Thread: Oven - gas or electric?

Default Oven - gas or electric?

Hello! Long time no post from me! I thought I'd jump in here and ask you lovely ladies your opinions/experiences with gas ovens.

I've been researching new freestanding ovens and am leaning towards getting a gas oven. I know I want gas cooktop, just deciding on the oven.

There's not much range, especially since I only want 60cm, and Westinghouse appears to offer what I want. But I'm not reading great reviews on Westinghouse. But then it's only a few reviews, so maybe it's a good thing there's not a plethora of people out there complaining? Lol

What is your preference? Gas? Or electric? I'm not overly interested in self cleaning, or grill functions, so they're not selling points for me re electric. Gas appeals because it's not as drying, and cheaper to run. I think I'm just nervous at going gas because I've not used it before.

Please help?

Default Re: Oven - gas or electric?

I grew up with a gas oven at home, and first two places out of home were gas as well. This one is electric. For me, it's much of a muchness to be honest. I despise electric cook tops, so would have a conniption if stuck with them, but the electric oven is very similar to the gas as far as I'm concerned.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I have a free standing gas oven. I have always loved the cooktop gas part and had it in my previous houses as well. The actual oven part I'm not so fussed on. I prefer my previous wall over with it's lovely fan forced capability which the gas doesn't have.
    I find it hard to get great results with roasts mainly. Other things like pies, cakes etc I have no real issues with.
    My oven runs on gas bottles as opposed to natural gas however, not sure how much of a difference this makes.

This is a fan forced gas oven. So I'm thinking they should be much of a muchness as well.

I like a gas cooktop with an electric oven. I find that an electric oven cooks more evenly - although that could be because it's fan forced?

I agree with pp who've said gas cooktop and electric oven. I find it heats and cooks more evenly than gas. The results are more predictable time after time - I can cook the same thing and it takes the same time each time with electric. Gas was a little more variable....again, as PP have suggested, this may be due to our gas oven not being fan forced.

Quote Originally Posted by nickle730 View Post
    I like a gas cooktop with an electric oven. I find that an electric oven cooks more evenly - although that could be because it's fan forced?
    Agree with this!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Quote Originally Posted by nickle730 View Post
    Yes this is exactly what I think

Default Oven - gas or electric?

We've got a double Electrolux electric wall oven and I love it. It's brilliant. We've got an Electrolux induction cooktop which is amazing too.

Gas all the way!

Be wary of gas ovens, there are different laws to obay; it needs extra room for aeration, otherwise you might risk carbon monoxide production... We had one previously in our old kitchen. I much prefer our new one: gas cooktop and electric oven (less food falling into the gaps surrounding the oven )

Quote Originally Posted by Raupe View Post
    Be wary of gas ovens, there are different laws to obay; it needs extra room for aeration, otherwise you might risk carbon monoxide production... We had one previously in our old kitchen. I much prefer our new one: gas cooktop and electric oven (less food falling into the gaps surrounding the oven )
    That's why there is so much room between my oven & benches! I hate trying to clean down there!

I only ever had electric before I moved here. My last gas oven didn't seem to bad, but this one definitely cooks faster at the front.

Other than that though, I'm not too fussed either way.