Thread: Anyone hired an IM for just for the birth - not pre/post natal care?

Default Anyone hired an IM for just for the birth - not pre/post natal care?

Just working out financial logistics of a homebirth, has anyone hired an IM just for the birth itself and not the pre and post natal care?

As much as I would love pre and post natal care as well, if it meant saving money I would happily forgo that care to be able to birth at home.

At this point I am looking at a hospital birth, as it's the finances that are stopping me from going ahead.

Thanks in advance

ETA: I would have pre and post care through the hospital locally. Hopefully.
    Last edited by ~phyrephly~; April 11th, 2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Default Re: Anyone hired an IM for just for the birth - not pre/post natal care?

The midwife we used could charge for birth only, but she also wanted a few appointments to make sure she knew your body etc. The birth is actually the expensive part, there is no insurance for that. Do you have any midwives that have medicare rebates? My second homebirth only ended costing $1200 after all the rebates!!

Default Re: Anyone hired an IM for just for the birth - not pre/post natal care?

I medicare claimed my last homebirth, I ended in hospital I have been in touch with my last MW and we are working something out as she lives a few hours away now. Hopefully it will work out!

The birth is generally the more expensive bit, but as more IMs are charging for individual appts (rather than a package) i assume some would be willing to do just the birth. I think both mum and midwife would benefit from at least 1 prebirth appt just to check you both know what your expectations are.

good luck.