Thread: Birthing positions so Mama catches baby

Default Birthing positions so Mama catches baby

As the title says. I want to do the birthing myself, including being the first one to touch and hold my baby. I don't fancy birthing while lying on my side to do this. Any tips/positions I can use?

Thanks.

Default Re: Birthing positions so Mama catches baby

how about all fours, or in a sitting/squatting position?

I was on all fours, then flipped over to a sitting position and helped my daughter up and out of the water.

Are you having a water birth? My experience was similar to MamaK, and I was the first to touch and hold our baby.

No to the water birth, really don't fancy it. But I'm still able to move around easily, can currently go from all fours to crouching on knees or squatting no problems (9m pg). That would be a lot better, thanks.

If you are comfortable squatting (perhaps with someone supporting you from behind) you could be able to guide your baby out, and straight onto your chest.

I've never used a birth stool, not sure if that allows you the same option?

In my experience it is hard to predict! I caught DD2 when I was lying on my back and could reach down. DD3 I was squatting kind of leaning over a bed head but then the cord was around her neck and the cord was short (too short to get to my chest) so others had to touch first to do the untangling and get us both in a position where I could hold her, which was super awkward.

Are you planning a homebirth? Looking forward to reading your birth story to hear how it eventuates for you!

Wishing you a beautiful birth.

It's a case of seeing where I'm most comfortable on the day, really. But I've tried a few low seats around home and there's one place with a low seat that I think may be perfect. Have to see what happens on the day. I have my preferences but have some backups.

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy! (Yes, I've been stalking!)

How did it all go? Did you get to catch him?

No, he plopped out onto the bed and DH got the first cuddle. But there were so many tubes around I would have struggled to move enough to catch him, even if I'd been myself at the time. I got the second cuddle and lots of lovely skin to skin.