Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where have you travelled to?

Chalalan Guest

RunnerMum - I now know where the South Georgia Islands are! DH & I leave tomorrow for an 11 day cruise down to Antarctic Peninsula from Ushuaia, Argentina. Is this the trip you did?

BabyLove/Jen, I hope you are OK. I just heard about ten Australians being rescued from lifeboats in the Antarctic after their cruise liner hit an iceberg and started sinking. I SO HOPE YOU ARE OK!! It left from the same port as you too. Let us know when you get back. Praying all is Ok.

xx dusty

The report from the ABC news is
    Ten Australians are among about 150 passengers and crew rescued from lifeboats in the Antarctic after their cruise liner hit an iceberg and started sinking.

Authorities in Argentina co-ordinated the rescue, near King George Island in the South Shetland Islands, just off the Antarctic continent.

The MS Explorer was headed to Antarctica from its port in Ushuaia, Argentina, when it hit floating ice, the Argentine Coast Guard said.

Passengers had to get into life rafts in a sea where the water temperature is only one degree. The passengers and crew were picked up within hours by a Norwegian ship.

The captain of The Nordnorge told BBC television that all the passengers were on board his ship and were comfortable. There were no injuries reported amongst the passengers.

That part of the Antarctic remains full of floating ice even during the Antarctic summer.

Chalalan Guest

We're fine Dusty! We were on the "Antarctic Dream" and were the first ship to pick up the distress signel. We turned around and started to head back, but 2 other ships got there before us and luckily everyone was ok!!
    We missed one day of landing and excursions because of it, but it was more important to respond and everyone on board was glad that we were doing something, even if it was just co-ordinating some of the radio traffic.
    We only just got back last night and could read the news to find out what happened. Its so sad that that ship is at the bottom of the ocean with thousands of litres of fuel on board. The Antarctic is so pristine that its really awful to think of the environmental impact that this might have.

I would recommend this trip to anyone and I think that this diaster is really very unfortunate.

phew! so glad hun. can't wait to hear all about it. thanks for your PM. xx

Glad your Ok too....!

Sounds like an AWESOME trip !

Chalalan Guest

Check out my photos! Jen & Darren's Travels

It really was a once in a life time trip!

wow jen, they are amazing. i am so glad you got to go. and now you have visited every continent on the planet - that is fantastic!

Australia: NSW, VIC, SA, QLD

Favourite place in Australia is Byron Bay

O/Seas: US (grew up in San Diego, California), Mexico, Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong, Greece (Athens, Greek Islands), Fiji.

Favourite place Overseas: Yosemite National Park, California and Santorini, Greece (I got married there!)

saluta Guest

I have traveled to different places in my country. But when it comes to going abroad or outside countries I still have no opportunity of traveling there. I hope someday, I would have a time for it.

aust- perth syd. tas lvoe tas would live there.

me- France, England . Belgium, Amsterdam and Scotland- japan
    dh- Kenya, Malaysia japan and NZ

i live in nsw and have only been to canberra and qld but never overseas. qld was my fav!

Australia - Lots of WA, NT, Qld, NSW and Vic.

Africa: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia

Asia: Bali, Singapore, Malaysia

America: LA, San Diago, Vegas, Mexico

And lastly, Fiji

Next on the wish list: Italy. I've always wanted to go. But basically anywhere would be good, especially in Europe given I've never been.

Favourite place: Tough call. The Okavanga Delta is a truly amazing place - a smell that can't be described and colours and sounds that are just incredible. Otherwise, Royal Davui Island in Fiji where DH and I had our honeymoon. Sooooooooo romantic, peaceful and the most incredible food.

In Australia , Nsw, QLD, NT, And Broome WA.

Overseas, Singapore, Thailand(Bangkok, Phucket, Phi Phi Island and Chiang Mai) Borneo, Malaysia(Penang) Hawaii.

My fave would have to be Thailand.For sure, Shopping , Tropical beaches and Jungle all in the one place.

Been around Australia, all states except for Tassie.

Overseas - Malaysia (Penang, KL & Langkawi)

Have only just begun seeing the world but we hope to do Bali or Vietnam or maybe both this year!

Exclamation

We just got back from a tour of Tasmania and Victoria. We got to
    - Hobart (Salamanca Markets, Mount Wellington)
    - Port Arthur
    - The East Coast (Swansea, Bicheno) during the worst winds experienced in the area
    - Burnie
    - Launceston
    - Cradle Mountain (Deloraine, Mole Creek, Moina, Sheffield)
    - Melbourne (the MCG, a pancake place on Bourke Street)
    - Boolarra (via the M1, Trafalgar, Yinnar, Churchill)
    - Heathmont (via the M3)

I blogged on myspace and have the pics on flickr ... our previous trips included
    - The Great Ocean Road
    - Ballarat, Sovereign Hill, Mildura
    - New Zealand
    - Cairns (Cape Trib, Mossman, out to sea)
    - Whitsundays (with a drive from Proserpine to Brisbane staying in caravan parks: this second sector not recommended)

We plan at this stage to return to Tassie but there are other priorities before we do that ...

England
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    Spain
    France
    Belgium
    Holland
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Cyprus
    Israel
    Greece
    Greek Islands x7
    Corsica
    Croatia
    Germany

America
    Florida

Africa (North and east)
    Tunisia
    morocco
    Uganda
    Kenya

Caribbean Islands
    Antigua
    Guadeloupe
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Martin

Australia and soon to add NZ! (Jan)
    Last edited by Loula; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Forgot to add

I LOVE Australia thats why i live here (and that i married an Aussie!)

There's an excellent application on facebook which allows you to mark all the places you've visited

From small suburbs around your area to big cities around the world .. mine is quite Australio-centric .. what would yours look like?!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast