Thread: buying a house you and your partner don't agree on

Default buying a house you and your partner don't agree on

Hi, in after a few suggestions on what I should do in regards to a property my DH decided to buy after looking for a while on a family home. Basically the house had been on the market for a couple of months and it had been repossessed by the government a few years ago. Anyway the location is not great it's backs onto a freeway but not much noise which is good but there's a pedestrian bridge which goes across it and ends across the road from the house which bothers me if my kids ever find a way out of the yard it's probably the first thing they'd head for or the wetlands which is on the other opposite side.. It's a corner block so only have one neighbour.
    The area in general isn't bad but I'd worry about making the property secure enough so if DH does go away for work I'll be OK knowing we've done as much as we can to feel safe.

I'm still not convinced though I just wish we could rent somewhere that's closer to a school the kids will attend and rent the one we now own out once it's freshened up. DH is not a fan of that idea even though I've had sleepless nights thinking about this house he bought without me totally agreeing to it! I'd seen this house maybe two months ago and I didn't like it because I just thought kids and safety.
    There doesn't seem to be many in that street either..

Just feeling pretty tired and anxious about the whole thing and we move into it maybe end of July or start of August.

Default Re: buying a house you and your partner don't agree on

Wow!

I guess you need to let your husband know that this is a serious concern and he needs to take responsibility for ensuring the yard is secure and there is no way the children can get out.

Wow, he actually bought a house without you agreeing to it. That is not right.

Since he has done that, it is his responsibility to fix it so you feel safe. Make a list and don't budge.

Yep we had discussed this house and another potential one we'd found in a totally different suburb but couldn't decide out of the two although I told him I really didn't want the one he bought. I waited around the following day for a call to see if he'd made an offer on the first house but he didn't call so I tried calling him late arvo at work and that's when he said he'd put an offer on the second house. I was livid and blurted out all my concerns again but he slithered out of it by saying he was at work and we'll talk about it that night.

He said he'll put some sort of lattice extender panels along the side fence, change locks, fix the gate so it doesn't fall down, I said I wanted another dog and he kinda considered it but I know when the time comes to get one he'll find some sort of excuse not to and he may put a security alarm in but he's still researching them.

He said if I still felt uncomfortable or unsafe there after a month or so we can move into a rental or sell it but I know he'll change his attitude on that if it happened.

I suggest you don't move in until the house is to your required standard, even if it means staying with family or friends.

I know this is only one instance but to me it sounds like he is considering himself only rather than his family. Big decisions need to be decided by both people as you both have an equal say. I would be livid.