball/hacky sacks (active play), pack of cards/uno, blank paper & pens/crayons (think: nought & crosses, hangman, squares/paddocks), small cars/littlest pet shop critters, or even a small sealable box of lego. Kids might or might not dip into it while travelling but it'll be handy for quiet wind-down time at your accommodation too.

Torch(es) for the kids. Stingose & first aid cream. Depending on where you are going you might want to take some familiar foods from home (eg milo sachets, vegemite/pb in a tube, muesli bars, teabags), etc. Tissues/toilet paper. Floaties/goggles for swimming. Ginger based chews for travel sickness & plastic vomit bags. Those earplugs for the plane.

I am just back from OS but went to a 3rd world country so my list is very different to the average!

Things that I'd suggest though - small bag of little toiletries for carry on luggage incase check in gets lost (which ours did) until they find it, plus clothing in carry on also. Plastic bags for dirty clothes, etc. Medications that you may not usually use but just in case - gastro stop, a laxative also (don't get them mixed up lol), eye drops.

Have a great time!!

Some suggestions:-

1. If you're going somewhere humid, consider two pairs of bathers, as they might not dry overnight - and/or you might want to swim more than once a day! Consider also your own floatation devices, as they cost an absolute bomb in touristy areas ...

2. Hand sanitiser, if your kids (like mine) touch ALL THE THINGS

3. Buy bug spray there - our bug spray works super well here, but not at all overseas - different bugs, I guess ... so all our sprays and wristbands were just a waste of luggage space, as we had to buy them more over there anyway.

4. Pack a small amount of extras in your handluggage (pads, wipes, tissues, moisturiser, lip balm, nappies, medication, etc) just in case your baggage is lost or delayed. Take a small amount - enough to get you through 24 hours, just in case.

5. Have some new stuff for the plane ride there and back - some small new gift, to keep them occupied if and when the current favourites have lost their appeal, and some extra snacks. Most flights offer plenty of food, but if the kids get out of sorts sometimes the old favourites (a ziplock bag of sultanas, and another of crackers, here) hit the spot.

6. If you're going somewhere hot, take extra sarongs, or things that you can just drape and wear.

7. Extra batteries for the camera.

8. Playing cards. Or a small adult game, for you.

9. Don't overestimate how much reading you'll do ... I often take 5-6 books, and find that (now that I have kids!) I'm lucky to finish one or two ... the plane ride for me was 5% watching a movie, 10% managing people eating, 85% keeping the kids entertained, and 0% reading any of the stuff I wanted to read or do!

10. Is your 2yo TT? Is it worth taking one of those insert toddler seat?

11. I took a bunch of colouring stuff and mazes and dot the dots, and pencils and crayons, and the kids were not remotely interested ... but I did think it would be worthwhile! Maybe it would work for you? It didn't take up much room in the hand luggage.

12. A cloth nappy in the hand luggage for spills (on the plane, and while away) was very versatile and worthwhile.

13. Laptop with external harddrive or similar with some movies, and headphones (preferably with double adaptor for the headphones) if the plane isn't going to have things for them to watch, or if there's a risk of rainy days with no other entertainment available.

14. chuppa chups to suck on the way up and down, if the kidlets have sensitive ears.

15. loads of plastic shopping bags, if you're likely to need to tote wet togs or dirty nappies around.

16. a list of people and addresses (or f you're super organised, printed labels with names and addresses) for any postcards you will need to send.

17. a list of any key critical words and pronunciations for where you're going "can you please help me get a taxi?" "do you know where the *** hotel is?" "one black coffee, please" "no, I will only pay $***"

umm ... that's all I can think of, now

Second the two sets of bathers.

Lots of sunscreen (if somewhere warm).

Bags for storing soiled clothes (I also sort and pack types of clothing into washbags so it is easy to find stuff.)

Chargers for phones, laptops, cameras etc

Socks for the plane

Those U shaped little travel pillows are great for long haul flights when sleeping

Children's pain relief, scripts for any prescriptions

Not a packing idea but a security one.
    Scan and email to yourself and a close friend/ family member all your travel documents, passports, itinerary, credit cards, drivers license etc. it may come in handy if you loose your documents.
    Take rescue remedy with you. Great for lots of things. Take 4 in one medicated cream- get it from the chemist.
    Take a small drawstring bag that you can hang around your neck and tick into your bra- good for keeping some cash in.
    Blowup travel pillows are awesome.
    Tale painkillers and any prescriptions and prescription medication with you.
    Snap lock bags are very handy when traveling for food, jewelry etc.
    Travel insurance.
    Register your travel details online on the website below.
    Organise a variety of ways of accessing your money overseas, such as debit and credit cards, traveller's cheques and cash
    Register with your bank the period you expect to be travelling
    Check with your bank whether your ATM card will work overseas.
    http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/travel-smart.html

Can I ask which country or region you are traveling to?

I have nothing new to add but Have an amazing time. You have a had a big year and this holiday will be perfect for you all

Thank you all so much!! Some things I had on my list already, others I hadn't even thought of, floweryfields I had a good giggle at the consequences of getting those two mixed up haha

Thanks kazzo, it has been a long year, and will be nice to switch off for a little while indeed

We're off to somewhere nice (hopefully) in the Pacific, an island adventure

PN, dd is currently toilet training, awesome timing I know, but the plan was to have her out of undies for this trip, but she won't be entirely so I have to take nappies with us. I'm thinking I'll put her in undies for the plane, but still carry nappies on with us just in case. I dunno.

You could use pullups on the plane and treat them like undies so that if she have a little accident is not a major drama

Quote Originally Posted by beansbeans! View Post
    PN, dd is currently toilet training, awesome timing I know, but the plan was to have her out of undies for this trip, but she won't be entirely so I have to take nappies with us. I'm thinking I'll put her in undies for the plane, but still carry nappies on with us just in case. I dunno.
    I'd probably use pull ups, JIC ... don't want a wet seat ... ?

I'm starting to think I'll put her back in a pull-up, we have a two hour train trip, then the plane then transfers. I'm sure I could get success but I'm thinking it will be less stress on me if I didn't have to be so proactive in the getting her to the loo in time area. Downside is she won't let me know if she needs the loo in a pull up so I risk some regression again.

I guess to avoid that make sure you ask her constantly and take her regularly so that she knows that this is not just any bait nappy if that makes sense. Ds2 (3 and a half) wears a pull up to bed because he had accidents when he wears undies to bed but for some reason doesn't in a pull up. He also just takes himself when he needs to go which makes it easier