Thread: South Coast of W A

Default South Coast of W A

We are in Ceduna and heading to the south coast on our way to Perth.
    Tell me of some great places to see and or stay.
    Our first stop after Eucla will be Esperance

Default Re: South Coast of W A

There are so many good places it depends on how long you have. If it were me I would head to Albany after Esperance ( Albany is a big town so plenty of places to stay) then head upwards to the South West Coast checking out places like Walpole and Denmark along the way. The Margret River region is a must do I would def stay there for a couple of days so you can check out Augusta, Dunsborough and Yallingup as well as Margaret River itself. On the way to Perth stop in at Busselton then to break up the trip you can stay in Mandurah (it's an hr south of Perth CBD so you don't have to stay but it's a lovely area)

Between esperance & albany are some amazing spots. Camping/day trip places. The nullarbor itself is a surprisingly awesome drive. There's the old shelf, you actually drive along down in what used to be the ocean You can find shells in that spot (mundrabilla area from memory).

Just out of norseman is Bromus Dam. The whole thing is paved with flat rocks.

Stokes inlet is about 90k past esperance.
    Point Anne, & the Fitzgerald National Park, near Jerramungup.

There is a tree top walk just out of Albany... Denmark I think it is. There is also a settlers ship & old jail, & heaps of other things to see in Albs.

Margaret River I haven't done yet, but Dunsborough is beautiful. There is also Wave Rock, but you have to go up the middle for that, away from the coast.

Once you go north from Dunsborough there is busselton, which is also very pretty & Bunbury. That's where I get out not a fan of busy places lol.

I love Esperance. Dd is going to school down there next year. The esplanade has a jetty, & I think they may have access again, but they're working on it, so not sure. Pink Lake is worth a look while you're there. Head out to twilight beach for a look. A bit further out that road are wind turbines. They were exciting for my kids lol. And the warf (along the esplanade) is pretty cool. Seeing all the big container ships coming in.

ETA: sorry, I'll keep adding if you don't mind! There's an old telegraph station at eucla. I haven't been yet. We were meant to stop last time. It's slowly being covered by a sand dune.

(I'm very much loving exploring this side of the country. I'm near Wave Rock & have seen a decent chunk of the south west. Loving every new place we find.)

Are you going to see the whales at the head of the bight? That is pretty cool!
    Other than than my suggestions have already been covered, love Esperance and Cape Le Grand National Park, the forest-y areas and all the 'up' places, Margaret River and Busselton. I't a great part of the country!

if you want to go along the coast, Esperance - bremer bay - albany - margaret river- perth is the best bet.

Thanks for your replies. We arrived in Esperance today.
    We were amazed with the Nullabor. It was nothing like we expected. So many trees, shrubs and not much of nothingness.
    We will have a look at Eucla on the way back.

How long are you there for? Enjoy. I hope the sun is around so you can see the true beauty of the beaches

The sun is out today

We have another 4 weeks in WA and don't have to be back til early Sept. We have family in Perth who we will spend time with but pretty much on our own.

Going to try and walk along the beach but they are working on the walkway so will see how it goes. Then going for short walks to lookouts.
    We try and base ourselves and walk, this helps keep the costs down and is getting us fit at the same time, plus you see so much more walking.

Well if you can do it, ocean road is well worth the drive. It takes you round past the beaches, turbines & back into pink lake. I think it's 40km round trip.

We were there early last week for 3 days for a vet trip & it rained non stop! Lol

Are you 4wding it? With in 110 kms of esp, towards ravensthorpe are great free camping/$5-$10 (honesty box) spots. Quagi, Stokes Inlet, Fanny's cove, Margaret cove, munglinup beach & inlet. Past mungi, towards hopetoun is Starvation Bay, & Masons Bay. Both free. All have toilet facilities. Some flush, most don't.

Most of these I've been to in my standard car. Margaret cove needs 4wd, but you can go stay in a little sheltered area down on the beach if you have a 4by. Most amazing camp spot I think I've ever been too down there.