Thread: How much did your homebirth cost and what was included?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default How much did your homebirth cost and what was included?

We get this question a great deal - how much does a homebirth cost. Midwives all have varying packages, rates and services they offer, so let's get a list going for easy reference for everyone looking into cost!

Please share:

* What state you are in
    * When you had your homebirth
    * How many midwives and their cost (each)
    * What was included
    * How many pre & post natal visits and their duration
    * Were they in your home or in an office?
    * Was it worth the cost?
    * Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 12th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

* What state you are in - NSW
    * When you had your homebirth - Feb 2009
    * How many midwives and their cost - 2 midwives. $4500
    * What was included - Travel time of 2.5hrs each way to my house. Antenatal, birth and postnatal care. A library selection of books and DVD. Unlimited phone and email support. Unlimited amount of information.
    * How many pre & post natal visits and their duration - 4 antenatal visits and 4 postnatal visits (i was doing shared care with my GP so it didnt cost so much). Visits were anything from 2-4 hours.
    * Were they in your home or in an office? - In my home
    * Was it worth the cost? - Absolutely!
    * Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer - Just the continuity of care and the amount of time they'd spend with me discussing my fears etc. They also think the way i think so we clicked straight away. The older kids got to be involved, like using the doppler to listen to bub's heart beat and DD got to cut the cord.
    Last edited by Antheia; May 12th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

* What state you are in- NSW
    * When you had your homebirth - December 2008, another one coming up November 2010
    * How many midwives and their cost (each) 1 midwife $4000 (rebate from health fund of $700)
    * What was included - EVERYTHING - all antenatal appt's, books, dvd's, birth pool and pump, helping hubby to clean up afterward, stayed with me for hours after hospital transfer
    * How many pre & post natal visits and their duration - would have included all but only decided on HB at 30 weeks.... I think we had around 8 antenatal visits and they went for 1-2 hours each (including playing a little Wii once or twice lol). Post natal I could have had as many visits as I cared for, for up to 3 weeks after the birth (but always a phone call away if needed, even after that)
    * Were they in your home or in an office? Always in our home. Always worked around our schedule.
    * Was it worth the cost? every cent
    * Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer.- there is simply no comaprison. I have done shared care, had an OB, and unless there was something very worrying about the pregnancy I simply would not go any other way (this time though I am doing shared care for the majority of the antenatal appt;s in order to keep costs down)

Default Homebirth

What state you are in NSW
    * When you had your homebirth- 4 weeks ago April 2010
    * How many midwives and their cost (each) 1 midwife $3100
    * What was included- Midwife 1.5hours drive each way, birth pool
    * How many pre & post natal visits and their duration-once a month until 30weeks, fortnightly until 36weeks weekly till birth. Once a day for 10 days after birth(optional if you don't feel you need it) once a week for six weeks after birth. 24/7 phone contact
    * Were they in your home or in an office? my home
    * Was it worth the cost? TOTALLY
    * Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer. Personal touch, cups of tea and talking each visit was at least an hour. My children had hands on experience listening to the heart and feeling around with the midwife. Being RH neg, my midwife was also able to take bloods in my own home which I loved that I did nt have to go anywhere at all during my pregnancy!

* What state you are in
    - Western Australia

- 2 (Primary and backup)

* What was included
    - Pre,post natal and birth care and breastfeeding assistance. Had to supply your own birth things, such as pool and towels etc.

- about 12 pre and 6 post natal (plus one un-official visit because she was passing by)

- All at home

* Was it worth the cost?
    - Covered by medicare - so only cost was pool etc plus 12 wk scan. It was with Community Midwifery WA, so not a hospital program.

* Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer.
    - If I transferred to King Eddie hospy, they would have stayed my MW's (where as Ind MW could only stay as support person).

I loved it, loved it loved it!

What state you are in SA
    * When you had your homebirth 3 yrs ago
    * How many midwives and their cost (each) 1 @2500
    * What was included everything, pool, herbs, vitamins, antenatal, postnatal,
    * How many pre & post natal visits and their duration all "standard" scheduling.. 4 weeks then 2 weeks then weekly then daily phone until birth was there for 12ish hours with us then saw here daily for the first week then by phone until 2 week mark then again at 6 weeks from 30 min to 60 min
    * Were they in your home or in an office? my house
    * Was it worth the cost? ABSOFREAKINLUTLY
    * Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer. Love and friendship! attention to detail, respect! i was truley taught to trust my body and my baby!

*What state you are in -

NSW

* When you had your homebirth-

2006; 2009

* How many midwives and their cost (each) -

2006 & 2009 - 1 midwife and 1 doula (they work as a team) - cost $2 500 on both occasions. Should have cost $ 3000 in 2009, but I got a discount as I had used their services previously (2006).

* What was included -

pre-natal care; attendance at the birth, post-natal care up to 6 weeks after the birth; assistance with breastfeeding. They cleaned up after both births, and even did a little bit of house work for me (vaccuming, washing, folding laundry!

* How many pre & post natal visits and their duration -

Pre-natal visits were at least an hour in duration, started out monthly, then fortnightly, then weekly after 36 weeks. Post natal visits ranged from 20 minutes to 60 minutes, just depended on what I needed.

* Were they in your home or in an office? -

Pre-natal appt's were in their office until 36 weeks, the appt's were then held at my house. All post-natal care was in my own home.

* Was it worth the cost? -

Yes! Both times. It would have been worth double the cost.

* Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer. -

These things are not necessarily exclusive to homebirth, but this is what I valued about home birth. I gained a close relationship of trust, friendship and respect. My children were involved in the appt's (listening to baby's heart beat, applying gel to my tummy, etc). I never felt that my appt's were rushed. I was able to phone them on their mobile phones if I needed to, post and pre birth. I also valued the fact that I was birthing in my home environment, where I felt safe, secure and in-control. They never dictated how I should birth, they just let me get on with it. It was amazing!

Default Re: How much did your homebirth cost and what was included?

* What state you are in - Victoria

* When you had your homebirth - baby is due in a few weeks

* How many midwives and their cost (each) my lead midwife charges $4,500 for a complete package, which includes the fee for the second midwife (she works with a second for all HB, and I had a choice of a few middies for my second!)

* What was included - birth pool (La Blassine), all pre-natal and post-natal care, breastfeeding support (she's a IBCLC), lots of reading materials, full birth support including in-hospital if I had to transfer (she is one of the only MW who is allowed to be in as your MW at the Royal Women's which is briiiiilliant!)

* How many pre & post natal visits and their duration - at the start, appointments were monthly, for between an hour - 2 hours each time. Very thorough, lots of chatting, normally with my husband there too. From about 24 weeks, she came fortnightly, for about an hour at a time, again, very thorough, never felt rushed. Sometimes she came more often if she had to rush an appointment for any reason. From our birthplan meeting (with both MW, husband and doula), she comes weekly - so from around 35 weeks. The last month of appointments are with BOTH mws.

* Were they in your home or in an office? All visits in our home, so fantastic! If she ever has to cancel (cos she's at a birth) it is no big deal cos I'm just at home! No waiting around in an office!

* Was it worth the cost? Heck yes! I would happily pay double. You can't put a price on this care in our opinion! Even super-stingy DH thinks it's a bargain lol!

* Other things you found great to be included that you wouldn't have gotten with another form of medical carer. - haha lots of little things! A text message wishing me a happy mothers day from my baby... A late night visit to drop off some tubigrip cos my back was sore... A 3am call when I was 13 weeks to reassure me that my light fever was perfectly fine... Advice on braiding my own cord tie from embroidery thread...

Other costs: we have racked up
    LOTS of other costs, however none are 'essentials' I guess...

- Rhea Dempsey's Birthing Wisdom course - $550
    - Doula, including 3 pre-natal visits, entire birth, 2 post-natal visits, looooads of books and DVDs to borrow - $800
    - internal work private session (Pink Kit) with another amazing midwife - $150
    - Misc assorted supplies, such as drop sheets, buckets, hose etc - maybe $200 all up?
    - we had a few U/S for a medical condition early on, and a CVS, all up cost around $1,200 out of pocket I think - these costs would have applied for home or hospy birth.

So all up I think this pregnancy and birth is costing around $6000 or so, plus $1200 medical expenses. Worth every cent.

* What state you are in
    Vic but my birth was in QLD

June 2006

1 $3500

* What was included

prenatal appointments from 32 weeks (when we decided to have a hb, but it would have included all), lots of visits between 40 and 43w+5 when i delivered, to check on bubs wellbeing etc, attendance at birth, a few hours after the birth, all postnatal appointments, help with breastfeeding, always just a phone call away

maybe 12 prenatal and 5 or 6 postnatal prenatal appointments usually lasted around the 1-2 hour mark and prenatal appointments varied between 20 mins-2 hrs depending on my needs

most prenatal appointments in her home, until 38 weeks or so and then my home, all postnatal appointments in my home apart from 6 week one.

* Was it worth the cost?
    Absolutely!! not sure if I could afford it again though.

the fact that i carried til 43w +5d, always a familiar voice on the other end of the phone who actually knew you and knew your situation, a lack of panic when things didn't go quite as smoothly as they could have, a friend, a laugh while in labour, my partner and mum involved in appointments and birth, someone who took teh time to help me breastfeed, natural advice when i started having mild contractions at 34 weeks, someone who believed in me and actually seemed excited to be supporting me during MY birth (as a pose to the idea of them being the ones "delivering the baby" etc)

* What state you are in
    Victoria (Melbourne)

November 2010

2 midwives
    Pre and Post-natal appointments at $110 each. I had 10 pre-natal visits= $1100 and 6 post-natal= $660
    On-call and birth attendence fees were $1500 per MW
    Total= $4700

I also hired a birth pool for $198.

* What was included

Long consultations, excellent, personalised advice and further health recommendations (chiro etc), pregnancy monitoring, all birth equipment on hand, lactation advice & support.

I could choose how many appointments I wanted. I asked for a recommended schedule of visits and varied that a little to suit my needs.
    10 pre-natal visits and 6 post-natal visits.
    I paid for "1 hour" but they were usually around 2 hours (a couple were less and some longer).

In my home. I went to my MW's place once when she had car trouble and that was a cheaper appointment.

* Was it worth the cost?

Oh, hell yes!! The care was insanely better than I had at the FBC with my first son. These MWs *knew* things. They knew how I would heal and what would happen and it always was just as they said. Compared to MWs who didn't even give me a heads up on anything. They advised lots of alternative remedies such as homeopathics that I hadnt tried before and it all made for a much more amazing experience. They listened, took time, cared and empowered.

We've had heaps more HBs than this, get on it girls!

* What state you are in
    Victoria

January 2012

One midwife (with option of extra at no cost) $4000

* What was included
    Everything. Prenatal care, birth, postnatal care. Rebozo, birth pool, oxygen, postnatal meds if needed.

Prenatal monthly, then bimonthly, then weekly as required. Each appt was an hour or more.
    Birth midwife and student midwife stayed for hours after birth until we were all ok.
    Postnatal daily visits for almost a week, then 2-3 daily. care up to 6 weeks.
    (Appointments were based on my circumstances, if I wanted more or less, this would have been arranged.)

Majority in my home. Couple at my Mum's home because it worked for all of us.

* Was it worth the cost?
    Absolutely. No doubt at all.

Love, respect, nutrition advice, experience, love for my older child, follow up birthday cards, evidence based care, true autonomy.
    Last edited by HotI; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Default How much did your homebirth cost and what was included?

* What state you are in?
    NSW

* When you had your homebirth?
    January 2012

One midwife as primary care provider, plus second midwife as back up $5,000 in full, ($500 extra than normal for all home visits prenatally). Got $3,000 back from PHI

* What was included?
    Prenatal care, birth, postnatal care. Paid for own meds, birth pool (borrowed, but bought liner), oxygen tank, but these were all minimal cost. Lots of books to borrow, including children's books for DD1

* How many pre & post natal visits and their duration?
    Prenatal monthly, then bimonthly from 30 weeks (I think), then weekly from 36 weeks. Each appt was an hour or more. We often had lunch! All visits were in my home, so no waiting around.

Birth midwives stayed for hours after birth and cleaned up. They left when we went to bed.
    Postnatal daily visits for almost a week, plus more until six weeks. That was a sad one!

All in my home

* Was it worth the cost?
    Worth every cent. And then some!

My midwife is also a naturopath, which was useful. An ongoing support group with the other families (mostly mums) who had used the services of my midwife's group midwifery. Mostly homebirthers. Monthly meet ups on pertinent topics with an instinctive, natural approach to birth, breastfeeding, parenting, etc. Plus, ongoing contact with both of my midwives and being able to celebrate their births as well! Very much a community feel. Love, love, love!
    Last edited by Jennifer13; April 23rd, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

There are also tax benefits you can get at the end of year if your out of pocket medical expenses are over a specified threshold. You then get 20c in dollar back over the threshold.

* What state you are in
    NSW

June 2013

One main care provider with the option of a 2nd to attend the birth. Total cost $5000

* What was included
    Monthly prenatal care, birth and 8 post natal care visits. Birth pool for birth (liner paid for separately which never arrived). Newborn screening.

What actually happened was 5 prenatal visits at a half way location between us, 2 consults at home, 5 postnatal care. Maximum visit 1 hour. generally around 30- 40minutes.

An outdoor park or my home.

* Was it worth the cost?
    For our situation, no Due to distance, speed of birth and a couple of things. I saw a Dr almost as many times as I saw the midwife for scripts, scan referrals etc. There was the added cost of petrol for the hour travel to visits. I could have them at home if we paid and extra $30 per hour travel which equated to $150 per visit.

Longer duration of breastfeeding advice.

I had another homebirth since the last time I replied this thread!

* What state you are in
    NSW

May 2013

$3500- After medicare rebate $1900... One midwife for pre and post care, two midwives at the birth.

* What was included
    Monthly visits until 30weeks, fortnightly visits until 36 weeks, weekly visits until birth. After birth everyday for 10 days, once a week for 6 weeks. We had some medical issues with baby after birth (3 weeks after) midwife supported us by coming to the hospital for hours on end.

Written above. Most visits at least an hour usually longer.

Always in my home.

* Was it worth the cost?
    Yes yes and YES!

Again the personal touch, the hands on experience for my family. And now a long term friend we hit it off!