thread: Curtain ideas

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Curtain ideas

I've managed to score 20m of blockout curtain fabric for only 50c a meter. I plan to do all my living area's with it (my curtains are all borrowed/old).

The only problem is... it is all pretty much exactly the same colour as my lounge.

That'll be fine for the dining room & back door, but it'll be a bit much for the lounge room.

So can I dye block out fabric? Or is there anything else I could maybe do with it? I was thinking of maybe I could cover them with lace curtains from an op shop or something?

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2007
    Queensland

Re: Curtain ideas

Wow! What a great buy, well done.

I think you'd need a fair bit of dye to do curtains and I don't think it would really work well. The more natural fibres something has the better it dyes, so I don't think curtains are a candidate.

I do like the idea of lace curtains over the top. Or maybe a sheer curtain rather than lace (can be a bit dated). Spotlight often has lace curtaining on special and it is pretty cheap too. But I don't think it would look fantastic...

Another idea would be to move your lounge suite around the in room away from the curtains? Or get some cushions and throws to "break up" the colour. Maybe you could make some curtain tie-backs in a contrasting colour?

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Cover them with a sheer! There are some amazing simple sheer fabrics out there, and some of them are really kid proof!

You could also do pelmets in a different colour or texture, maybe? (I'm struggling to imagine how this won't look completely 80s, but it's something a bit different)

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Thanks guys
    Unfortunately my lounge room set out sucks & I went over board when couch shopping I have my 3 seater with 2 recliners, as well as a 3 seater futon, my tv, DD's dollhouse and a fireplace in a standard size (smallish) room. With 2 windows, one front & one back. Impossible to move around & break it up lol.

But great idea's. Thanks will try find something online & see how I go!