Thread: What would you prefer to sleep on.

Default What would you prefer to sleep on.

DH sold all his snakes So the Spare room/office that they were all in is empty and I am doing it up to be our office.

It will also be used for when we have someone stay the night.

If you had the choice to sleep on a futon or a sofa bed what would you prefer?

Default Re: What would you prefer to sleep on.

I assume you mean a fold out futon, like a the bending couch things? If yes, then a sofa bed. Hands down.
    If you are in fact talking about an actual futon bed, then that. LOL

Sofa bed. I once slept on a futon for 3 months, and the mattress just isn't the same. Although the futon is easier up and down, and my weight may have made a difference. So basically, this post is no help

Aha! Found what you need

fold out bunk.jpg

Futon for one or two nights for me sofa beds always seem to have a metal bar that digs in, another option is get a decent self inflatable mattress you can get some that are knee high so right off the ground and are comfy. We used one with ds when I had to co sleep with the reflux dh slept on it for a few months as he needed a good nights sleep for work.

Sofa hands down, I hate futons

If a proper futon (not a foldy one) then that, otherwise definitely a sofa bed

I prefer futon. I don't like the metal bars that sofa beds have.

I chose to buy a futon over a sofa bed. But I chose a better quality futon. Not the black pipe line thing.

I've spent time on sofa beds & even with the new inner spring mattresses, they are really uncomfy. I think I actually prefer the old foam mattress.

My futon isn't so bad. You need to be careful you don't tip anyone off in the middle of the night, but I've spent a lot of movie days on mine & don't mind it

I'm yet to find a comfy sofa bed - if we stay somewhere with that as the only option I tend to take the mattress off the bed and put it on the floor. Metal bars are not my friend! We have one, and dh reckons it's not too bad, but we haven't actually had to use it yet for an overnight guest so I don't know how good it is lol
    We have a futon in our study and I've slept on it a few times. It's not fantastic but it's not as bad as sofa beds I've endured either. It's a good quality futon though - not a pipe one with mattress (used one of those as my bed at "home" when I visited for four years while I was at uni - this is a definite improvement on that one.

We generally give people the option of sofa bed in lounge, futon in study or mattress on the floor in spare room, and most often they choose mattress on the floor . Based on that I'd suggest getting a couch that you find comfortable and will use, as that will be primary purpose, and a decent inflatable air bed (you can get ones that go up and down in a couple of minutes).

Good quality futon on a wooden folding frame. We got one years ago for the second couch, spare bed, plus a bed we could take to events with us (DH has a dodgy back to air mattresses are out).

Think ours has a foam core, with wool. Has a removable cover. Makes a much better bed than a couch

I will qualify my answer: it depends on the quality of the futon or sofa bed. A cheap bad one is worse than no bed at all.

Our last sofa bed-type purchase was an ikea beddinge, our guests have been very happy with it. The karlaby is the newer version of the same bed, with an improved base design. So, I would prefer to sleep on one of those.

ETA and pay that bit extra for one of the better mattresses.

We have the IKEA Beddinge too. It has made me prefer a futon over a sofa bed but it's still not great for extended sleeping. The mattress is too firm so it gets painful after a few nights. I like that it's not the soft type of futon mattress that ends up lumpy and awful though. I think with a pillow top mattress pad added under the sheet when making up the Beddinge it would be great- I'm going to try that next time we set it up.

I like the old school sofa beds that had a foam mattress that pulled out a laid on the floor. The new ones with that metal bar are usually all awful. My BIL has one he swore to us is comfy and we wouldn't feel the bar and he was right. Slept on that for a few nights and it was super comfy. Seems if you spend enough money you can get a decent sofa bed.

You can still get the ones that open out onto the floor - ikea even has one (its quite small though) as well as Clark's rubber. I don't think they're too much chop for sitting on though, so if it needs to be used a lot as a sofa it might not be the best choice. There are lots of high-density foam options at Clark's that are quite comfy too, but you're getting away from having sitting-furniture.

I agree with the PP who said the beddinge is quite firm - we have a firm mattress normally so don't mind but others might prefer more softness. Another thing I do like is that it's long enough to lie down and snooze without opening the bed part which is handy as a nap zone.

OP have you decided what you'd like to get?

Hmmm, lots to think about. Still not sure so I guess I will have to go looking and laying

We have two guests staying for a week in a few weeks time. One will get a queen blow up and the other whatever we buy.

Went shopping with DH yesterday. We were very divided on what we liked and in the end DH got his choice of a futon. Originally we found a futon we both really liked. Great quality, and very comfy but non in stock for 6 weeks .

I really liked a sofa bed from forty winks. It looked great and was very comfortable.

Then DH found another futon and I think because it was half the price of the sofa bed that was his main push for it. It is nice though so.

If it's too comfy, you'll have guests wanting to stay all the time....