Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 bedroom 1 playroom, or separate bedrooms?

We have just moved all our three kids together into one room, the sleeping room, and turned the other room into a toy room. We decided to do this for a few reasons. Our house is quite small and we had toys everywhere you looked so we wanted to try and contain the toys and also DS2 is a terrible sleeper and hating being left out so we are hoping that this will improve his sleeping too. It's been two weeks so far and it seems to be working really well.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    This is undoubtedly the biggest advantage of the dedicated toy room - closing the door when you can't be arsed!!
    Absolutely!

My experience has always been that the boys want to be where I am. Play rooms just don't work because if I am in the lounge they just bring all their toys into the lounge.
    I tried putting a sofa in the playroom so I could lounge and read while they played but I never really used it so our play rooms have always been the least utilised rooms in our homes.
    Funnily enough they do play in their bedroom....

The advantage of 2 bedrooms if you don't have a spare room is that you can turf a child out so guests can have a room.

I have both my girls in one room (they are 4 and 2 yrs). We have a play area already, and a study, and a spare room, so they don't actually have to share because there's an extra room, but I wanted them to. I think it's good for them. At their ages I didn't think they needed a whole room to themselves. They get along very well and they like being in there together instead of alone. I would do it!

Children living with parents is love? What a sick, sick mind you have. Boarding schools. Now that is love. Share the experience.

Tempting as it is to have children sharing and a guest room, I think I may have to do separate rooms for Liebs and Stormy. (Although Liebs has stated repeatedly he wants to share rooms when the time comes...) See, I'm not helpful too, right Nutter?

I'm leaning towards separate rooms, actually. It's more the disproportionate size of the rooms that bugs me.

The number of times I've flirted with the idea of just moving home to have equal sized rooms ... not good.

When growing up, DH's room was three times the size of BiL's and I don't think they were that bothered. If you have bedrooms for sleeping only then the play-space is less of an issue. Can you put up a screen or internal wall and have a space cupboard/playspace and similar sized rooms?

Mebbe.

Trying to tell myself that it won't matter for ages, given DS2 is only 15 months old...

I like that thought. Here, we have three rooms and Liebling's room is about 1/4 the size of the other two bedrooms. Of course, that means that Liebs and Stormy could have the same sized room, but then DH and I would need bunk beds. But who wouldn't want that?

We're currently thinking that when we need Stormy to have a separate room to us, we'll convert part of the loft for Liebling. Who may well be at boarding school anyway at that point. And I can see how that is completely an option for you too LOL.

Hmmmm, interesting..... Do let us know what you decide....

I have pondered this for when #2 comes along (after they've shared with DH and I awhile ), but there'll be an almost 4 year age gap. I wonder whether DS will be too set in his ways to want to share. Like Zazou, DS only wants to be where we are, so a playroom is useless atm. All these reasons not to share, but I still think it'd be nice for them.... And DS can talk someone else's ear off in the middle of the night instead of his 3-4 nightly visits to tell us he's lonely!

We done have the playroom, but have the spare bedroom/sewing/storage room instead, which does work as a playroom as they girls do sometimes head there to play or get away from each other.
    The girls are fine together in the one room, only wardrobe space is a problem now which DH is going to rectify with some shelf mods

I completely understand where you're coming from on the different room sizes. DDs 1 and 2 currently share a room through their choice (thank goodness given that DD3's arrival meant that my work from home DH still has an office), but when the time comes that they want their own room, their rooms are a good 40% bigger than DD3's and that seriously bugs me too. Stupid, especially given that DD3's room is still a big room, but I really like equality for the kids. To my mind you never no what things will affect them, whether they realise its affecting them or not ITMS.

We currently have as I said above shared bedroom for DDs 1 and 2, single for DD3, and a toy room. We're in the process of designing a new house and I am very close to tossing the idea of a toy room completely. There are big advantages to a toy room - separate space for the kids, close the door on it etc - but I also dislike the way it segregates the family. So, I guess in your position for the time being I would probably move your treadmill, bike etc into the back room, have some toys in there that the kids can use while you're in there, but make it an "everybody" room, rather than just a kid room

Default Re: 1 bedroom 1 playroom, or separate bedrooms?

I only have one child at the moment, but I love having a play room! I would try and have them room together, but if they were keeping each other awake maybe move them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12