Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What beds do you have for visitors? Ideas pls

Default What beds do you have for visitors? Ideas pls

I have 3 kids, 2 girls and a boy. Currently 4yo girl and 2yo boy share a room, baby in with us. Trying to start organising the bedroom reshuffle. Will have to get some furniture (beds cupboards), so need to have a plan before it will actually happen.

Additionally, i have been wondering about what to do when visitors stay. We have friends/family that sometimes visit and stay over. We used to have a spare queen bed, but had to get rid of it. Now, thinking about getting another, or a sofa bed (although not sure where it will go).

So, looking for some ideas. Do you have a spare bed for visitors? is it proper bed/foldaway/trundle/mattress? Does it get used by kids as a regular bed?

One option is to put two girls in a room. Could have bunks or bunk with double bed on bottom or two single beds. Or to have boy in single room with double bed that could be used by visitors and he could go on mattress in girls room/top and tail...

So.... how do you have your beds set out, or how do you accommodate visitors?

Default Re: What beds do you have for visitors? Ideas pls

When mum and dad stay, dad has top bunk (DD bed) DS stays in his, and mum has trundle bed that fits under the bunks. DD has camp bed in our room.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We have a sofa bed that is a double (usually have to move a lot of stuff to manage to fold it out oops). We also have a Queen size air bed which is high and is plugged in to inflate and deflate have had some issues with it deflating overnight.. Our couch is comfortable to sleep on for one night as well.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

We just sold our queen spare bed and purchased one of those plug in air beds. It automatically inflates and deflates. It's quite high not like the old fashion air beds. DH jumped on and did a pretend thrust x10 and he thought it was excellent bahaaa. Have had 2 lots of guests stay and both were so impressed they went and purchased one too!
    It works for us as we put it in the third bedroom but means when people aren't staying we can use it as a play room still.

We have four queens/doubles and five singles plus spare blow up and sofa beds. Room for everyone.

It is a 7br house though

We currently have a queen bed in the spare room and 2 king singles in the spare spare room but only one is set up. When we have our next child and need the spare room I'm thinking the kids can have the king singles and I'll replace the queen with a sofa bed so it doesn't take up as much space.

We have a spare double in the guest room and a few swags that can end up on floors as required. We have a double foam mattress that we use for camping. We will probably re-install the loft bed in DS's room when he's older or possibly put it up above the double to fit in families of guests.
    The most extras we've fitted in has been 8 as well as us........not much floor space left then in our small 3 bedder!

We have a spare queen bed in the back room. Also have a futon in Spocks room, that we are trying to get rid of now number 2 is coming. We also have a couple.of foam matresses that normally live under the beds to just pull out for visitors (or rolly pollies if Spock is feeling playful =) )

We have a sofa bed in lounge. Hasn't been used yet but it's there as an option.

We have futon in study that gets used fairly regularly. It's not something I'd sleep on long try but for a night or toe it's ok. And the couch is quite nice/comfy when it's folded up (I think it's referred to as a click clack bed/sofa more than a futon). It has storage underneath too so the pillows/blankets get stowed easily. Takes no more than a few minutes to set up.

DD has a double bed, and her girl cousins usually crash with her when they stay over.

Spare single bed mattress that comes out when dd is unwell and wants snuggles watching tv or when boy cousin stays over. Goes in floor in end bedroom. Small mattress from truck does the same. DH's bestie/dd's godfather happily crashes on either of these mattresses in the floor. Kids are happy to do the same. It's easy to set up and out away

Have a queen size air mattress that can go in the formal lounge/bar if needed. Hasn't been needed yet though.

We are lucky enough to have a study, so we have an Ikea sofa bed in there. Beddinge (new model is Karlaby). I like it because it has plenty of support, and because it's long & wide enough for a person to lie on without opening it right out. We also have a single foam mattress that lives behind the sofa bed which does most of the kid sleepover events, we could fit another down there if we needed to.

DD1 (13) has the spare queen bed so whenever someone comes to stay she gets shunted to the king single in DD2's room. When also have a queen air mattress and a 4x4 self inflating queen and single mattress that can all fit in the lounge room or on the bedroom floor if need be. If the two girls end up sharing a room down the track we will get the bunk with queen/double bed on the bottom to save space.

My mum always said that a child should not be moved out of their room when a visitor comes... We tend to stick with this. All the kids have king singles and we have a spare room with a queen bed in it. So it's a luxury that I can say that I won't move the kids. Some visitors are fun and everyone is happy to move about but some visitors are hard work and it's already disruptive enough to have them in the house but what must it be like to be kicked out of your bed for them? Just something to think about

We have a bunk with trundle under it in the girls room - any kid visitors sleep there. We have a spare single bed in the play room and a couch that becomes a double sofa bed in the lounge. All have been used a one time or another.

We are looking at a single bed that becomes a double bed for the spare room currently. There is one at ikea that looks good.

I used to have a sofa bed and some mattresses for when people stayed but I got rid of it all because it took up too much space. Now I just tell them to BYO bedding and mattress. No one has ever complained.

At the moment we do a bed shuffle (kids get kid visitors in with them, trundle and camp beds) and adults, if more than 1 get my Dad's room.

It was never part of our plan for Dad to live with us, so he took our guest room, which is ironically the master bedroom as I hated being at the opposite end of the house from the kids..

We will be building a new house next year, and we are going to have a lounge/guest room upstairs, and we are going to have a bed that becomes part of the wall when not in use. Our visitors are often long term (week or 2 at least), so we want a comfortable bed for them, and want to utilise the lounge room at other times..

We used to. Have a queen spare and children sharing in our 4br house. However our kids needed their own space and as we are quite a distance from our families, visitors are rare so we got rid of the queen and split our bunks into 2 singles. One of the girls has a trundle mattress if we only have one guest, but if we have a couple then either us or them camp out in our campervan depending on how mobile they are.

in our old place that was a 2 bed terrace we had had a king furniture sofa bed thingy. so when guests werent staying we had a nice lounge set in the formal lounge room. it could be both a queen size bed or two singles which was super convenient. and we also had a spare single mattress.

in our new place it is 5 bedrooms and we now have a spare queen bed in a guest room and a single bed in the study.

Have 4 bedrooms and a study/toy room. Ds1 and ds2 share and have king single bunks. Ds3 is in a cot in his room. Spare room has a queen bed in it and we have a blue up mattress we can put in the study if we need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast